SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-08-14, 08:26 AM   #31
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

The last that CTV up here has is that it is down near Viet Nam about 120 nm away in the water. VN is picking up ELT signals.
2 oil slicks spotted off Viet Nam

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/two-oil-...shed-1.1720253

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 09:20 AM   #32
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

German news refers to info that there were two passengers who have not boarded the plane. Theories that it was a terror attack get fuelled by that. The two men have been identified, an Italian and an Austrian, whose passports had been stolen 2 and 1 year ago while they stayed in Malaysia. Both men seem to have nothing to do with the event, but their identities seem to have been abused.

Google shows two conflicts that Malaysia internally is busy with, both about Borneo, where there is a standoff with Philippine "Landbesetzer" that already led to exchanges of gunfire last year, and a radical Islamic group that wants to re-erect a Caliphate again, or a Sultanate. Malaysia by 60% is Islamic, with Buddhdists, Daoists, Confuzianists, Hindi and Christians also being present, but discriminated by law and administrative practice.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-08-14 at 09:31 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 10:36 AM   #33
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

One is a co-incidence, two is suspicious.
With Kunming last week as well, the odds are falling more towards this not being accidental.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 10:57 AM   #34
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Looks like the Italian passenger really wasn't on the flight after all. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...ampaign=buffer. It also seems that an Austrian who was supposedly aboard also had his passport stolen and is apparently safe. Really starting to look like this wasn't an accident now.

Last edited by Admiral Halsey; 03-08-14 at 11:09 AM.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 11:14 AM   #35
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Just on local radio...search efforts are concentrated in the area of the two oil slicks.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 01:32 PM   #36
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

The passport news is interesting.

If it were an act of terrorism, why blow up or hijack the aircraft in the middle of the ocean? Seems you would want to there to be a lot of people see the airplane explode or have them witness some sort of devastating 9/11 type attack in China. Unless they managed to hijack the aircraft and it crashed during a struggle to regain control

I can tell you it is damned hard to get into the flight deck of an airliner without just being let in freely. And i dont know how security is over there but in the US you'd have a hard time smuggling curry spice in your bag or shoes etc let alone an explosive device.

Why no terrorist groups claiming responsibility? they usually claim responsibility for every little thing whether they are responsible for it or not.
Old 03-08-14, 02:23 PM   #37
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
Why no terrorist groups claiming responsibility? they usually claim responsibility for every little thing whether they are responsible for it or not.
They propably got already dozens of claims by some obscure groups, weirdos and general maniacs. That's why groups like the IRA or ETA always used code words to inform the authorities and press to emphasize their warnings and claims.
Regarding todays means of communication, I would assume that fake claims probably grew during the past years,
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 02:54 PM   #38
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:

If it were an act of terrorism, why blow up or hijack the aircraft in the middle of the ocean? Seems you would want to there to be a lot of people see the airplane explode or have them witness some sort of devastating 9/11 type attack in China. Unless they managed to hijack the aircraft and it crashed during a struggle to regain control

I can tell you it is damned hard to get into the flight deck of an airliner without just being let in freely. And i dont know how security is over there but in the US you'd have a hard time smuggling curry spice in your bag or shoes etc let alone an explosive device.

That is the tricky thing, it certainly doesn't seem as though it was a hijacking of any sort since no beacons were activated prior to the aircraft impacting the sea, which would indicate an explosive device of some kind if this is indeed terrorism. In regards to why it detonated over the sea instead of over land, that is something that is harder to answer definitively, since we don't know the device involved, however a premature detonation is entirely possible, or perhaps incorrect timing.
However, I still can't rule out a catastrophic structural failure, despite the passport leads, when AF447 went down the crew didn't have time to broadcast any messages but the aircraft itself was still transmitting until it hit the water, for an aircraft to just suddenly stop transmitting dead mid-flight points to a rapid event...which, one hopes gave those who have lost their lives a swift exit rather than one of terror.
This reminds me more than a bit of TWA800, if I'm honest...
Old 03-08-14, 03:09 PM   #39
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
This reminds me more than a bit of TWA800, if I'm honest...
You think the 777's might have some flaw with the fuel tank like that 747 had? Then again why the lack of debris from the flight? Even if the thing crashed into the ocean whole you'd expect some stuff to have floated to the surface by now. Something just isn't adding up and I don't like it.
Old 03-08-14, 03:51 PM   #40
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
You think the 777's might have some flaw with the fuel tank like that 747 had? Then again why the lack of debris from the flight? Even if the thing crashed into the ocean whole you'd expect some stuff to have floated to the surface by now. Something just isn't adding up and I don't like it.
If they do then it'll be a first for them, the 777s have had a damn good record of service. It's not so much the cause that is bringing back memories, but the whole rapidity of the incident.
Old 03-08-14, 04:05 PM   #41
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
If they do then it'll be a first for them, the 777s have had a damn good record of service. It's not so much the cause that is bringing back memories, but the whole rapidity of the incident.
Wasn't that crash that killed 3 last year the first time a 777 had a fatal accident? As for the whole rapidity of it this is starting to remind me of that Air France flight that crashed a few years ago. No distress signal or anything from the pilots and the plane was transmitting right until it hit the ocean.
Old 03-08-14, 04:59 PM   #42
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Wasn't that crash that killed 3 last year the first time a 777 had a fatal accident? As for the whole rapidity of it this is starting to remind me of that Air France flight that crashed a few years ago. No distress signal or anything from the pilots and the plane was transmitting right until it hit the ocean.
That was more pilot error than mechnical error, they were doing a manual landing and came in too low and slow. I mean, I'm not saying the 777 is 'unsinkable', what goes up has to come down after all, but it's been flying since '94-'95 and has only had three hull losses in that time, with only two deaths (from that Asiana flight) caused.
The Air France flight has some similarities, however the plane was transmitting until it crashed, this flight just stopped transmitting, one minute normal operations, the next gone. In that respects it's more like TWA800 and Pam Am 103, both of which were caused by completely different things, however both of which occurred so quickly that the pilots weren't able to take any action, nor was the on board equipment able to transmit any data. Whatever happened to this aircraft, it's rather likely that the hull disintegrated at 35,000 ft which means that the debris will be spread out over quite a wide area. Of course, until the data recorder is recovered, this is pure speculation, which is at this time about all we can do.
Old 03-08-14, 05:22 PM   #43
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:

If it was a terror strike, then no hijack but a suicide attack, with explosives in hand luggage. Air port security is not flawless. It got reported in our newspapers yesterday that German jihadist mummies used to shuttle between Germany and Syria - with AK47 magazines, ammo and rifle scopes in their suitcases. Repeatedly. Also, many jihadist brides, age as low as 15, are flying to Syria from Germany, to serve as comfort women (and while that is reported over here, media cry crocodile tears about precious jihadist lives being used and killed as cannon fodder by Syrian jihadist veterans. I would say we are lucky they turn out the madness inside of them over there, instead of here in Germany. If they survive and return to Germany with all their additional experience in terror and fighting and indoctrination - then we have a problem with them. Not when they still are easily disposable). But I stray off. Sorry.
Old 03-08-14, 05:22 PM   #44
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
it's rather likely that the hull disintegrated at 35,000 ft which means that the debris will be spread out over quite a wide area.
Which is why them only having found an oil slick is so strange. You'd think they'd have found something other then that by now.
Old 03-09-14, 01:11 AM   #45
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Which is why them only having found an oil slick is so strange. You'd think they'd have found something other then that by now.
Only if they are looking in the right place and there's something afloat to find. Speculation is pointless uunless there is evidence to back it up.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote