SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-19, 10:11 AM   #8251
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
Thanks for the coordinates. I'll have to see if I can look her up.
All of the enemy subs are in RGG (Random Generated Group), and as such, will spawn at various times of the day. and so many days apart, so you might have to wait a good while for that particular sub to come by. At the same time, while you're waiting, facing West as an example, you might have an IJN JyunsenB spawn behind you... keep your eyes and ears open!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-19, 10:30 AM   #8252
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
All of the enemy subs are in RGG (Random Generated Group), and as such, will spawn at various times of the day. and so many days apart, so you might have to wait a good while for that particular sub to come by. At the same time, while you're waiting, facing West as an example, you might have an IJN JyunsenB spawn behind you... keep your eyes and ears open!
Will do. Thank you.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-19, 08:00 AM   #8253
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
I looked at maybe trying to start a career mid 1944 to try this intercept. But the target date is 12/26/1944. Current career is late January 1944. So I've just decided to stick with it. Would there be a possibility of an intercept at an earlier date?

Also, current career, Balao out of Brisbane. My crew is repairing depth charge damaged torpedo tubes, and radio, while at battle stations and silent running submerged. I was under the impression that repairs were not supposed to happen under these condition. Am I incorrect in this thinking? They are not loading torpedoes under these conditions and I thought the same rules applied to damage repairs.

Also after the above scenario. I order radar depth and the crew member shouts it out.

Don't give them a chance to begin evasive action.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SucculentGro...athyKappaPride

Acer Predator G6-720
16 GB DDR4
Old 06-16-19, 08:25 AM   #8254
propbeanie

Shouting ~and~ making noise doing repairs while under Silent Running, eh?... A court martial is necessary when -if- you make it back to base...

I wish my boat would have lasted a little longer the other day when I was testing an encounter with that same group that you saw south of Davao. I purposefully lay-in-wait off of Formosa for them for observation, and found them. They found me, and I took damage, but it didn't take but three passes for them to finish me off - and the first pass was just a "maybe I'll scare them" 3-can drop from a 2nd class DD... I present my PM sent to team members:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie

I however, direct your attention to

SufferinSuccotash.pdf

The pdf linked to there has pix of the group, slightly different make-up, with no CA. Just notice though, that it's supposed to have been a single file Task Force, in light of the fact that it has an optional route into and out of Truk. We don't want two or three (or more) across groups trying to get through Truk Atoll and its restricted waterways... Anyway, the last picture in that pdf is about 30 seconds before I died. I went back into the control room in order to activate the Damage Control Team, at just about the same time that a third pass went overhead, and apparently put a couple of cans right on my deck plating. I don't see the Event Viewer come on too often when cans get dropped, but it did twice in that scenario. On the 2nd and 3rd passes both... sheesh... but I'll look into what you describe, because it is my understanding that the Damage Team in not supposed to be active under Silent Running - ' Course, if I'm in the torpedo room, and a valve goes shooting across in front of my face and bounces off the bulkhead, or takes my buddy's face off, I'm going to do something about it...

Old 06-16-19, 09:02 AM   #8255
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Shouting ~and~ making noise doing repairs while under Silent Running, eh?... A court martial is necessary when -if- you make it back to base...
I think that I should specify that the radar depth shouting continued throughout the game session. Even after all repairs had been completed and we were off battle stations and back to normal patrol conditions. Submerging to avoid aircraft detected on radar etc. Any time that I commanded it, I was still hearing the "radar depth" order shouted ad nauseum.

About those Elite IJN destroyers. I also have found them to be extremely effective at preventing me from making a nice clean attack run. The only thing that I have found to be of help to me, in shifting the balance of power, are a few well placed Mk 27s. And even then they have usually delayed my attack on a formation enough to put me into a much less than desirable firing position as the group has continued to move the whole time.

Acer Predator G6-720
16 GB DDR4
Old 06-16-19, 10:26 AM   #8256
propbeanie

That was the impetus behind "Stop the Shouting" - it doesn't stop, once they start... CapnScurvy had that fixed (eliminated), but we may have inadvertently interfered with the fix while trying to stop the extra "Yes sir!" and get the "Rudder amidships" to sound... We may have missed one of the files.

In the meantime, have you tried a Save game, exit, re-start and re-load the Save? That might "fix" the shouting - maybe. It will usually stop after you return to base and dock.

I'm wondering about the DE that was in the group - up front when I first saw them from maybe 12.5k away, but by the time they got to me, it was almost abreast the CVE, which was one reason I sent an electric its way when shooting at the CVE. I will have to identify that baby, and make certain that I've got the Group MaxSpeed set correctly...

Old 06-16-19, 12:31 PM   #8257
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
In the meantime, have you tried a Save game, exit, re-start and re-load the Save? That might "fix" the shouting - maybe. It will usually stop after you return to base and dock.
Have not tried it, but I bet it will work. I try to pay attention to what I read here in this thread and other threads. I am training myself to be in the practice of never loading a save unless I have exited and restarted the game.

Speaking of other threads. I have read where you were talking about the graphic display of day and night possibly getting out of sync with the AI day and night cycle. I was wondering how you feel about this today. Wondering because recently I got very close to a US B-17 dropping bombs on a Sampan at night. I think you may have even commented on it, telling me to be careful because I was so close. Seeing the attack made me scratch my head because at the beginning of that session I had left base in Brisbane and had not made or loaded any saves to that point in the patrol. Although I had used some time compression prior to seeing this. Probably all the way to max of 4098. So we can say that yes, planes do fly at night? I think I had read elsewhere in this thread that they were not supposed to? What are your thoughts on all this?

Acer Predator G6-720
16 GB DDR4
Old 06-16-19, 07:15 PM   #8258
propbeanie

The day / night cycle would not have gotten out of whack that much in that short of a period of time, and most of the US airplanes do have radar. Of course, how you target a wooden ship at night with radar... well that's another story... But yes, a lot of the US planes do fly at night, and a portion of the Japanese planes do also.

As Front Runner found the cycles, the "world" itself and the night / day cycle were two separate entities, apparently run by different timers in the game. He has his nVidia Inspector settings in this post:

Post 66 in Base Time 2018 thread

Which do seem to help keep things in sync, including when doing various real time and tc settings.

Old 06-17-19, 08:43 AM   #8259
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Small Oddity

I use the external camera, and once in a while I use it to zoom in on a nice kill to gloat over my victory. Something I noticed while checking out a sinking Large European Tanker was that its props were not spinning, but the engines were still running. That's probably ok, but the engines continued to run as the ship sank. In fact, out of curiosity I followed it all the way down to the bottom (about 1000 feet). The engines were still running as it settled to its final position.

I suppose that is inherent in the base game, but if not I thought you might want to check it out in your copious free time? I just crack me up sometimes!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-19, 10:30 AM   #8260
propbeanie

Following the tankers in the Museum, the screws on all of them do turn. I'll set me a few up for torpedo testings, and take some shots at some in the boiler area, and see if the engine sound stops then... It should cease shortly after going under, or if the boilers blow, but the game doesn't do damaged props or rudders very well either...

Edit: OK, quick run-through of the Tankers in a Single Mission, and even with hits in the boiler room area, ship in two pieces, props and rudders blown off, fire everywhere, and you can still hear the sound of the engines going, sometimes for a good while. I even blew one of the props off of the Medium Tanker, hit just in front of the stern, and the other prop kept going, and they were able to navigate and avoid my next shot at them, like there was nothing wrong. By the same token, the next ship, with minimal damage from a hit in nearly the same location (Large Modern?), and it couldn't do a thing to avoid a steep-angled hit amidships. The Large Fleet Oiler was the toughest, in that I had the first two hits were duds, then they "combed" the next two shots, one to either side somehow, but I did finally get it... We'll look into the engine sound torpedobait, because with some of the ships, the sound does stop, either as they're sinking, or if the hit is in the boiler area. Co-incidence, or by-design, we'll try to find out.

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-17-19 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Preliminary findings...
Old 06-17-19, 10:31 AM   #8261
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910
Default Ship Recognition Manual

I confess, FRSU is superb workmanship, Kudos to all involved. I only have one question regarding the recognition manual, (another part of my confession follows) 550... pages of this thread (TL;DR); but, why wasn't LOA or LWL data for shipping included?

I've been holding a pair of dividers against my display for the MHH, then leap-frogging that measurement alongside the length of the hull to guesstimate length for a fixed wire solution or using other Speed Determination formula. Was that the intention?

I realize I can pause the game and enter into the CFG file of each ship to retrieve the info, but that wasn't the intention I'm sure.

I tried adding OTC to the MOD mix; but it caused CTD after several seconds. However, OTC does add the LOA and/or LWL data, however briefly I was allowed to view it.

