SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-18, 07:31 PM   #1
EvidencePlz
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Please help! I'm desperately looking for a way to use Real Navigation with SH3!

Hi folks,

I'm a total beginner in the submarine sim genre so please forgive me if I mistakenly say something inappropriate. But long story short, I'm desperately looking for a way to use Real Navigation in Silent Hunter 3.

When I say Real Navigation, I mean there will literally and absolutely be no enemy or friendly ship contact on the map ever, and on top of that, my own submarine/ship will not be displayed either.

I wanna do navigation the exact same way the real U-boat captains during ww1 and ww2 did, and it's very important to me. I wanna use sextant, geometry, trigonometry, algebra, calculus, navigation charts, star charts and literally everything that's required to track my ship and enemy ship.

If required, I'll even use real paper-based graphs, protractors, compass, pen, ruler, sextants and what not! I'm going for absolutely authentic and hundred percent realism, the realism that the real u-boat captains had to deal with. Heck, if my math is weak I'll buy maths tutorial dvds to learn it.

I'm a big fan of the movie Das Boot and I have the 5+ hour long version that I've already watched more than 20 times. There was a part when the captain asked the navigator to know what the current location the submarine is located at, and the navigator replied by saying, "I've been tracking it and plotting it on this map but it's very inaccurate at the moment because of the ongoing storm and low visibility. I haven't been able to spot the sun properly even. So please give me some more time." I want that level of hardcore, true realism when it comes to tracking my ship and the enemy ships. I will absolutely not tolerate any sort of arcadism or gimmickry in my Silent Hunter 3 navigation.

I've been planning on downloading and installing GWX 3.0, one of the super mega mods, to accomplish this, but then found out that I wasn't sure if it comes with real navigation. I'm sure SH5 did, as when I installed the TWoS mod, it offered to enable Real Navigation.

So, I'd be highly grateful if any kind-hearted person can faithfully answer some questions:

1. Does the GWX 3.0 mod for SH3 come with hardcore, ultra-realistic Real Navigation which I described above?

2. If not, then which mod does?

3. I've looked into SH5 mod folder where it looked like TDW's real navigation mod might be useable in SH3 as well, as the original author Van (aka Kaleun_Freddie / K_Freddie) wrote some articles and help files on this mod. Is my assumption true?

Please note that I've already searched this website for hours for such a mod using keywords such as 'silent hunter 3 real navigation', 'K_Freddie' etc and got a bit far, but the actual mod for real navigation no longer exists as the site where they are hosted no longer exists.

Please help if you can. I'm willing to financially donate to you if you can help me with this. Whether I can use Real Navigation in SH3 the same way I'm able to in SH5 (thank you so much the author of TWoS for the awesome work) will determine if I'm gonna keep or uninstall SH3.

Thank you all in advance.
EvidencePlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 09:35 PM   #2
Thoth_already_in_use
Watch

Downloads: 96

Hello,

For the absence of contacts you can use "No map contact update" in the difficulty setting. It exactly what it does -- remove everything from map outside your ship.

For removing your submarine, you can look into this mod:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=551
I never tried it personally -- I hate this kind of micromanagement.

For the instruments, I guess you need the sextant (could be screen resolution dependent). I know MaGUI and Ahnarebe GUI already have one. And you need to be sure that SH3 correctly represents stars/sun movement in function of day and time.

Also you probably will need a weather fix -- the stock game suffers from a very long (~week) storms/fogs, making the navigation quite complicated.

But I'm not sure that it will be realistic. On Uboat you have a dedicated officer to track the submarine by it's speed/orientation. So approximate position should be known even without the measurements.

Finally, if you are not experienced, it is probably better to leave contacts on the map. Just to train yourself to take correct measurements -- with contacts you can always cross-check the distances and AOB. Real captains had real proper training.

Hope it helps)

Last edited by Thoth_already_in_use; 09-04-18 at 02:52 AM.
Thoth_already_in_use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 10:57 PM   #3
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Good answers. A couple of decent tutorials to see as well:

Of course it's not perfect but then neither is the SH3 environment. Compromise of playing style may be required.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 11:26 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You will also have to keep a constant eye on the navigation chart. One of the unfixable (so far) bugs in the game is that if you don't use waypoints the boat wanders. Your heading will change unexpectedly and you'll head off in some random direction.
Old 09-04-18, 02:12 AM   #5
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Honestly, if you’re a such a fan of real navigation for U-Boats, give you a favor and buy SH5 to install TWOS!
This is the only one wich gives you the real taste of real navigation.
TDW made a hell of a job there
And Vecko finalized the mod to make it CTD free.
I love SH3, but SH5 is far superior in that matter (real navigation)
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 03:49 AM   #6
Thoth_already_in_use
Watch

Downloads: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
You will also have to keep a constant eye on the navigation chart. One of the unfixable (so far) bugs in the game is that if you don't use waypoints the boat wanders. Your heading will change unexpectedly and you'll head off in some random direction.
Probably it just simulates the errors of the sailors. I guess maintaining a constant course for hours is a difficult task. But controlling such things is the job of NA. It is already enough that I do all the job for weapon officer.

Probably a good compromise will be NA still tracks the submarine, but for longer times the position becomes less and less accurate so there a need to fix the correct position from time to time. I think it will be difficult/impossible to realize in SH3.

Even if SH5 do these things better, it contains pesky Uplay -- I will not touch it with a 10-nm pole.
Thoth_already_in_use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 04:03 AM   #7
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvidencePlz View Post
I wanna use sextant, geometry, trigonometry, algebra, calculus, navigation charts, star charts and literally everything that's required to track my ship and enemy ship.

No need for geometry, algebra and especially not calculus. Pretty much all navigation was/is done with [spherical] trigonometry, and you don't even need to know that. Remember that celestial navigation was designed to be taught to sailors - not mathematicians. Most calculations had already been done and put into tables. All the navigator had to do was look up a few numbers and add or subtract. (The use of logarithms meant that even multiplying and dividing was largely unnecessary.)

A sextant, chronometer, almanac and time sight tables were (and still are) all you would need to find your position pretty much anywhere on Earth.
Old 09-04-18, 10:01 AM   #8
EvidencePlz
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth_already_in_use View Post
Even if SH5 do these things better, it contains pesky Uplay -- I will not touch it with a 10-nm pole.
Hi, Just wanted to share some feedback that's all. I have the UPlay version of SH5 (with TWoS and TDW/K_Freddie's Real Navigation enabled) and have had no problem so far. The Uplay client needs to be kept logged in and online at all times but it never interrupts the gameplay in any way.
EvidencePlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k_freddie, real navigation, realism, silent hunter 3, tdw