SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-18, 11:47 PM   #1
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Icon14 A little old but not out of date

A good discussion of sea power from 2014 I found on YouTube:

It runs a little over an hour, so grab some popcorn and settle in.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-18, 08:55 AM   #2
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 7

Falklands taught the NATO alliance an awful lot about defense strategy and weapons capability.

The Exocet showed the west that reliance on anti missile missile defense was some what problematic which lead to the developments of Phalanx and goal keeper CIWS systems.

tactics showed that certain flight profiles can render blind radar systems something which has been addressed with the replacement of the type 42 and type 909 radar systems, it also assisted in the development of more capable look down shoot down radar systems.

Yet again we see modern warships being sunk or hit by obsolete and antiquated weapons platforms and systems the A4 being the primary agitator in the theater which by the time of the conflict was a 30 year old design sub sonic and had limited capability, yet had probably the best results.

What we also saw was also the dispersal of myth regarding the Harrier a lot of analysts shunned the harrier as ineffective because it had limited range and speed yet as we see through results that harrier took on much more tried and battle tested platforms in the Mirage III Daggers and won out against them.

What the UK learnt as a whole was that air capability by fixed wing aircraft is a primary requirement for defense of distant territories and also later on in 1991 as a coalition partner, something the USA proved back in 1942 with midway.

after the Falklands many nations that probably wouldn't have opted for a solution like the UK did in terms of VSTOL capability looked again, we see that in the navies of Spain Italy and India they slightly modified their in build vessels to operate harriers and thus the term coined "Harrier Carrier"
The harrier being a good platform earned itself the respect it deserved in many theaters but cut its teeth and proved its critics wrong in the Falklands war, and for only a few times in history the United states government purchased a foreign military asset.

For me right now looking at the capabilities of the Royal Navy as a whole i am afraid we have not heeded the lessons of the Falklands, currently we have 19 major surface warships (6 DDG+ 13 FFG) that figure is much reduced from 2004 levels (12 DDG + 16 FFG) and for now we lack any available air component for fleet defense.

One of the two Albion class LPD may also be paid off we have just seen HMS Ocean LPH bow out of service with no replacement, there are talks of scrapping the 7th astute SSN the new generation of FFG's will be reduced to 8 type 26's with 5 much less capable type 31's which will be more corvette sized.

The RN in my opinion has now gone beyond the point of sustainability in a future conflict, right now we do not have the assets to fight alone and we will require assistance in the future.

If we look the french navy are also struggling in these times, they are planning to replace the CDG in the next twenty years so what options do they have ?

I think personally the RN has most certainly shot itself right square in the foot by not opting for catapults and arresting gear, our biggest ally the United states wont even be able to operate off our decks in cross deck ops with their F/A18s yet they manage it with the french due to the CATOBAR systems in place.

Sadly i forsee a grim future for the RN if such a pace continues with cuts.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote