Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-18, 02:04 PM   #1
rusirius
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Another "Old" newb

Sit right back and I'll tell you a tale...

1987 I believe it was when I fire up Silent Service. Back in the days when starting up a game and seeing that Microprose logo meant you were going to be in for a FANTASTIC gaming session. I have to give a quick shout out to F-19 and F-117A here. Man I loved those games even if that paper/cardboard keyboard overlay was a little crazy. Anyway.... I did my best, but being 11 years old at the time I wasn't exactly up to speed on my finer submarine tactics. Most sessions were generally me fumbling around having no clue what I was doing, launching a few torpedoes and remarking at how awesome I was quickly followed by my sub blowing up. Perhaps the submarine life just wasn't for me. Or perhaps I should at least wait till I have to shave.

Fast forward about 3 years and now I'm loading up my copy of 688 Attack Sub (the original by EA, not the follow up EA/Jane's version) and begin anew as a 14 year old Captain. Perhaps it was the age, but a fared a bit better this time around. I still had my fair share of getting blown to pieces. Ok, honestly I blew up much more often than I blew anything else up, but I felt more accomplished in general. I played it a LOT, and if I remember correctly I think I even managed to get through all 10 or however many limited missions it had. LOL. At the end of the day (or few years I guess you could say) I had played this a TON and loved every minute of it. It left a lasting impression and has often been remembered fondly while reminiscing of my early "video game" days.

Turning on time compression and zooming ahead about 7 years ahead we arrive somewhere around 1997. A college student now I remember walking through Incredible Universe. For those unfamiliar there were a giant warehouse store of sorts that was ALL electronics and such. A joint venture by Tandy/Radio Shack I believe as you often found Tandy/Radio Shack merchandise mixed in with their stuff. Anyway, I remember walking through one day and spotting a copy of Jane's 688(i) on the shelf. The name immediately caught my eye and hearkened back to all those many hours spent playing 688 Attack Sub. One look at the back of the box and I knew I just had to have it. Off I went to install it on my PC and begin reliving my childhood.

Explosion after Explosion after Explosion... But it was me exploding... Over and over. LOL. It seemed there was no end.

"The only way to win the game was not to play at all..."

Off to the corner it was sent, and never really thought about again. Often times over the years I would think back to those days, but never really had the time to go back to it.

I'm not exactly sure how, but somehow I managed to miss the Silent Hunter series altogether. Work, life, family, etc took over and went into high gear and my gaming pretty much went away.

A couple years back I had a brief moment where I thought to myself, "Gee, I really had fun with those submarine games back in the day. I should see what's out there now and snag something."

Almost immediately I found Silent Hunter 5. But then I found lots of people talking about how terrible it was. Then there were those saying to just get Silent Hunter III, but others talking about how dated the graphics were, etc.

To be honest it was all very confusing, so finally I just said, "screw it" and walked away having purchased nothing.

So recently I stumbled across Cold Waters. Realizing it was a pretty recent release, and that it seemed to have really good reviews, I figured it was time to plunge back into the ocean waters.

I have to say I really love the game. Sometimes with the camera views and stuff I almost feel like I'm cheating, but on the other hand I keep reminding myself that this is what the game is intended to be. I don't have to sit there and try to figure out how to calculate the triangulation to get an idea of distance while getting a depth charge or torpedo rammed up my rear. I can let the men man their stations and do the leg work for me. I just have to command. Well, sort of.

I love the game and have played a lot and will probably continue to play.

I've also considered revisiting the Silent Hunter series, but honestly still haven't come any closer to making a decision. Sure I could buy III, 4, and 5... But I really didn't want to try to get into 3 different games at the same time. So perhaps at some point I might actually make a decision and get started in one of those as well.

In the mean time, here I am... In all my glory... Saying Ahoy.

I've run on far too long, so it's time for some shore leave.
rusirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 10:28 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Smashing first post! Welcome to Subsim.
Old 03-07-18, 11:05 PM   #3
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Welcome to SubSim rusirius.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 11:49 PM   #4
burgwaechter
Swabbie

Downloads: 27

welcome to Subsim
burgwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 12:45 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

rusirius! & burgwaechter!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-18, 06:31 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Matey

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 02:26 AM   #7
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Good to read your backstory, rusirius. Get SHIII... you can't go wrong. You can get it on disc for pennies, then move on to SH4 or 5 later
Old 03-09-18, 03:38 AM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > rusirius
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3-4-5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-18, 11:39 AM   #9
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Welcome Aboard!

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-18, 09:25 AM   #10
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Welcome aboard and enjoy SUBSIM!

If you have a Facebook account, you can join us!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25990473292/

For SH5, things are better now. Go to The Wolfes of Steel thread. TWoS is an easy install and very stable, with great gameplay, mod for SH5 1.20.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-18, 11:24 AM   #11
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 312
Icon14

Welcome to SubSim rusirius.

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-18, 07:44 AM   #12
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Welcome to Subsim, rusirius. Great Introduction as well.

Enjoy your time here.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote