SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-19-17, 03:52 AM   #1
Liquidje
Nub

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Looking for a new subsim to play, can you give me tips on which one?

Hi guys,

First of all, I understand topics like this get posted all the time, that's why I am not asking for the best game, but something that suits my needs.

so I have posted here once quite a while ago, and I really crave me some subsim. I got quite a few, like SH3, SH4, SH5, Dangerous Waters, 688i Hunter/Killer and more. I tried them all, but since getting into a subsim takes a few hours I never really got into most of them, save for SH3. And now I am considering either playing SH3 again, or take on some of the other subsims (doesn't matter if I own it or not). Maybe you guys can help point me in the right direction.

First off, I am looking for a sim, no arcade stuff. What I REALLY enjoyed about SH3 was how complex it was to learn manual targetting, and I really enjoyed taking minutes to plan out your shot, making measurements and adjustments etc and seeing if my shot landed or not. Especially using sonar, drawing enemies on the map and measuring their speed etc. I look for that kind of realism.

Any tips? Or is SH still the true king?
Liquidje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 07:12 AM   #2
Mariner1
Suavely concerned

Downloads: 0
Default SHIII still good to go...

Yes, I think SHIII has lots to offer, especially with mods like Grey Wolves. I run it on an old computer, though, so appreciate it wouldn't suit everyone who likes good graphics and fast reactions. Amazing to think it's 10 years old...
Mariner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 09:12 PM   #3
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 337

Default Best ?

Ahoy !

Silent Hunter 3 is undoubtedly a Super Sim up at the top of the charts but don't discount SH5 (Modded of course) I rate it highly combined with Wolves of Steel Mod it surely has to be a contender despite its disastrous launch

Both have there strong points in different areas. I've found nothing better to date
Not sure about Graphics in SH3 being not so good @ Mariner they have come a long way in the past few years, The Mod Sub interior looks pretty decent to me its only bad point was it had no collision model which has now been addressed

Its All Horses for Courses as they say

Regards
Simon

WOLVES OF STEEL MEGAMOD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WOS.jpg (3.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Cyborg322; 10-20-17 at 09:23 PM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 10:50 AM   #4
thegoblinking
Nub

Downloads: 5

Just got the silent hunter bundle on steam its in the winter sale!!
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13751/
thegoblinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-17, 02:06 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > thegoblinking
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 02:52 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

SH3 is very nice, but I recommend it for older computers only, the game has no widescreen support, and the modded widescreen GUIs all have some flaws, although looking very nice. The correct setup on modern machines can be quite complicated, especially in Win10.

Best for decent computers and the nicest grafics is SH5 + TWoS (Atlantic Battlefield) and
SH4 + GTO (Pacific Battlefield).

For laptops I recommend SH1 Commander Edition 1.31 (Pacific Battlefield) played via Dosbox and the Dosbox frontend D-Fend Reloaded; it's an old game with older grafics, but with remarquable and tricky AI, even better than SH4 in my opinion.

I do NOT recommend any Steam version of the SH series (why? see setup problems in the stickies), get the DVDs on Amazon or e-Bay, you then have less pain to setup and mod the games afterwards.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 12-29-17 at 03:10 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote