SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-14-12, 04:41 PM   #376
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 194
Uploads: 4

i not tested all the compatibily modes yet. Call of duty 4 looks good but uses lot of your GPU, with a good card is not a problem i think, other compatibility modes introduce visual glitches, i don't know which one provides the best effects with the minimal performance impact.

Last edited by Nicolas; 03-14-12 at 05:05 PM.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 08:56 PM   #377
SailorMark
Swabbie

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default updating to nVidia driver 296.10

Well I updated from 295.73 to 296.10 and it did not go well. I am running a GF GT220 card (Vista 32bit). Everything got very dark and the weather would not change from a constant heavy rain. So I thought I would try Control N after 3 weeks of seeing rain. It got worse from there. The rain went away, but the black eeiry veil never lifted and you had to touch a ship to see it. So I tried nVidia inspector and the settings Nicolas posted. Helped a lot but still not right. Went about removing mods one at a time. Finally got to RE #1 (I am using GFO 1.1 and RE #1 plus Nav base make over only). When I removed RE #1 it was much better visually. Downloaded a clean version of RE #1 and works good now.

My questions are:
1. Is this the right setting for a GF 220 card?
2. Can control N really mess up RE #1 or did I do something else and just got lucky with the fix?
3. How come no other programs on the computer seemed to be affected? I have run videos and they were okay, not playing any other games.

Thanks for the help!
I read this forum daily - sometimes more.
SailorMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 02:50 PM   #378
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Anybody get a decent setup for the 301.42 drivers?

Haven't been able to get a good set up with Nvidia Inspector. I seem to lose the sunglare when ever I add in AA, even at just 2x. So even now 4x is outta the question.

If anybody has their settings handy, please post them.

Also, running 2 eVGA GTX 260s in SLI mode. If I must, I'll revert back to my old drivers that worked with Enhancer. At least it worked.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-12, 04:20 PM   #379
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

I did try all 300 series drivers (currently running on 302.59) and there is some problem with them and inspector: the gamma correction setting is ON by default in nv control panel, but nv inspector says its off (but its on - resulting in loss of sun glare in game); so, just set all the things for sh4 in inspector, and then go to nv cp and in sh4 profile set gamma correction to off. When you do this and go back to inspector you will see that gamma correction is off but now it will be shown in bold.

BTW, just in case someone will run into this problem: the game may refuse to run properly (black screen, the game loads, you can hear menu music) with inspector settings and vsync turn off in game; turning vsync on in game (or in config file) fixes this.

Here are my settings:

8x AA would be perfect for this game if not for that sun issue; there must be something (in the code, shaders maybe) SH4 is doing not to the standards; like sun halo is also disappearing when there are clouds moving beneath\in front of it; and clouds have alpha channel and sometimes you can see the sun itself behind the clouds but not its halo. With more than 4xAA it behaves like there is something put in front of the sun constantly; maybe to understand the problem we need to understand how AA works or how nvidia drivers are doing AA... Or understand why gamma correction disables sun glare too.

Last edited by stanger; 05-28-12 at 04:38 AM.
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 07:23 AM   #380
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Thanks Stanger! I did revert back to my old 197xx drivers, just to get a good image back.

I'll give your settings a try, and see how it works.

I wish Nv Inspector was a little easier to use. Maybe the developer will will create a little more user friendly version, like nHancer has.

Thanks for the info!

---------------------

Old 05-28-12, 07:44 AM   #381
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

I personally am glad nhancer is gone; what was good in it was help system/tooltips that helped you understand some settings, but beside that the interface wasnt so good, and it had to run in the background (if I recall correctly); inspector is much much simpler and you may be sure you wont screw original nvidia settings (profiles). Inspector lists all the settings almost the same way as NVCP, just there are much more of them - to me it should be taken over by nvidia and incorporated into its drivers.
But every single person on this planet has different taste.
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 08:06 AM   #382
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Actually, once you had your settings for nHancer, and you activated them, you didn't have to keep it running, or load them when you started your computer. I checked my Nvidia CP and the settings were retained on booting up.

The only thing I had to remember was to change my profiles for each game. As settings for SH4 didn't work well with BoBII Wings of Valor, or Over Flanders Fields, and so on.

After reading their pages on nHancer at the site, it made it more understandable as to what did what, and the impact on frame rates. A little clunky yes to start with, but once you got used to it, it wasn't bad.

Since I play SH4 mostly, it was easy to load up the game and go.

---------------------

Old 05-29-12, 06:55 PM   #383
clayp
The Old Man

Downloads: 340
Nicolas How do you know what all those settings mean?

clayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-12, 08:09 PM   #384
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger View Post
I did try all 300 series drivers (currently running on 302.59) and there is some problem with them and inspector: the gamma correction setting is ON by default in nv control panel, but nv inspector says its off (but its on - resulting in loss of sun glare in game); so, just set all the things for sh4 in inspector, and then go to nv cp and in sh4 profile set gamma correction to off. When you do this and go back to inspector you will see that gamma correction is off but now it will be shown in bold.

BTW, just in case someone will run into this problem: the game may refuse to run properly (black screen, the game loads, you can hear menu music) with inspector settings and vsync turn off in game; turning vsync on in game (or in config file) fixes this.

Here are my settings:

8x AA would be perfect for this game if not for that sun issue; there must be something (in the code, shaders maybe) SH4 is doing not to the standards; like sun halo is also disappearing when there are clouds moving beneath\in front of it; and clouds have alpha channel and sometimes you can see the sun itself behind the clouds but not its halo. With more than 4xAA it behaves like there is something put in front of the sun constantly; maybe to understand the problem we need to understand how AA works or how nvidia drivers are doing AA... Or understand why gamma correction disables sun glare too.
Thanks for posting your settings!

I did reload the 300 series drivers, and got a nice framerate boost, using these and other tweaks from nHancer I wrote down, that were available in NV Inspector. Average of 20 to 30 FPS increase.

So thanks again!

---------------------

Old 06-19-12, 03:44 AM   #385
DaveB5
Nub

Downloads: 143

Like to say thanx to all for these tweaks and some interesting reading
DaveB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 07:33 AM   #386
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 194
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayp View Post
Nicolas How do you know what all those settings mean?
I don't know what all of the settings mean, but I like to touch things and see what they do.
The ambient occlusion is a technic or something like that to add depth to an scene (little shadows and contrasts), the compatibility mode sets the driver to work with an specific game and the quality setting allows the use of more or less gpu.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 09:44 AM   #387
ConteBlecio
Seaman

Downloads: 428
Default Sorry Guys

Hello everyone, I'd like some advice if possible.

I run SH4 @ 1680x1050 60Hz with these mods:
- TMO 2-5
- RSRDC TMO V502 with V5xx patch
- SCAF for RSRDC V502_2.0
- SErgei's Skinpack

My configuration is:
WIN XP SP2
Core2 DUO E7200 @2.53GHz
4 GB RAM
Zotac GeForce GTX 560 1GB (with the latest drivers 301.42 WHQL)

I try this config for Nvidia Inspector with a Performance Level 2 (P0) and i never unlock min & max for the GPU,and default clock and GPU clock are @822 MHz:

Anisotropic filtering: 8x
Antialiasing - Gamma correction: On
Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting
Antialiasing - Setting: 16xQ
Antialiasing - Transparency: Supersampling
Conformant texture clamp: Use hardware
Error reporting: Off
Extension limit: Off
Force mipmaps: None
Multi-display/mixed_GPU acceleration: Single display performance mode
Stereo - Display mode: Use vertical interlace monitor
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: Off (greyed out)
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp
Texture filtering - Quality: High quality
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: Off (greyed out)
Threaded optimization: Auto
Triple buffering: On
Vertical sync: Force on

Everything seems to work perfectly at the highest levels of setting,taking into account that I have limited the display of characters to a minimum and that I have not activated the post process filters,full scene glare,light shaft and env. effects.

But I have a small problem...rotating the view from left to right and vice versa I noticed very light stutters.The view is not perfectly smooth.
Can you give me explanations to eliminate this fault please?
I tried various settings but never solve it.
So I did not understand what I do...
Maybe I can not ask more from my system .. but I did not realize

Forgive the length and my bad english.
Thank you.
ConteBlecio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 10:39 AM   #388
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Reduce your texture quality option in nvidia inspector, or in game. Reduce AA & AF to half their current values.
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 11:15 AM   #389
ConteBlecio
Seaman

Downloads: 428

Hi 0rpheus, thank you.
Seems to be going much better.
AF-4x AA-8x
Is correct? or u mean 8xQ?

Although with 16 in AA and AF appeared only turn quickly (what was happening earlier).
The values ***8203;***8203;of 16 or higher than those you suggested are appropriate only on a computer more powerful? Or SH4 does not would take advantage them anyway?

Thanks again.
ConteBlecio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 12:26 PM   #390
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Anti-aliasing removes the 'jagged lines' on a rendered image; Anisotropic Filtering is a lighting effect. Both are reasonably heavy in terms of GPU/CPU useage depending on the level you set them at; higher levels mean more performance impact.

'8xQ' and '8x' are two different types of Anti-aliasing. With the current Nvidia architecture, '8x' provides 8x AA at the performance cost of 4x AA, due to a number of improvements.

'8xQ' and '16xQ' (in fact any AA with 'Q' at the end) uses a different aliasing process - much better quality, but also a much higher performance hit. Avoid using these options unless you have a really powerful PC.

If you still get stuttering, continue to reduce the options until it stops. You may find something like 2x AA and 2x AF allow you to increase the texture setting back to full, you'll just have to see what works best for you.

*As a side note, 'Texture filtering - Quality: High quality' is the maximum texture quality setting for your GPU. If this is in your 'global settings' it will be applied to all games, all the time - you might find dropping the setting one notch to 'quality' helps not only in SH4, but in all other games as well.
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote