Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-11-18, 06:27 AM   #1
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0
Default Community patches to SH5.exe

Hello everyone. I am relatively new here and I've recently bought both SH3 and SH5 and been trying to mod and patch them "back to shape" and make them playable. While I do own hard copies of both games, I bought them on Steam as they were cheap and having moved several times during the last decade I have no idea where most of my physical game copies are at the moment or what shape the discs are in. So, that's where I'm at right now.

I've hit a brick wall with SH5 because of the Steam version of the exe file and the "Genericpatcher". The guides that explains how to grab a non-steam version of the SH5.exe (1.2) requires a tool called InstallShield Cabinet Viewer or something very similar. I've been searching high and low, and been "forced" into less reputable sites on the internet in my search for this tool and I've had no luck since the links are dead or otherwise unavailable.

Is there a solution that I'm not aware of, or do anyone have the tool mentioned?

From a discussion on Steam regarding the issue;
"Its a bit of a hazzle modding the .exe but can be well worth it. The devs stopped supporting this game years ago but the modding community keeps trucking on with quite a few patches and upgrades beyond the standard mods.
Ex. you will be able to get a 10.5mm deck gun for your sub or even remove it entirely which was an option that was already present in the coding of the game but the devs never bothered to activate not to mention the greater variety of torpedoes.

Beware though that three programs are needed.
InstallShield cabinet file viewer (for opening and finding files inside a .cab compression)
Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler aka JSGME (for controlling which mods you want to use in any one session)
TDWs generic patcher (for patching the game)

The second and third are easy enough to find through the subsim forum however the first one is tricky as hell.
I did end up finding the one I needed but not before inadvertently downloading a piece of malware."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/48110...1308585119112/

Last edited by Dirk Gently; 11-11-18 at 07:04 AM.
Dirk Gently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-18, 07:36 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Hi Dirk,
Only TWoS contains automatic Steam Conversion Tool which will make even the Steam version of the game easily modable. Otherwise, it' pretty complicated for non advanced users.

You may wish however to wait until this evening because I'm preparing to upload a new version 2.2.9 which will require fresh campaign start.

Until then you can check my signature for more info...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-18, 09:46 AM   #3
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Are you saying TWoS "converts" a Steam version to a non-Steam version exe file or does the mod contain a complete non-steam exe file and replaces it entirely?

I did use the steam compatible version of TWoS earlier but I didn't like some of the changes and running without makes the inherent exe errors too glaring and buggy for a comfortable experience.
Thanks a million for the answer by the way, it's very appreciated. If I can get both SH3 and SH5 to a satisfactory operational state, I have computer games that will last me another decade.

Last edited by Dirk Gently; 11-11-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-11-18, 05:00 PM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
Are you saying TWoS "converts" a Steam version to a non-Steam version exe file...
Yes...Not sure how it works exactly. Search for Sputterfish's posts, he is the author of the converter...
Old 11-12-18, 05:52 AM   #5
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Well, as long as the game becomes playable I don't really care how it happens. I had trouble getting the auto torpedo solutions to hit anything with TWoS installed previously, but I've since brushed dust off my manual skills so I guess that's taken care of now. After I removed the patch and tried vanilla, I realized it was an unplayable mess.

At the moment I'm enjoying the crap out of SH3 with WAC though. It would be nice to have SH5 in working order to spice things up too
Old 11-12-18, 06:24 AM   #6
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
Well, as long as the game becomes playable I don't really care how it happens. I had trouble getting the auto torpedo solutions to hit anything with TWoS installed previously,
Well, auto aiming doesn't necessarily mean a "hit" in TWoS...

Last edited by vdr1981; 11-12-18 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 10:02 AM   #7
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Yeah, I noticed it more precisely generally miss.
Old 11-12-18, 03:56 PM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi DG
I recommend that you go with TWoS, but as a matter of interest did you not find the install shield cabinet viewer in my SH5 tutorials?
Post #161 TDW’s Generic File Patcher Steam Installation Instructions By sirrawsrsalot > Updated Version
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-18, 01:34 PM   #9
Dirk Gently
Bosun

I found several links but none that worked.
Old 12-13-18, 08:45 AM   #10
Blackswan1940
Bosun

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Hi Dirk,
Only TWoS contains automatic Steam Conversion Tool which will make even the Steam version of the game easily modable. Otherwise, it' pretty complicated for non advanced users.
What exactly does this tool do?
Old 12-15-18, 07:50 PM   #11
Nicrolyte
Swabbie

Downloads: 74
Default 2 Questions about this tread (which took forever to find.)

First this is the correct thread Which isnt closed and brings forward the issue which I feel there are several players out there who whould otherwise purchase the game and play if it where simple enough to Get to a playable version of the game. The only reason I stayed the course is the TWoS Mod which Finally worked. I saw all the stuff about how if one had Win 10, Steam, something else i might be forgetting. That i shouldn't bother unless im an advanced user. Well I usually find myself there, However the time needed to pour through Sub sim is considerable. And its really for one reason. The Sun-sim games have been supported away from steam for decades it appears. so predating STEAM's inception. Therefor the players who find SH5 and what to mod it are only recently becoming a significant portion of the "New Players" (However if $$$ support is what the Forum moderators seek then Id bet Steam players are gonna be Sub-sims largest pool of new players going forward at least with Sh5 as the genre gets very little attention anywhere, However Steam at-least offers minimal support.) Ok enough justification for Taking the time for Steam Players, Just Help us Find the links. I see a STEAM Forum Link which dosnt have SH5 in the game list there. and Moreover there are Greet solutions which are new yet most users from steam Find the overwhelmingly likly result of finding It IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET STEAM ver of SH5 supported for generic patcher, which i see isnt true and there are even non advanced user options... So My Major question is this

Dose the TWoS automatic Steam Conversion Tool "SH5updateSteam.exe" included in the Full convert version 2.2.9 work indecently of the TWoS mod. ie, can that EXE be run after a clean install of SH5, to allow a otherwise typical install of another mod. in OTHER WORDS dose that work as a Steam Ver of SH5.exe fix? to enable all steam users to run that and install say Sobers? Or is it only possible while running the Install of TWoS. Stopping it after it Runs the Generic Patchier and then Following The instructions for Another Mod as I Am in the process of trying myself
Unnessisary Rammbling Beyond this Point _!! Sorry ( I don't see why this logicality wont work but y'all seem like Getting what ya wanted out of your hobby has required Learning C++ so ya prob have more knowledge than you cared to learn Just to play a game..... Mostly Im hoping to leave the ladder down behind myself here helping to convince Sub-sim elders that the new blood will be coming from the path ive walked, At least the ones wiling to spend cash and support your efforts. Which I have read is spent on things like needed software that you never thought would be negotiated prior to 2016 like the 8k$ for something which launched a major campaign here. along with regular stuff. Everyone should Understand that upfront about modders. Moder's are usually just that, Modest. However supporting the community and enabling Uploads downloads or even supplying an up to date space for everyone to coordinate the correct links of the genre which this place dose very effectively. I support that. I love this place and appreciate the resource. Thanks For that. I intend to support more than i already have, Minimally so far, After the holidays I can afford to give more reasonably.

Can A Sticky Be included For Steam Users To this or a more Relivant Thread if it exsits? also Any usful Steam Utilitys Be inculded in the Utilitys pager or For SH5 Patches pagees? That would be really cool!

Last edited by Nicrolyte; 12-15-18 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Forgot Final Comment
Nicrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-18, 04:12 AM   #12
Propnut17
Mate

Downloads: 68
Default 2 Questions about this tread (which took forever to find.)

Nicrolyte I run Win10 and am a user of various Steam games. When It came to SH5, I paid for the Steam version, downloaded and installed the standard SH5 Steam game. During the install I also noted that it installed U-Play.

Once installed I re-booted my PC and ran SH5 once to check that it worked as intended. Again I noted the link back to U-Play during the startup, but all appeared to be in working order. I then made a manual save of the SH5 Steam directory and saved the vanilla installation on my backup drive.

Next was to download the latest (at the time) version of TWoS. During the installation of TWoS I was careful to ensure that all install instructions were followed to the tee. Then when the entire installation process was done i re-booted my PC and re-read through the install instructions ensuring all steps had been completed.

Now when I start the SH5 icon, I get a Steam connection followed by some sort of U-Play handshake, the main loading screen, followed by its black screen brother. Finally some music starts to play and then I know SH5 is ready and waiting to test me.

Sorry I cannot comment on SH3, that one was way before my time.

Propnut17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-18, 08:08 PM   #13
Nicrolyte
Swabbie

Downloads: 74

yes sorry i must apologize. As with all forums i participate. such as "CIv Fanatics." my friends there have trouble with what you might recognize as A little difficulty with Spelling, Compounded with a Legit Attention Deficit Disorder. Making My posts, Well its not that they are Hard to follow. (I am trying to communicate Ideas that are well within my grasp and experience. The Issue I never Ironed out in School is Organized Sequence, I have a tendency (and im not alone to Over Articulate, and hurry through my post as a reaction to a paranoia that i get from anticipating Loss of Cohesion, or worse Complete loss of Ideas which if I could remember them I swear to you may have been worthy Of Academic praise. Alas, They are what they are. LOST and I struggle to get them down in a form which is relevant, non-redundant, and worthy.)

So I thank you for your nod to strict adherence to instructions. Which is not to difficult to follow. just some of the instructions around here are... Well everyone knows and I even touched on it in the last post. I mean This is a Hobby, beyond Gaming. Well modding is. but what i mean to say is this group is Experts cubed. like while there are attempts underway to make the resources here more useful to a wider group of people. Most people who are enjoying mods on PC, or even other platforms, are not able to play these. I mean I should concede that this is "pure Simulation" and the Role playing Element in SH while there, youve really got to want it to Wade this far into this 'Forest Of the LOST WOOD' -zelda ref. to get to the reward. In that theirs a cool Epiphany which Im not gonna describe since its another Tangent.

see, Life Happened And I had another tie in here which refocused my question, which boils down to primarily this, Is there a File Like "SH5updateSteam.exe" included in TWoS Full which works to circumvent the 6 steps Sobers Mod walks Steam players through which coming from steam. Because of the Traffic Flow and major traffic flow, a lot of people are lead astray here. man I gotta go. Im sorry ADmin Feel Free to delete This Post, Im not sure i accomplished anything here, My bad i Got Screwed and self fulfilled the concept i began with which was ment to be a "see look what ive overcome" but. Ill have to resolve that another time i suppose

by the way i did get that, maybe i didnt make that clear at first i had gotten Twos working by the toime i posted here. I cant wait For UBOAT by Deepwater neatyear,... grrr. maybe rally Friends on Steam who enjoy Crew Management which is a very small genre

Last edited by Nicrolyte; 12-16-18 at 08:23 PM.
Nicrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 09:29 AM   #14
Blackswan1940
Bosun

Downloads: 0
Default waited 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackswan1940 View Post
What exactly does this tool do?
Anyone?