SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-10-17, 05:04 AM   #1
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 0
Default Missing Deck Gun

I bet you guys hear this a lot, but i am missing the Deck gun on my Balao class Subs. I am running TMO with RSRDC and just loaded the new construction Balao and noticed there was no deck gun. plenty of AA but no pop gun. I have the mod "Default Bow deck gun" installed and that has fixed this issue on the earlier boats like the Sargo but what do i do here?

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
rein1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 11:08 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein1705 View Post
I bet you guys hear this a lot, but i am missing the Deck gun on my Balao class Subs. I am running TMO with RSRDC and just loaded the new construction Balao and noticed there was no deck gun. plenty of AA but no pop gun. I have the mod "Default Bow deck gun" installed and that has fixed this issue on the earlier boats like the Sargo but what do i do here?
You have the sub that just about every sub skipper in the war dreamed of, but never could get. I think you have corrupted configuration files somewhere. You could spend weeks figuring out just what is wrong or you could fix it in one day by just completely reinstalling the game.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 03:05 PM   #3
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Durn.... ok i'll give it a try. On a different note, i have never commanded a Balao in the game. Never got that far lol. i always get lost somewhere in 1943, or, like now, i have 4 boats i'm playing but they are all in 1942 XD

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
Old 09-10-17, 05:53 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Doesn't that have a "Date" problem also? Or was this the one where the boat comes with an Aft Gun by default, and if you've got a bow gun when changing, you lose the crew positions and the gun? UPC file thingie??... A memory is a terrible thing to lose...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 07:28 PM   #5
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Oh Man, don't reinstall your game - yet. If you can do a little Text editing with Notepad on your Saved Game files ( or a copy of them just to be safe), you probably can save your Career.

It's a common issue, read through the posts & topics below and it may be an easy fix.

As Raptor Pilot says, "One thing that's very important to note is, first save your game in port.
Then apply this fix.
Then start up and load your saved game"
At least we can fix it now. Usually happens if you change the gun from fore to aft or vice versa from where it was when first installed. Also happens sometimes when changing submarine classes.

Combine some of the above information, some talk about crew, some talk about guns & dates, but it is usually an easy fix on the Saved Game files.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 09-10-17 at 07:51 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 07:43 PM   #6
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Doesn't that have a "Date" problem also? Or was this the one where the boat comes with an Aft Gun by default, and if you've got a bow gun when changing, you lose the crew positions and the gun? UPC file thingie??... A memory is a terrible thing to lose...

It was the start of a new game with the 1943 new construction that comes with RSRDC.

I will attempt to fix the issue rather than reinstall the game. Also i have many earlier date careers that i play all the time. I've never ran a Balao class boat.

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
Old 09-10-17, 08:14 PM   #7
propbeanie

aanker to the rescue!!! Thanks bud!

rein1705, when I say "a 'Date' problem", I'm referring to the game itself, which tracks dates a bit differently than you and I... They have February 29th, June 31, April 31, etc., as valid "Dates" in some of the game's config files, but the game itself does not recognize them. If something happens to occur near those dates, it can mess up your boat and / or home port, so it matters little when you start the game when one of those happens. You can also run into "Date" issues when one area of the game has an "upgrade" for equipment on one date, but it's set to a different date in a different area of the game.

The New Construction of course, does take out the issue of a previous boat, but since you've got the "Default Bow deck gun" mod in there, that can trash any game "default" in a similar fashion as moving it yourself. Rockin Robbins way is the easiest way to go, and then don't use the "Default Bow deck gun" mod. But aankers way can save your career, if you're deep into it. Read all that he linked to, and see if it's for you.

Old 09-10-17, 08:32 PM   #8
rein1705
Samurai Navy

OK i've tried editing the save game files to no luck. its as if there never was a deck gun available or intended to be on the Balao class (in my game) but they show up and work just fine on every other class of Boat. Im inclined to just say, OH WELL and stick with the S-36, Narwhal, and Gar, but this bug is bothering me. Suddenly it's if i MUST fix the Balao XD

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
Old 09-10-17, 09:41 PM   #9
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Hey, thank you guys for trying to help me. I've been around this forum for a while and some of you are very familiar to me from years back. its nice to see you guys still here and willing to help out with things like this.

I wonder if part of my problem is the Date that the Balao becomes available in the Stock 1.5 game? but if that were he case i bet more people would have had the same issue. It's like (i think it was) Webster said, it happens to some while most never experience such a bug. Maybe the game is just hating on me for leaving the S-36 for something with an ice cream machine and an air conditioner lol

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
Old 09-11-17, 06:22 AM   #10
propbeanie

Had you backed-off the "Default Bow deck gun" mod before you did your editing? You'll like the ice cream machine and air conditioning...

Old 09-11-17, 12:53 PM   #11
rein1705
Samurai Navy

LOL I have that mod installed. maybe i should try it with it off? i'll give it a try when i get home.

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
Old 09-13-17, 08:59 AM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

You have the sub the vast majority of sub skippers wanted! As Sam Dealey said when he was asked where he wanted his deck gun mounted, "I don't care whether it's fore or aft, just so it has wheels so I can roll it overboard." He figured the extra knot or so of underwater speed was worth a lot more than a useless pop gun whose main function was to lure subs into getting their fool selves killed.

That all begs the question: is the sub in SH4 faster underwater without the draggy deck gun? Or is the deck gun just eye candy having no bearing on anything? My money's on eye candy......

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-13-17 at 09:16 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 08:14 PM   #13
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42

Now, now RR. The deck gun wasn't entirely useless.

You have to hang the wet clothes somewhere.
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-17, 12:05 AM   #14
rein1705
Samurai Navy

It keeps the coastal command at bay! XD
I find the Deck Guns very useful. i can shell ships that i would otherwise have to waist another torpedo on and i like to shell unarmed Maru's when its safe enough to do it.

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...