Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-10-12, 05:32 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Prepar3D simulator - who knows it?

Stumbling over a thread at simHQ, I wonder if anyone knows or has experience with Lockheed Martin's Prepare3D simulator? I read that it allows FSX addons as complex as PMDG modules to integrate into that simulation easily.

If that works,. and Prepare makes better use of quadcores and gfx boards, then I juts think: what a combo that may be: Prepar3D and PMDG-737.

Anyone knowing?

http://www.prepar3d.com/

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...umber/3568255/
Old 05-12-12, 06:14 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

I have learned that PMDG-737NGX IS compatible with Prepar3D, and that some developers even have giovben special support to Prepare3D. iFly's 737 for example has just been transformed and released as a special Prepar3D-version that is being sold as a separate version besaide those for FSX and FS9.

I also gained more understanding of what Prepar3D is. Acutally it is the engine that drives FSX and that was sold by Microsoft to Lockheed in 2009. Lockheed developes it further, giving it for example more ability to make better use of a system'S hardware, there seems to be dedicated multi-core support for example. After having released the intial version, there were version 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 and version 2.0 now is pending, it seems. 99% of FSX addons are said to be fully compatible with Prepar3D, but may need some ini-tweaks to give their full FSX-likle functionality.

Again, compatability with PMDG-373NGX is confirmed, you can see it here:

In parts frames seem to be slightly better, probably due to better multi-core support.

Why this is interesting? Becasue FSX is tchnolgoy from the pre-2006 era and is not supported and was not in an ideal technical shape ever. Prepar3D is a supported environment that gets technologically improved, though none that gets marketed as an entertainment software. For example it offers no missions. But for the purist, it seems to be a very reasonable way to go, maybe the best there is if you want realistric and complex airliner cockpits like the PMDG-kind of branch.

I plan to migrate once version 2.0 is out, and run the 737NGX exclusively on it. Maybe just airport sceneries, of which i have plenty, but nothing else.

Prepare currently costs 50 dollars for the private licence and is download only. That makes it cheaper than X-Plane 10.
Old 06-27-12, 07:11 AM   #3
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Looks like anything for FSX is compatible with Prepar3d. And LM have improved a lot of the things wrong with FSX.

http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/44...ckheed-martin/

Now, can LM take a peek at SH3/4/5?
Old 06-28-12, 05:24 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

I am in observation mode and standbye, waiting for version 2.0 and see what it brings regarding multicore support. If it still is compatible with my addons then, I will consider the platform change. Currently, my moderately modded FSX runs stable and smooth with my beloved PMDG737, REX2 and Aerosoft airport sceneries. More I do not necessarily want.

But thanks for the heads-up!
Old 06-28-12, 05:42 PM   #5
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

I was wondering if anyone actually had hands-on yet? Only $49 for the academic version which has a very small, unobtrusive watermark in the top-right corner.
Old 07-28-12, 01:35 PM   #6
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

I too am interested in a home version for this sim. It looks great and I like what I read about it but I still have not read if they will release a version for home simmers yet.
Old 07-28-12, 05:13 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpector View Post
I too am interested in a home version for this sim. It looks great and I like what I read about it but I still have not read if they will release a version for home simmers yet.
There seems to be a miscommunication around that many fell victim to. Fact is you can get both versions they offer, one for 200 and one for 50 bucks, right now, if you want. The 50 Euro version has only a tiny watermark in one corner, they say - that seems to be the only difference.
Old 07-28-12, 05:43 PM   #8
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
There seems to be a miscommunication around that many fell victim to. Fact is you can get both versions they offer, one for 200 and one for 50 bucks, right now, if you want. The 50 Euro version has only a tiny watermark in one corner, they say - that seems to be the only difference.
So, the version for 50 Euro (about $62.00 US), would be the one for home users? I guess that's not to bad.

Would I need to install it over FSX (which I'm having a problem getting to install in Win 7 - 64Bit), or is it a stand alone with no missions?
Old 07-28-12, 05:56 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

I understand it is standalone.

Go to Aerosoft's website, they have a forum for Prepar3d and also can tell you about addon comnpatability. They just said they like the sim so much that they now officially support it.

And then there is Lockheed's website, which probably is the most important source for info that you should check.

Just that you have no false understanding of me: I do not have the sim, and what I say I only have read on the web, and Lockheed's website, and in forums.

I am waiting for dedicated multicore support and confirmation for that. Could become a longer wait, it seems the upcoming version 2 still does not have it, rumour says.
Old 07-29-12, 03:59 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

If somebody wonders about this mysterious watersign the Academic License for 50 bucks comes with, it is just a small, unobstrusive line in the top right corner, see here:

http://h13.abload.de/img/2012-4-14_21-11-47-61wheb0.png
Old 07-29-12, 05:24 AM   #11
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Thanks Skybird.
Old 07-29-12, 09:01 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

One minor setback, or not so minor - depends on your taste: TrackIR is currently not supported. The producer of TrackiR so far they do not plan to support it since in their last assessment Prepar3d has noit the potential to become that widespread platform to justify this move.

If they are not wrong there - who knows!?

To what degree TrackIR can be used in mousemode, I do not know. Alternative software like EZDOC and others get mentioned, but I do not know these, I do not know what they are and what they do, and they cost money.

Both Lockheed and TrackIR said in the past they insist on using their own native drivers, and since none of them wants to give in to the other, it is unlikely that the stalemate gets solved soon. Locvkheed is limited by the license deal they had with Micriosoft and do not want to comppromise their new code with adding foreign drivers into it, probably, and TrackIR do not want to invest in developement for a sim theyx do not give much market shares in the forseeable future. At least that is how I understand their conflict.