SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-18, 02:28 AM   #1
bamagrad99
Nub

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default Need help with CTD problem

Hello all! This is the first time I've posted here but I've been a computer submarine commander since I discovered Aces of the Deep back in 1995. I' ve played both SH3 and SH4 a good bit over the years (with GWX/ Trigger Maru) and recently got the urge to start playing again. I purchased them on Steam and I am having the same weird crash bug in both games which I hope someone here can help with.

My OS is Windows 10. SH4 says its version 1.5. SH3 is the Steam download version. I've tinkered with compatibility settings and currently have them on Win XP sp3.

Unmodded, both SH3 and SH4 run great.

With a mod installed (GWX3 for SH3 and Trigger Maru 2-5 for SH4), however, both games frequently CTD but only upon entering the world for a career mission. Both games start with no problems. Training missions start and run with no problems. But try to load a save or start a new mission; the load screen plays, the progress bar fills up, and then the game just closes with no error message. On the rare occasion that the mission does load, the modded game plays great.

I have tried other mods. For example, I tried Ahnenerbe's widegui 1920x1080 mod for SH3. It looked fantastic and seemed to run great while I did some torpedo and artillery practice missions. But as soon as I tried to load a career mission...CTD.

So, friends, what might be causing me to have this exact same problem with loading career missions in both games?
bamagrad99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 03:38 AM   #2
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagrad99 View Post
Hello all! This is the first time I've posted here but I've been a computer submarine commander since I discovered Aces of the Deep back in 1995. I' ve played both SH3 and SH4 a good bit over the years (with GWX/ Trigger Maru) and recently got the urge to start playing again. I purchased them on Steam and I am having the same weird crash bug in both games which I hope someone here can help with.

My OS is Windows 10. SH4 says its version 1.5. SH3 is the Steam download version. I've tinkered with compatibility settings and currently have them on Win XP sp3.

Unmodded, both SH3 and SH4 run great.

With a mod installed (GWX3 for SH3 and Trigger Maru 2-5 for SH4), however, both games frequently CTD but only upon entering the world for a career mission. Both games start with no problems. Training missions start and run with no problems. But try to load a save or start a new mission; the load screen plays, the progress bar fills up, and then the game just closes with no error message. On the rare occasion that the mission does load, the modded game plays great.

I have tried other mods. For example, I tried Ahnenerbe's widegui 1920x1080 mod for SH3. It looked fantastic and seemed to run great while I did some torpedo and artillery practice missions. But as soon as I tried to load a career mission...CTD.

So, friends, what might be causing me to have this exact same problem with loading career missions in both games?
Hi barmagrad99
Need you install 4gb patch
https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

OR

Large Adress Adware
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/
Old 12-10-18, 05:15 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > bamagrad99
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

As already pointed out by hauangua using additional ram like the L.A.A. application is usually installed for SH4.

Quote:
however, both games frequently CTD but only upon entering the world for a career mission
The most likely cause for this > you are not running your SH4.exe as an administrator.

Check also that you have correctly setup your gpu for SH games.
Post #239 Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings > Essential Settings > Pictorial

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 12-10-18 at 05:25 AM.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 09:21 AM   #4
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Also, move your Steam install out of the Program Files (x86) folder if you have it installed there. Something like C:\Games will suffice.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 05:47 PM   #5
bamagrad99
Nub

Downloads: 34

Thank you all for the quick responses. The 4gb patch was the missing piece of the puzzle.

bamagrad99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 06:46 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

bamagrad94!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote