SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-15, 03:10 AM   #31
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar2Niner View Post
@manos

What news on your work my friend, any updates?

Very best regards.

Fubar2Niner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
+1 :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Same despair here!!!

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
hello guys,

be patient , it will take time as i have to prepare three different (three resolutions) adjusting files for each supermod
i don't know when i will be done with it as i currently no moding at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosub1978 View Post
The IMPACT ANGLE, is not always 90!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torped...ctionAngle.png

I always love you Mak! You know that very well!
hello Geosub my friend
you made a very nice observation

i saw the graph that you mentioned , it is showing how the values of deflection angle are depending of the values of track angle(for given target's and torpedo's speeds).it names as optimum track angle the:

''Optimum track angle is defined as the point of minimum deflection angle sensitivity to track angle errors for a given target speed. This minimum occurs at the points of zero slope on the curves in Figure 4 (these points are marked by small triangles)''

these points ( i mean the points of zero slope on the curves) are exactly the points where the fuctions appear their max or min values (in this case ,their max). in other words,the graph is naming as ''optimum track angle'' the track angle that is giving us the maximum deflection angle .
i see no logic behind all this , why on the max of deflection angle we have the best track angle ?

in my opinion the principles for the best impact angle are:
1) when torp is running on a 90 degrees impact course ,is 'looking' the full length of ship so target looks 'bigger' looking through torp's ''eyes'' and this ,also, reducing the possibilities for torp to miss becuase of some not so acurate target's data.
2)becuase of the detonators the torps had back then ,there was the possibility for torp not to explode if this angle was not in the area of 90 +- 20 degrees (so good track angles are 70 to 110 degrees)

i will keep be skeptical on this as i am thinking that maybe there is the possibillity for the torpedo's detonator to need to ''meet'' the hull of ship in a different than 90° due the big speed of target.i don't know if there are physics on these kind of collisions but i can't think something reasonable enough for not choosing the 90° as best impact angle.

one way or the other ,the impact dial will allow to players to choose whatever impact angle they prefer(90° or not) so ,even if the graph is correct, the users can take advantage of it

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods

Last edited by makman94; 06-28-15 at 03:37 AM.
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 06:08 AM   #32
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413
Uploads: 0

Patience is the best feature of any uboat commander, but after that what you described about this mod it's very difficult to wait thinking about how it will change the game. It looks fantastic and we wanna check this as fast as it's possible.
I'm waiting specially for your new MaGUI HAHD to start playing SH3 campaign again.
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 02:36 PM   #33
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229

To be honest, I still try to figure out the logic behind the "MAXIMUM" Deflection Angle. I believe that you have already understand that this graph represents the values of your BROKEN TDC METHOD charts for 46knotters.

Personally I believe that it has something to do with the turning rate of the target in the case of evading the torpedoes, or it gives somehow the maximum hit probability in the case of course/speed change or miscalculation which is also the case if the target is turning. The total target length has nothing to do, because this can be compensated by adjusting the SALVO SPREAD, which is based on the distance of the target, the Impact Angle, which defines the effective target length, the number of the desired hits and the desired overlapping.

Last edited by geosub1978; 06-28-15 at 02:44 PM.
geosub1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-15, 10:05 PM   #34
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
i see no logic behind all this , why on the max of deflection angle we have the best track angle ?

It isn't really a matter of it being the maximum deflection, per se, but rather the point where the slope is at a minimum. Since the curve is flat at that point, any inaccuracy in the target's course will produce only a slight error at the target. If you are shooting at a 20 kn. target, a Ta of 115° would be ideal (defection of 26°). An error of 5° would give an error of, perhaps ½° (going by the chart). If you want to make an attack with a smaller deflection angle, say for a Ta of 160° (deflection of 14°), it is certainly possible, but your estimate of the target's course better be good; an error of 5° in the Ta, will give an error of about 3½°, much greater than at a Ta of 115°.

To put it another way, as you get away from the optimum track angle, the deflection angle changes faster and faster, making a hit increasingly difficult.

Quote:
To be honest, I still try to figure out the logic behind the "MAXIMUM" Deflection Angle.

Personally I believe that it has something to do with the turning rate of the target in the case of evading the torpedoes, or it gives somehow the maximum hit probability in the case of course/speed change or miscalculation which is also the case if the target is turning.
This is a common misunderstanding. We don't know what the target's turning abilities, or evasion abilities are. Calculations aimed at countering these would require specific data, and probably be very involved, as there are so many variables. The scope of the chart and data only encompasses errors in track angle or target's course. (There is a direct relationship between these.) Some writing favored 90° Ta's with the idea that the target must turn more to evade a torpedo, than with other angles. Doctrine wasn't the same everywhere, or at every time.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 04:35 AM   #35
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
To be honest, I still try to figure out the logic behind the "MAXIMUM" Deflection Angle. I believe that you have already understand that this graph represents the values of your BROKEN TDC METHOD charts for 46knotters.
i see what you meant now Geosub,
i hadn't understand you and i thought that the point of the graphs was the optimum track angle. (the graph is marking as best track angle the angle that is giving the max deflection angle thats why i talked about the ''maximum'').

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
It isn't really a matter of it being the maximum deflection, per se, but rather the point where the slope is at a minimum. Since the curve is flat at that point, any inaccuracy in the target's course will produce only a slight error at the target. If you are shooting at a 20 kn. target, a Ta of 115° would be ideal (defection of 26°). An error of 5° would give an error of, perhaps ½° (going by the chart). If you want to make an attack with a smaller deflection angle, say for a Ta of 160° (deflection of 14°), it is certainly possible, but your estimate of the target's course better be good; an error of 5° in the Ta, will give an error of about 3½°, much greater than at a Ta of 115°.

To put it another way, as you get away from the optimum track angle, the deflection angle changes faster and faster, making a hit increasingly difficult.

hello TorpX ,

i see your point and i understand the logic of the graph,
thank you for your input

Old 07-16-15, 10:49 PM   #36
Oby
Medic

Downloads: 458

This looks great...

I'm gonna reinstall SH3...After eight years...I must find my DVD copy, or was it CD...

Great,great,great...
Oby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 08:39 AM   #37
CaptainFunk
Watch

Downloads: 26

Absolutely Love the Magui UI's thank you so much
CaptainFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 12:47 PM   #38
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

@Makman: As you know, HanSolo is doing a great update of WAC (the WAC 5 version).

I can´t think WAC 5 without an special adapted MaGUI HAHD and a compatible MEP.

Contact HanSolo, please! Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 07:19 PM   #39
makman94
Hellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
@Makman: As you know, HanSolo is doing a great update of WAC (the WAC 5 version).

I can´t think WAC 5 without an special adapted MaGUI HAHD and a compatible MEP.

Contact HanSolo, please! Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo
hello Fitz,

both of my mods will be fully compatible with the next version of WAC.
You can be sure about this as an edited WAC is my favourite supermod

Old 08-09-15, 12:09 AM   #40
jaxa
The Old Man

Makman, any news about progress of MaGUI HAHD?
Old 08-09-15, 02:18 PM   #41
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
hello Fitz,

both of my mods will be fully compatible with the next version of WAC.
You can be sure about this as an edited WAC is my favourite supermod
Many thanks and waiting the new WAC and MaGUI.

All the best.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 01:51 PM   #42
jaxa
The Old Man

Makman, I have a question about recognition book (you rerworked it as I can see) - all silhuettes will be changed from the stock SH3/GWX? What about additional ships from MFM mod - do you plan to include them?
Old 09-05-15, 07:37 AM   #43
JCWolf
Admiral

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 1

U-BOOT_HAHD Edition this mod never came out or didn't yet did he !???

JCWolf Mediafire SHIII Page

User name : JCWolf
Password : stefre@jcm
JCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 08:23 AM   #44
jaxa
The Old Man

U-boot HAHD was cancelled unfortunately, but Makman, author of HAHD GUI, fortunately decided to release it as a standalone mod. This GUI looks superb, IMHO it will be the best GUI for SH3 ever made. I wait for it impatiently. With new U-boot models from Wise & Co. SH3 will looks like a new game.
Old 09-05-15, 08:15 PM   #45
JCWolf
Admiral

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
U-boot HAHD was cancelled unfortunately, but Makman, author of HAHD GUI, fortunately decided to release it as a standalone mod. This GUI looks superb, IMHO it will be the best GUI for SH3 ever made. I wait for it impatiently. With new U-boot models from Wise & Co. SH3 will looks like a new game.

Cool...lets then wait for this and the U-boats....

JCWolf Mediafire SHIII Page

User name : JCWolf
Password : stefre@jcm
JCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote