SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #31
schlechter pfennig
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 397
Downloads: 34
Uploads: 5
Default New and Improved release!

A new and improved, Rev. A, mod has been released. I have extensively tested it for the save-and-load-CTD bug and (so far at least) I haven't had a CTD. I have only tested that so far using WAC 5.0.

The revised file(s) are located at http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5340

Thanks to everyone that has provided input, especially LGN1 for pointing out ID errors.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #32
Anvar1061
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: on land,on air and on sea
Posts: 947
Downloads: 538
Uploads: 0
Default

"Hunted"
Briefing = Attack with conventional depth charges required a direct passage of the ship over the target. The old deep-seated bombs were first dropped on the simplest principle: "roll the barrel." Dropped from the stern of the destroyer, they began to somersault in a wake. This "underwater acrobatics" reduced the rate of immersion of the bomb and could take it away. Depending on the speed of the ship, the type of bomb and the depth of immersing the submarine, it took time to submerge deep-sea bombs at a given depth. During this time the submarine could significantly change its course, speed and depth of immersion. Moreover, the thunder of ruptures of deep-seated bombs was temporarily deafened by the receivers, and the water vortices created by them helped the submarine hide. In such conditions, contact could be lost completely. In addition, the U-boat can use its own sonar for detection on the surface of the ship, which hunts for it. Therefore, the game of cat and mouse does not always end in favor of the hunter. Good luck, Herr Kaleun!

Last edited by Anvar1061; 03-17-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #33
schlechter pfennig
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 397
Downloads: 34
Uploads: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
"Hunted"
Briefing = Attack with conventional depth charges required a direct passage of the ship over the target. The old deep-seated bombs were first dropped on the simplest principle: "roll the barrel." Dropped from the stern of the destroyer, they began to somersault in a wake. This "underwater acrobatics" reduced the rate of immersion of the bomb and could take it away. Depending on the speed of the ship, the type of bomb and the depth of immersing the submarine, it took time to submerge deep-sea bombs at a given depth. During this time the submarine could significantly change its course, speed and depth of immersion. Moreover, the thunder of ruptures of deep-seated bombs was temporarily deafened by the receivers, and the water vortices created by them helped the submarine hide. In such conditions, contact could be lost completely. In addition, the U-boat can use its own sonar for detection on the surface of the ship, which hunts for it. Therefore, the game of cat and mouse does not always end in favor of the hunter. Good luck, Herr Kaleun!
I like it!
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #34
Anvar1061
Grey Wolf
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: on land,on air and on sea
Posts: 947
Downloads: 538
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
I like it!
Sorry for my bad english.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #35
ThePrody
undead
 
ThePrody's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Romania
Posts: 71
Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
Default

i'm afraid i have some bad news : just tried the new version of your mod with NYGM in campaign and it still crashes after a depth-charge encounter .
ThePrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #36
schlechter pfennig
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 397
Downloads: 34
Uploads: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrody View Post
i'm afraid i have some bad news : just tried the new version of your mod with NYGM in campaign and it still crashes after a depth-charge encounter .
Are you using the latest, Rev. A version?

What mods, if any, are you running?
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #37
ThePrody
undead
 
ThePrody's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Romania
Posts: 71
Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
Default

yes, the latest ofc, the other one crashed my game also some weeks ago .
heres the mod list , it works very well, i never had a single crash in NYGM in more than a year or abusing it ( at least until i installed your mod ) , in my opinion is the most stable supermod out there and the saves load in 30-60 secs .

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
IABLShipsforNYGM_New_Thomsen
NYGM_HiRes_Submarines_3_6F
3rd Flotilla Mod
Harbor Traffic Add-In
Minefield JPGs
NYGM Tonnage War Minefield Mod
Thomsen's Sound Pack V3.2cg
RadioMessage - MorseCodeOnly
KB's Diesel Sound Mod
TMT mod (NYGM version)
OFFICER_FACES v1.0
Evan82's Uniforms II
Bearded faces
Extra_files_for_Hsie_patch_V16B1
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1
More wounded & less dead crew v2 - for V16B1 (JSGME)
FM30_UpDown_NYGM_
DD_OH_V3.09_20091209162038
FM_NewInterior v2.1D
FM_NI_Fix_for_Anvart_FM30_UpDown
Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 Final
Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 Final - FILES for NYGM v3.6D
ahnenerbe widegui F5 toolcard's windroses corrected
Clear NavMapTable
Color Dials with Dark Compass
O2-Gauges v2
SobersSmoke
Single Merchant Contact Mod
ThePrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #38
schlechter pfennig
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 397
Downloads: 34
Uploads: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrody View Post
yes, the latest ofc, the other one crashed my game also some weeks ago .
heres the mod list , it works very well, i never had a single crash in NYGM in more than a year or abusing it ( at least until i installed your mod ) , in my opinion is the most stable supermod out there and the saves load in 30-60 secs .
Well, I thought I'd had that fixed for every major supermod. Just retested this again and, even with it unmodded, it CTDs.

I have no idea why at this time.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:16 PM   #39
schlechter pfennig
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 397
Downloads: 34
Uploads: 5
Default I have discovered the source of the CTD problem

I have discovered the source of the CTDs when Depth Charge Noise mod is enabled. However, I have no idea how to find the root cause or how to fix it (assuming it is fixable).

Reports of CTDs when loading a saved game that has Depth Charge Noise mod enabled has been extraordinarily vexing. Since the CTD doesn’t happen unless depth charges have previously been deployed and exploded before saving the game, testing variables is time consuming, since it involves first being attacked and depth charged, and then successfully evading the attacking escorts. This can take up an hour, or more, to resolve to a point where the sub can surface away from units in order to make a clean game save. As well, loading missions can take upwards of 6-10 minutes, due to the loading times of some of the supermods.

The cycle of tests for this mod have, for the most part, followed this pattern: 1) run a mission without the Depth Charge Noise mod enabled, avoid attacks, save then reload; 2) run a mission with the Depth Charge Noise mod enabled, avoid attacks, save then reload; 3) run a mission with the Depth Charge Noise mod enabled, be attacked then evade and escape, save then reload; 4) run a mission with the Depth Charge Noise mod enabled, be attacked then evade and escape, save then reload.

This testing cycle is repeated for each of the following: Stock Silent Hunter III, GWX Gold, GWX Gold heavily modded, NYGM (unmodded), WAC 5.0, and WAC 5.0 modded.

In order to expedite testing, a final mod was enabled, this one consisting of three blank campaign files, so that the test missions would rapidly load.

At the time of my releasing Revision A of the Depth Charge Noise mod, I had tested that revision multiple times with all six game versions and experienced no CTDs when loading a saved game, so I was quite surprised when reports of CTDs surfaced. I went back and reran the test missions, and was stunned when loading a newly saved game it CTD.

After several hours of digging through files, checking IDs for duplicates, errors in file structure, etc., I realized that, after having run the pre-release tests, I’d disabled the blank campaign files mod. I re-enabled that, then ran another cycle of tests.

No CTD.

I disabled it, and ran another round of tests.

CTD.

I then created three different blank campaign files, isolating the _LND, _RND, and _SCR files, then ran cycles of tests against all six game versions, and got the same result each time:

The _RND campaign file somehow causes the CTD when loading a saved game if the Depth Charge Noise mod is enabled and depth charges have been deployed and exploded.

Guys, I’m at a loss here. I’ve absolutely no idea why the _RND campaign file causes a CTD, especially a CTD on loading a game modified by the Depth Charge Noise mod, and only after a depth charge explodes. It just doesn’t make sense.

I’ve no familiarity at all with campaign files. Here’s hoping someone with more experience there than I have can help me figure out just what is going on.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #40
gap
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CJ8937
Posts: 7,143
Downloads: 688
Uploads: 9


Default

Hi schlechter pfennig,

for a start let me congratulate with you, because I love the concept that this mod is based on, and also the fact that it integrates some "immersion" factors, such as visual and sound FX.

As others have already noted, TheDarWraith/RacerBoy had tried in the past something similar, and using a similar approach to your mod (DC explosion-spawned bold effects), though concentrating exclusively on gameplay factors. I don't see anything substantially wrong in that approach, but unfortunately that mod too was known for crashing the game. I am sorry to say that but, at this point, both mods causing CTD's might not be a mere cohincidence.

My suggestion to further investigate the problem, in case you want to go through another cycle of tests, is breaking the mod in small pieces: try separating the gameplay, visual, and audio aspects of it, creating three separate mods with just the essential controllers. If only one (or two) of them will still crash the game, you'll have narrowed down the problem. If on the contary no crashes are recorded this time, it is possible that some of the features of the main mod are clashing with each other. If that was the case, I would use one of the three sub-mods recently tested as base for a new set of tests, and I would start adding features from the other two mods to it, one by one. Hopefully, by following this method, you will eventually track down the problem. I say hopefully because there are some topics related with SH-modding, and with computer science in general, that go beyond our human problem-solving abilities
__________________
_____________________
|May the Force be with you!|
...\/
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #41
schlechter pfennig
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 397
Downloads: 34
Uploads: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Hi schlechter pfennig,

for a start let me congratulate with you, because I love the concept that this mod is based on, and also the fact that it integrates some "immersion" factors, such as visual and sound FX.
I appreciate that! Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

As others have already noted, TheDarWraith/RacerBoy had tried in the past something similar, and using a similar approach to your mod (DC explosion-spawned bold effects), though concentrating exclusively on gameplay factors. I don't see anything substantially wrong in that approach, but unfortunately that mod too was known for crashing the game. I am sorry to say that but, at this point, both mods causing CTD's might not be a mere cohincidence.
I'd actually started work on the depth charge noise mod back in April 2008, but went on hiatus due to health reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
My suggestion to further investigate the problem, in case you want to go through another cycle of tests, is breaking the mod in small pieces: try separating the gameplay, visual, and audio aspects of it, creating three separate mods with just the essential controllers. If only one (or two) of them will still crash the game, you'll have narrowed down the problem. If on the contary no crashes are recorded this time, it is possible that some of the features of the main mod are clashing with each other. If that was the case, I would use one of the three sub-mods recently tested as base for a new set of tests, and I would start adding features from the other two mods to it, one by one. Hopefully, by following this method, you will eventually track down the problem. I say hopefully because there are some topics related with SH-modding, and with computer science in general, that go beyond our human problem-solving abilities
"If on the contary no crashes are recorded this time, it is possible that some of the features of the main mod are clashing with each other." I already have determined that the features of the mod are not clashing with each other, since when I run the game with a blank _RND campaign file it works just fine. However, breaking the mod into bits and pieces to see which aspects of it are interfering with the _RND might be useful, as might editing the _RND file itself to see what particular aspects of it (if any) cause the interference.
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:30 PM   #42
gap
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CJ8937
Posts: 7,143
Downloads: 688
Uploads: 9


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
I appreciate that! Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
I'd actually started work on the depth charge noise mod back in April 2008, but went on hiatus due to health reasons.
I see, anyway the point is not about who started first. What matters is that two mods, separed but based on the same idea, are similarly crashing the game. I can be a cohincidence, or perhaps it is not

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
breaking the mod into bits and pieces to see which aspects of it are interfering with the _RND might be useful, as might editing the _RND file itself to see what particular aspects of it (if any) cause the interference.
__________________
_____________________
|May the Force be with you!|
...\/
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #43
La vache
Helmsman
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0
Default

Hello schlechter pfennig

You are Albrecht Von Hesse creator of Increased_ASW_a.
I already use revised version of their mod many years ago.
Have your work Depth Charge Noise mod also integrated.
It works perfectly together. Thank you for your excellent work.

__________________
U-218 U-2324
La vache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #44
schlechter pfennig
Sonar Guy
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 397
Downloads: 34
Uploads: 5
Default SUCCESS!!!

I have found the cause of the CTD that occurs when loading a saved game after depth charges have been dropped and exploded . . .

The icebergs in the campaign.RND file.

For whatever reason, once I deleted RndGroup 1 through RndGroup 50 (Iceberg_39_01 through Iceberg_43_09) I no longer experience CTD.

I have no idea what's up with this, or why it happens, only that it does.

CORRECTION:

It is the mentioned icebergs for stock, NYGM and WAC, but not for GWX Gold. The file structure for GWX Gold is different, although it is still the icebergs that cause the issue.




CORRECTION?UPDATE: After further testing I discovered I'd been incorectly modifying for testing the _RND campaign file. Although that file is what is causing the CTD I have not, as yet, fixed the problem.

Last edited by schlechter pfennig; 04-04-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: correction; added file location
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #45
gap
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CJ8937
Posts: 7,143
Downloads: 688
Uploads: 9


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
I have found the cause of the CTD that occurs when loading a saved game after depth charges have been dropped and exploded . . .

The icebergs in the campaign.RND file.
Good finding

Does it apply to the unmodded game too, or stock icebergs get along fine with your mod?
__________________
_____________________
|May the Force be with you!|
...\/
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2018 Subsim