SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-07, 01:43 PM   #46
Savvy
Loader

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Spot on there Chock,

I use these pencils for a lot of my artwork, they really are very good

If your going to use them for weathering ya gonna have to add a TINY bit of Fairy liquid, this will help break the surface tension of the water thus making them easier to apply.

Sav.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 02:55 PM   #47
Siara
Grey Wolf

The main flood area was cut open , ready for slats.

Carefuly grinding from inside of the hull using Dremel , its probably easiest bit of mechanical job on the model. I think the end result its well worth the effort.
Im thinking about cuting away the thin strip just top of opening , in order to better the top of the saddle tanks.

Work on improving saddle tanks has started.
Using Chocks drawing i managed to locate internal ribbing. It is only my interpretation and under any circumstances should be copied as acurate.
It`s hard to be sure of the location of the ribs , as the area rearly got damaged enough to give us the true picture.
And due to boats spending majority of time being submerged , the picture evidence is scarce.
Now i need scrape away between the ribs slightly / similar to sides of the hull / but not as deep. The saddle tanks never had as much ripple , more like dents and knocks.

TBC...

*Thats what i got Savvy:

Master Models

Last edited by Siara; 11-08-07 at 03:05 PM.
Siara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 01:59 AM   #48
Siara
Grey Wolf

Its criminal , but the choping started. :hmm:

TBC...

Master Models
Old 11-09-07, 07:13 AM   #49
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siara

TBC...

I don't understand what you're doing in this photo (more precisely, why and what are your intentions?)

I'm following this thread closely, as I have a couple of boats of my own to build. I love these 'watch me build it' postings and it's great to have one here at Subsim.

Old 11-09-07, 07:20 AM   #50
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

How hard would it be to convert this model to R/C? Even just a surface modal would be cool.:hmm:
Old 11-09-07, 07:22 AM   #51
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

so much stuff done..and still a long way to go

keep it up guys, I like to see the progess step by step
Old 11-09-07, 07:53 AM   #52
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
How hard would it be to convert this model to R/C? Even just a surface modal would be cool.:hmm:
It's hard... but not impossible. I'm working on one, if you want more info PM me, but let's not hijack a good static model thread.
Old 11-09-07, 02:51 PM   #53
Siara
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Quote:

TBC...

I don't understand what you're doing in this photo (more precisely, why and what are your intentions?)

I'm following this thread closely, as I have a couple of boats of my own to build. I love these 'watch me build it' postings and it's great to have one here at Subsim.

In order to do work on top of the tanks its better to cut the strips of .
When you open the main flood area , you end up with one long slot on the side of the ship. When looking thru this hole you can see everything inside the ship.
What im intending to do is to extend the tanks inside the hul - giving it the 3D effect.
First of all i need to get the inner hul , to check how much room im given to play with.
The parts are in the post , and that stoping me from doing the lower flood holes aswell.
Hopefuly i get the delivery soon.

Hope it helps Bill Nichols.

TBC...

Master Models
Old 11-09-07, 03:42 PM   #54
TteFAboB
Admiral

Downloads: 4

Bill, he's lying. He wants to cut the boat in pieces just so he can glue it all back together again and feel a greater sense of accomplishment: "Behold, mortals! I have built this entire VIIC from scratch, rivet by rivety, plate by plate! Now all I need is a lightning to bring the crew to life! This will be the ultimate midget submarine! Muwahahahahaha!"
Old 11-09-07, 07:28 PM   #55
Siara
Grey Wolf

Bill - you can see from that angle better , when looking along the open slot the line where tank ends inside the hul. It abruptly ends and ruins the whole effect of open floodholes. Another thing is the slats / im planning on adding them / need some kind of support-otherwise you end up with the deck hunging in thin air.

Edit:

Ive made couple of drawings in paint to demonstrate better what i had in mind.

TBC...

Master Models

Last edited by Siara; 11-10-07 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-10-07, 06:19 AM   #56
Savvy
Loader

Hi Bill go here http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsw...57/prog7.shtml

Siara,

Hope i'm not treading on your toes by posting the link above, it's well worth a visit if you have not seen it. Whilst ya there take a look at the pdf for U-Boat colours, helped me out loads

I'm still waiting for the POSTMAN so far all thats arrived is the Eduard etch, it's really starting to get to me now

Sav
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 06:48 AM   #57
Siara
Grey Wolf

Have i seen it? - NO. Im kidding , course i`ve seen it. That was the inspiration , amongst the others. Whats great about looking at other people models , every modeler does it diferently. One prefers putting emphasis on paintwork , while other likes attention to detail on his gun. The essence is to combine the lot in one.

Master Models
Old 11-10-07, 07:22 PM   #58
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Im going to atempt to put together the model of submarine type VIIC by Revell.
The model spent last couple of years on the wardrobe gathering dust , while i was ploughing my way thru aray of unfinished projects from the past

The reason im writing this post is simple. For one it will provide me with much needed boost , and hopefuly you can help me on some technical problems along the way , as there are some issues with the kit , which need to be corrected.

To be continued...
I love threads like this one, bravo! Posted on the Subsim main page.

Neal
Old 11-10-07, 11:49 PM   #59
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

I completeted this model about two years ago (I got one of the first ones). I was impressed with the size of it, and it truly showed me how big these things were, when I compared the length of the hull pieces to my completed Revell B-36 of 1/72nd scale. The B-36 is one huge machine, the U-boat dwarfed it.

The deck gun alone is a little model of really good detail, out the box.

I patterned mine after the U-96 from Das boot. I even made the grey laughing sword fish from this historically based, yet fictional boat.

I used my DVD, and freez frame alot to get the minutest exterior detail, though I must say, the detail of my model will pale in comparison to what this fellow is doing with his.

My model is the centerpiece of my room, it can't be anything else it is so huge. It will however be dwarfed by my yet to be completed 1/72 scale Gato class boat. It is half as long if not more than the "little" type VII.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 11:58 PM   #60
Chock
Sea Lord

Yup, that's the thing which struck me when I toured U-534, the Type IX, before, sadly, it was closed to the public.

You only really ever see pictures of guys on the sub's deck when it is tied up at the dock with most of it underwater, so you don't really appreciate the scale. Sure it is pretty cramped inside, but when you walk up to one on land, it's a real shock how big the bloody things were.

The other thing that stikes you is how graceful they look, almost like a creature rather than a machine, which I supose is what they are trying to emulate in being like a whale or something. The curve of the fixed part of the bowplanes really does look like a big sea creature's fin when you walk under it, it's a really beautiful organic shape.

Of course now they are cutting up U-534, that experience will be gone forever, and I'm having a hard time forgiving them for that, so it's nice to see all these models taking shape.

Chock

Tags
model, scale models