SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-08, 03:07 PM   #1
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Anyone working on Atlantic Mod for 1.5?

Hey I've looked around and I was wondering if anyone was working or thinking about working on an atlantic theater mod for 1.5. I like everything about SH4 but I don't want to buy the add-on unless I'm going to play in the atlantic with a U-boat. Its just personally preferance of course, I'm sure the game is good and I'm also certain that a mod of that caliber would be very difficult indeed, or maybe just switching something around I wouldn't know.

I would love to see SH3 in the SH4 engine. Then this truly would be the greatest of all subsims. The pacific for players who like playing the americans. The atlantic for those who would enjoy the germans.
Old 03-30-08, 03:30 PM   #2
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

Its a MAJOR task - but it almost sure to happen, I think thats why the Devs put the Uboat missions addon out - just there little way of laying the foundations for modders so to speak.
Old 03-30-08, 03:30 PM   #3
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Porting of SH3 to SH4 wont be quick
Will take a fair bit of time
Plenty to do

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
Old 03-30-08, 10:16 PM   #4
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180

i didnt think i would like the indian ocean operations either. im pretty much hooked right now.
Old 03-31-08, 09:27 AM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default yes!

You are the loser here. SH4UBM should be lame. It should be no fun. It sounds like a complete abortion. Explanations of the features leave you convulsed with laughter. There's nothing you want in the add-on.

Until you play it!

Try it, you'll like it. There is some unidentified potent addictive drug in there!
Old 03-31-08, 10:04 AM   #6
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Better than Disneyland?

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Old 03-31-08, 01:17 PM   #7
Factor
Weps

Downloads: 180

better than disneyland on acid imo. well, maybe.
Old 03-31-08, 02:52 PM   #8
Dutch
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 19

Well sounds like you guys got it pretty bad here, I'm afriad I would have withdrawls from SH4 TM/RSRD/NSM if I tried something new, or possibly have an adverse reaction and be addicted to both, it has been seriously detremental to my relationship with my significant other.

No doubt that porting it would be a task indeed. But thats what was said about GWX if I remember. I know it can be done but I'm just having so much with SH4 1.4 that I just can't tear myself away. I'm guessing you can't but 1.5 in stores? I've looked but have not seen it. Don't trust the whole D2D if my hd fails I have to buy it again. But I will continue my search and maybe in a few months once I pull myself from 1.4 I will upgrade!
Old 03-31-08, 03:23 PM   #9
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

You need to upgrade now. The fleet boats got some new stuff and of course the uboats are now there. The game plays much better and has improved quite a bit in this area. For $10.00 you can not go wrong. Make two installations....original SH4 and then the add on installation. I recommend you get the add now anyway as TMO/RFB and all the other mods are heading towards 1.5 compatiblity.
Old 03-31-08, 06:10 PM   #10
Pikes
Seaman

Downloads: 42

I know exactly what you mean about the Atlantic theme. But the game is awesome anyway, there are so many touches that are better. One day we may have both...
Old 03-31-08, 06:22 PM   #11
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88
Its a MAJOR task - but it almost sure to happen, I think thats why the Devs put the Uboat missions addon out - just there little way of laying the foundations for modders so to speak.
Yes i´m agree with this.Devs give to the community the "how to" in one of the most diffficults parts of the future mod, the U-Boats adaptation, targeting, textures, interiors, crew...The next os a huge task, but comparable with GWX, and it can be done.What´s the next ? campaing layers, allied units, ports, interface changes, playable fast boats...(in the pacific too ) ....

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Old 04-05-08, 12:03 AM   #12
Skyhawk
A-ganger

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Hey I've looked around and I was wondering if anyone was working or thinking about working on an atlantic theater mod for 1.5. I like everything about SH4 but I don't want to buy the add-on unless I'm going to play in the atlantic with a U-boat. Its just personally preferance of course, I'm sure the game is good and I'm also certain that a mod of that caliber would be very difficult indeed, or maybe just switching something around I wouldn't know.

I would love to see SH3 in the SH4 engine. Then this truly would be the greatest of all subsims. The pacific for players who like playing the americans. The atlantic for those who would enjoy the germans.
It's a given that SOME here at the subsim forums will have, and express, the opinions stated in the replies to the op thus far. So, I will ask one of the original questions posed by "Dutch" in much the same way . . .

Is there anyone out there, who is CURRENTLY working on a conversion of SH3 (with SH4 graphics) or who personally knows of someone else that is?

The question is pretty much a simple one. Any of the following will do if an elaboration on a straight up "yes or no" is felt necessary. . .

"Yes, I am currently working on an SH3 conversion."

"Yes, I personally know of someone who is currently working on an SH3 conversion."

"No, I am not myself, nor do I personally know of, anyone who is currently working on an SH3 conversion."

Of course elaboration and opinions are all fine and well, this is a forum. But how about answering the original question? :hmm:

Enquiring minds want to know. Why the need for all the tap dancing?

No doubt it will be a "big job". But the longest journey begins with a single step, so, has anyone gotten started on this beast????? Anybody personally know of anyone who has????? :hmm:

I would have thought that someone amongst those who adamantly justified the Uboat addon because of the SH3 conversion possibility it would provide (among other possibilities as well) would have been chomping at the bit to get started. :hmm:

If I may quote another subsim member anonymously, "Just saying . . ."
Old 04-05-08, 07:52 AM   #13
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Is there anyone out there, who is CURRENTLY working on a conversion of SH3 (with SH4 graphics) or who personally knows of someone else that is?

Simple answer, yes! Someone is working on SH4UBM but, conversion of SH3 is not part of it.
Old 04-05-08, 09:18 AM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Another simple answer

Yes I personally know someone is working on SH4UBM but although the Atlantik will be recreated in different and superior manner to SH3, he is not reinventing the wheel and the Atlantik will only be a prelude to the misery to follow.

That is really what you seek in a slavish recreation of Sh3, something already done, right? Truly creative people are never happy merely copying the mistakes of the past. SH3 will not live again in SH4 clothing.

Just know that people with better imaginations and abilities than us are working on something you don't know you want yet. Think "google"
Old 04-05-08, 02:18 PM   #15
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly
Porting of SH3 to SH4 wont be quick
Will take a fair bit of time
Plenty to do
Bbw, do you think an automated conversion of SHIII to SHIV could work? Of course Unit types would have to be replaced, but did Ubi make changes to the geographic data / coastlines or would the ships end up in the right spots?

Of course I am only talking about the .mis files - not 3d models and other things that cannot be easily converted.

Closed Thread