SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-18, 03:43 AM   #1
Ernstww
Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Crash while loading missions

I have GWX .3 and Ahnenerbe Wide Screen mods.

After starting a new career and completing 8 extended missions, sailing into Plymouth swimming ashore and having a pint, without seeing a single enemy contact, I figured something was wrong. So I removed the Indian Ocean Campaign and Black Sea Campaign mods from GWX, thinking they might be preventing Atlantic contacts from spawning.

Since then the game crashes during the loading mission screen. So I added them back, it still crashes, I removed all mods, it still crashes, I reinstalled the game, it crashes at the same load screen.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Ernstww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 05:55 AM   #3
Dagoth_Ur
Loader

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernstww View Post
I have GWX .3 and Ahnenerbe Wide Screen mods.

After starting a new career and completing 8 extended missions, sailing into Plymouth swimming ashore and having a pint, without seeing a single enemy contact, I figured something was wrong. So I removed the Indian Ocean Campaign and Black Sea Campaign mods from GWX, thinking they might be preventing Atlantic contacts from spawning.

Since then the game crashes during the loading mission screen. So I added them back, it still crashes, I removed all mods, it still crashes, I reinstalled the game, it crashes at the same load screen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

After removing the game, you must clean the registry (with CCleaner for exemple).

For the contacts, don't activate Mediterranean sea, indian ocean or black sea mods if you are not on this seas.
Look at the read-me ;-)
Old 08-26-18, 12:43 PM   #4
Ernstww
Mate

Downloads: 2

Hi TB,

Thanks for the info.

In my case, I am working with a Steam version so my approach may need to be different.

So far, after a steam uninstall, and a deletion of GTX 3 and a CC Cleaner registry clean (and putting the cat outside), I have the following:

Vanilla SH3 from Steam runs and loads careers apparently normally but in a small lo-res letterbox.

So I installed JSGME by itself in the Steam/ steamapps/Silent Hunter III folder and then dropped 'Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 Final' into JSGME. I am running this setup by clicking the SH3.exe in the Steam folder instead of running through Steam. This config loads careers so far without crashes.

Fingers crossed. No Grey Wolves mod, maybe I will try that later. I think it may have been the problem. The crashing began when I unmounted the GWX Campaigns in JSGME.
Ernstww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 03:41 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi E
GWX looks for the SH3.exe.
It sound like you have more than the one.
You just need to point it to the right one if that is the case.
GWX can normally be installed anywhere.
If your game and SH3.exe you are using is in the Program Files (x86) directory this may be a problem as this directory is restricted.
In this case I would put GWX in the same main game folder as the SH3.exe you are using.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote