SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-20-17, 06:44 PM   #1
Rudeljaeger
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default I have Windows 10. UBM works perfectly, but the US-campaign corrupts the savegames

Playing days with the "U Boat missions" addon, no problems.

But when I try to play the US-side I get "Silent Hunter IV stopped working" crash to desktops when I try to load the savegames after a while.

Im not using any mods.

Any ideas?
Rudeljaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 07:13 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Let's do background first. Are you using a DVD disk, or download version? If download, where did you get it? Next, what folder did you install to? Do you know if your Win10 is fully updated? What kind of video card do you have? I know, I know. Too many questions, no answer for ya yet, but one last one: are you running the "SH4.exe" as an Administrator?

Edit: Sorry, forgot one - where did you saved game come from? In other words, stock game, a mod, uboats? Look at the 'markers' in the load dialog, and make certain you'grabbing a fleet boat save. Also, did it have a Replay saved with it?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 12-20-17 at 07:27 PM. Reason: two moe questions...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-17, 09:20 PM   #3
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeljaeger View Post
Playing days with the "U Boat missions" addon, no problems.

But when I try to play the US-side I get "Silent Hunter IV stopped working" crash to desktops when I try to load the savegames after a while.

Im not using any mods.

Any ideas?
propbeanie has some valid questions. The information will help.
I have one suspicion. "after a while" is the clue. Are you overwriting the saves in the campaign? If so, that may be the problem. It's a known bug in sh4. The save file is so complicated that too many save overwrites will cause the file to get corrupted. The solution is to save in a new file each time. I'll save while in the office before starting the patrol as "fireftr." Each save while on patrol will be "fireftr1, fireftr2, etc."
Old 12-21-17, 01:23 PM   #4
Rudeljaeger
Watch

Downloads: 11

Its bought on Steam, saves to a separate Steam folder on D. Savegames are on "My Documents", no mods.

I know the overwrite bug exists, but its not it - Even newly made saves wont work anymore. Meanwhile my U-Boat-missions saves can be overwritten a dozen times, not a single crash.
Rudeljaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 04:13 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Here some generic thoughts when installing SH4:

- If your OS is Win10 you should think about uninstalling Windows Creators, it hampers gameplay with SH series (CTDs)

- For a good playable game, you need to install at least the GFO mod over the patched SH4 + Uboat Expansion
Follow TO THE LETTER the install instructions, and especially: replace the single missions at the end (explained as last steps).

- Steam versions of SH games are crying for trouble (polite version of the statement)...Sorry to tell you.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-21-17 at 04:23 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-17, 09:06 PM   #6
Weasel665
Watch

Downloads: 404
Default Steam Versions of SH Series Reliable

@Rudeljaeger

I have exclusive versions of SH via Steam and all work following game specific instruction found on this site. I agree that STEAM versions some extra tweaking but these versions are reliable.

Multiple installs of SH3 (GWX,WAC 5.01, LSH 15)
SH4 with GFO
SH5 with WOS 2.09e

SH3 installed in E:/Games/SH3GWX...._WAC5.....SH3LSH
SH4 & 5 installed in E:/steam/steamapps/common/

PC Specs
WIN 10 Home v 1709
i5-4570 @3.2ghz
GTX 970
16 GB RAM
Weasel665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 09:13 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeljaeger View Post
Its bought on Steam, saves to a separate Steam folder on D. Savegames are on "My Documents", no mods.

I know the overwrite bug exists, but its not it - Even newly made saves wont work anymore. Meanwhile my U-Boat-missions saves can be overwritten a dozen times, not a single crash.
Well, if your game install path is "C:\ Program Files \Steam ...", that ~might~ be the trouble. If such is the case, then:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...hp?p_faqid=231

the purpose of moving is to get the game install out of the "protected" folder location. However, issues of that sort usually only happen with mods. However, if you've tried to install a mod, and then took it out when it didn't work properly, the de-activation couldn't restore the game back to its original state, due to Windows altering the file, which JSGME gets no notification of, and therefor things go amuck... If such is the case, use the Steam app and validate the game install, and then move the game, as per the above link.

If you currently have Steam in a different folder than the Program Files, then I would again try that Steam app and validate, and try to get it back to the Steam original install.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote