SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-12-08, 09:46 PM   #46
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER
in order to understand the context in which this thread was originally created, please read below:

you must understand that at the time i posted this thread ubisoft was saying that there was a stand alone patch 1.5 that was built into the new u-boat missions expansion pack and it would be released soon as a stand alone patch but then they started acting like it never existed to begin with.

this thread was to protest about ubisoft not wanting to offer the patch for free download as long as they were making money selling it as part of the u-boat expansion. (thats just smart buisness sense)

my intention is not to imply you shouldnt buy the u-boat expansion but rather i just wanted everyone to hold off on purchasing it in protest just untill ubisoft relented and released the stand alone patch version. (this was a misunderstanding on my part about what UBM was all about)

as time has gone by it has become much missunderstood what my intentions were in making this thread so hopefully this helps to clarify my opinion.
As you can see, this so-called patch is not necessary for any other version of the game besides the one that is being given the U-Boat expansion. I've already done the tour through all the files, and the changes I've seen don't add anything to fix bugs. It's actually illegal for a company to sell a patch which addresses bugs. Changes to the game on the other hand is not and that's all the 1.5 patch does. You don't need the 1.5 patch for the game to work properly.

Regardless, most people will just go download the expansion anyway.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 09:50 PM   #47
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaptrap
AFTER a $9.95 debit to some form of card.

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 11:04 PM   #48
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Lewinsky
Quote:
In this day? Yeah right! Fricking wankers are too cheap even to hand out $10 for something that they whine about isn't free.
Old 05-13-08, 05:21 AM   #49
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Hum, I don't want to badmouth the addon but look at the UBM forum, what's the most "popular" thread ? Bug thread ! I'd rather have to pay 5 more bucks and have less of these "gross" bugs. So supporting the devs yeah, but I'm not too keen on supporting a publisher that rush out products, even if said product is only $10 worth.
But Mikhayl, many of the claimed bugs are not bugs at all! They are people who do not understand the game. And most of the posts are replies to claimed bugs.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 02:48 PM   #50
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In this day? Yeah right! Fricking wankers are too cheap even to hand out $10 for something that they whine about isn't free.
how many times do i have to say it, its not about the $10. (at least for me)

how many ways do i have to say it, its not about the $10. (at least for me)

it is about all future mods not being usable to anyone who isnt using the expansion.

how many 1.5 mods work for 1.4? maybe 1 in 20 if your lucky, so you dont really have a choice at all. you have to buy it to use the mods being made for the game.

i bought the UBM expansion a month ago but i wasnt happy about it because i felt like i had no choice other than be excluded from using any future mods.
Old 05-13-08, 03:58 PM   #51
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
how many times do i have to say it, its not about the $10. (at least for me)

how many ways do i have to say it, its not about the $10. (at least for me)

it is about all future mods not being usable to anyone who isnt using the expansion.

how many 1.5 mods work for 1.4? maybe 1 in 20 if your lucky, so you dont really have a choice at all. you have to buy it to use the mods being made for the game.

i bought the UBM expansion a month ago but i wasnt happy about it because i felt like i had no choice other than be excluded from using any future mods.
I'm actually not talking about you. Besides, it's not their fault people aren't making their mods compatible with the previous version of the game. Even I understand this! That's why I took a poll to see where the community stood in terms of the versions they used. I'd be taking my grievances with the mod makers and only them.

Also, if all the mods are being made to work only with 1.5, then you have nothing to worry about in terms of being excluded from using any future mods.
Old 05-13-08, 04:19 PM   #52
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I don't recall any such waves of nostalgia when patch 1.4 replaced 1.3 and all the mods quit working for that. Which leads me to the $10. That's IT! Admit it to yourself. You have known it all along. I am your father, Luke...
Old 05-13-08, 05:55 PM   #53
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:

Once the devs have released all the add-ons and patches they can, the modding community by-and-large decides where the game goes from there, and so far, they have said they want mods that are 1.5-compatible. You can't expect them to support an old version of the game just because a very small portion of the community wants them to.

Besides that, what in the world are you complaining about now, if you have the 1.5 add-on?

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 02:15 PM   #54
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

the difference between the 1.3 & 1.4 update patches is that 1.5 is just a voluntary expansion not a "required" patch. you cant compare expansions to "required" upgrade patches.

after installing 1.5 i have more negative impressions about it than good. yes, it did add more to the game, but brought many more new flaws to the game because ubi sold it in unfinished condition just like they always do. i mean come on, they didnt even include any missions with it. i admit 1.5 has the potential in a year or so to be a great expansion when the mod community fixes it for ubisoft.
Old 05-14-08, 02:33 PM   #55
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

You have forgotten the "no periscope animations in the conning tower" hysteria after 1.3. All patches and add-ons introduce additional bugs. Computers do the same thing. While fulfilling their promise to eliminate human error, computers merely substituted multitudinous even stupider errors. We would not, therefore, destroy our computers. Error is part of life. We accept it or die.
Old 05-14-08, 03:29 PM   #56
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
We accept it or die.
Don't you mean "or turn into ungrateful yuppies with massive hair loss cause by frequent whining"? I understand the position here, but like you said, it's a fact of life to error. Making mods for this game is certainly one way of coming into that understanding.

All I can say is that the developers are doing their best to prevent new bugs from surfacing. It's not an easy task and those who know are those who've done work in relative to file editing or programming. If you can hate the expansion for it's flaws, I'm sure you can love it for everything else.
Old 05-14-08, 03:50 PM   #57
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I understand the position here,
thats all i was trying to do, i should have let this go a while back but felt i needed to convey my position without being dismissed as "frequent whining and crying" about it.

now lets go sink something, good luck and good hunting guys
Old 05-14-08, 04:00 PM   #58
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Quote:
I understand the position here,
thats all i was trying to do, convey my position without being dismissed as "frequent whining and crying" about it.

now lets go sink something, good luck and hunting guys
It's something we all have to deal with. I'm just glad that a friend of mine introduced me to this game. Though I was familiar with the series, I turned away with the belief that the game was complicated to learn.

One other thing. I never looked at you as being the whiner. I've seen people resort to pathetics over this and by comparison, all you wanted was an answer and an understanding from those around you and you did it in a respectable manner. It's those childish whiners that peeve me so.
Old 05-14-08, 05:26 PM   #59
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
We accept it or die.
Don't you mean "or turn into ungrateful yuppies with massive hair loss cause by frequent whining"?
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You just explained my whole life!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

No WEBSTER, I'm the whiner in this place and don't you forget it!
Old 05-14-08, 06:44 PM   #60
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Can you imagine the cries of 'RAPE' should any of the now free mods
not be free?
Look at the complaints when GWX 2.0 was held for donations to SubSim fo a few days!!
Even though it was clearly stated after awhile, anyone could get it free!!!
That a Company gets a few bucks for thier product is how we keep getting
more and more.
And if Ten dollars breaks you?
You have much, MUCH more to worry about!
And when it comes right down to it?
No one forces you to upgrade anything.
That the options of all the GREAT mods are out there for free?
Simpley amazing!
But it's our call if we need to up our systems to use them.
No Mod or add-on FORCES you to up grade your hardware or software.
It simpley says to use it here is what you need.
You make the choice.
Pretty fair to me.

And as gas prices go up?
I expect more people will decide to upgrade thier systems and stay home.
At 4 bucks a gallon?
1.5 is a deal!!