Maybe the data has been included and I have a bad DL on my cpu(?)...anyway, thanks for your great MOD.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-19, 11:59 AM   #8262
propbeanie

I'm not certain if CapnScurvy is going to do an add-in OTC for FotRSU or not. It would be nice to see that. In the meantime, there are more ships in FotRSU than most other mods, and the ones in the mod do not match anything in any of the OTC versions, which is why you CTD. I do have a "table" of the ship's lengths, but without any "naming convention" (just the ship folder names), which might not be too difficult to add... let me try and get back with you... Remember though, that for the ship's length, it is unknow which of the "length" values that are used in the cfg files, and they may not be very accurate anyway...

Old 06-17-19, 01:30 PM   #8263
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
As Front Runner found the cycles, the "world" itself and the night / day cycle were two separate entities, apparently run by different timers in the game. He has his nVidia Inspector settings in this post:

Post 66 in Base Time 2018 thread

Which do seem to help keep things in sync, including when doing various real time and tc settings.
Thanks and I will double check my Nvidia Inspector settings on that.

Of note to me. Possibly you already know. But Truk. Mid to late February 1944. The spawns are a mess. Possibly traffic files too. Streamed last night and went to the island with the Japanese airfield. On the SE side of that island found two IJN submarines spawned in siamese twin fashion. A freighter and sub chaser nearby. All stationary. Sank all four and was left with an icon on the map near where the sunk sub markers were. Icon showed warship stationary but there was nothing there. Just to be sure I took my boat right up to the icon and flew the free camera all around both above and below the water. Nothing to be seen. Went around to the docks on the west side of the island right next to the airfield. Looked south to the western side of the next island south and saw a column of smoke. Flew free camera to investigate. Found a beached sub chaser on fire. He may have been the only ship that was intended to be mobile and not stationary. All other boats encountered were stationary. Also saw lifeboat with crew aboard in one dock slip and found a sunken cruiser in the adjacent slip.

Acer Predator G6-720
16 GB DDR4
Old 06-17-19, 03:20 PM   #8264
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910
Default Ship Recognition Manual

Quote:
I'm not certain if CapnScurvy is going to do an add-in OTC for FotRSU or not. It would be nice to see that. In the meantime, there are more ships in FotRSU than most other mods, and the ones in the mod do not match anything in any of the OTC versions, which is why you CTD. I do have a "table" of the ship's lengths, but without any "naming convention" (just the ship folder names), which might not be too difficult to add... let me try and get back with you... Remember though, that for the ship's length, it is unknow which of the "length" values that are used in the cfg files, and they may not be very accurate anyway...

Tnx, Propbeanie

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-19, 04:24 PM   #8265
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann View Post
Thanks and I will double check my Nvidia Inspector settings on that.

Of note to me. Possibly you already know. But Truk. Mid to late February 1944. The spawns are a mess. Possibly traffic files too. Streamed last night and went to the island with the Japanese airfield. On the SE side of that island found two IJN submarines spawned in siamese twin fashion. A freighter and sub chaser nearby. All stationary. Sank all four and was left with an icon on the map near where the sunk sub markers were. Icon showed warship stationary but there was nothing there. Just to be sure I took my boat right up to the icon and flew the free camera all around both above and below the water. Nothing to be seen. Went around to the docks on the west side of the island right next to the airfield. Looked south to the western side of the next island south and saw a column of smoke. Flew free camera to investigate. Found a beached sub chaser on fire. He may have been the only ship that was intended to be mobile and not stationary. All other boats encountered were stationary. Also saw lifeboat with crew aboard in one dock slip and found a sunken cruiser in the adjacent slip.
OK, by February, the IJN is painfully aware of the fact that they will probably be getting a hot-foot at Truk rather shortly, so by then, their captial ships are leaving in droves. Here's a composite of the 43a Jap HarborTraffic layer, and the Jap BB and Subs layers,

first with the southwest island, with only two RGG:

then of Dubion and its dock:

And finally of Moen, which is where I'm suspecting you are seeing the issue:

There are three subs that can spawn in that shot, and what I think I'm going to do is move them into the Jap Harbor Traffic layer, by date, and attempt to "limit" them that way... There should only be ONE and only ONE sub spawning in each of the locations, but something happened... Part of the problem might lay in the traffic going through the atoll, and it might be that everything has to be "static", which is what Pearl is beginning to look like... We've actually got worse "traffic patterns" through these harbor areas than what we used to have... You would think that with the crews set to "Elite", that they wouldn't run into each other as much... - Anyway, looking into that (again) for the next release.