Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 03-15-11, 07:31 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Playable Challenger-2 is coming!

News from SBP.

A compromise - censorship requirements made them deciding against modelling a dedicated 3D interior, but the fire control system they claim to be precise - and typical British.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eSim, Ssnake
As I'm going to send out press releases next week anyway: We now have a playable Challenger-2 in SB Pro, and will present it to the general public in May.

It's an ... interesting, and decidedly British fire control system, I have to say, with differently behaving reticles for day and thermal sight. Someone deserves a thorough spanking for this.
We shall see at the ITEC if our solution matches the quality of the VBS model.
Quote:
Quote:
@Ssnake: Good to hear the Challenger will be playable Does this mean gunsights only for now?
Yes. They won't let us take us photos without censorship, and that censorship is so gratuitous that it renders the whole exercise useless. We have tried. Heck, the whole thing has been done entirely on our own initiative. We did it simply because we could, and because there was an open time slot for its development. I expect at least one more of these opportunities this year.

Quote:
Adding interrior when possible contract is in?
I'd be highly surprised to ever see that. Sure, if given the chance, it'll be done, but the reality is that the British Army seems to be predisposed towards other solutions.

Whitehall decision makers seem to be fitted for, but not with common sense.
Now what the poor beast needs is a better gun. In SBP, the Chally-2 so far is modelled with the first - and surprisingly inferior - gun it was equipped with. That tank has an unbelievable thick skin, but short fangs.

Maybe it gets updated with the coming release, too.

Old 03-15-11, 08:49 PM   #2
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0

Are you sure? I thought the CR2 has always had the L30?

The two part ammunition prevents burying the Sabot round into the propellant case as in the Rheinmetall gun, and the stowage limits the size of the projectile - the L27 is thus apparently only a bit larger than the 1980s M829, and L23/Jericho is considerably smaller. Similar considerations that limit the performance of "Soviet" 125mm rounds to their lower values.

Something like M829A3 is in a totally different class.
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 05:30 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

I noticed it due to comments made by Ssnake. They were surprised to see the Challenger being so weak in gunning, but that they were sure of their numbers, also that they had modelled the first version of its gun. Current models are equipped with a stronger one. Find the thread in the steelbeasts forum somewhere.
Old 04-02-11, 07:00 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

New SBP upgrade, amongst other content including the playable Chally2, is planned for release in Q4 2011.

As always, timetables given by eSim should be understood to have been given with an element of humour.

Means: the word to watch out for is "planned".