SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-10, 10:10 PM   #16
Silverwolf
Officer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
Is the above a collapsible gun ? one that would go in a compartment in the hull when submerged ?

I am looking to animate the Sen Taka's two AA guns this way, but so far haven't got a clue as to how..

If you are working on the same problem maybe we could team up ?

mine needs rotate aft 180 degrees and the base plate then closes the hole.

keltos
It is not totally a collapsible gun, it only pops up a little but it doesn't actually sink into the sub. Those parts around it are doors that fold over the gun. I'll pm you with what I've learned about making the guns collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haozhibof1 View Post
The new version seems great!
I just use MK48 Torpedo replacing MK27, coming from MOD Ohio. After all, MK27 is much too weak.
After loading BBs and your Shark+Titan+Blackworf (original files deleted...), deck guns of BBs are gone. I am still studying this, guessing that maybe it is caused by replacement of 3_50 guns.
What BB mods are you using? The 3_50's should not be making the BBs guns disappear. They're only called by the Blackwolf for use.

GameFront page: http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/Silverwolf996
Silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 10:55 AM   #17
Silverwolf
Officer

Here's some updates. For the prop covers I think this is the best I can get without blocking off the entire duct. The covers pretty much sit on the outer rim of the duct and slide in along the supports. It's going to be a chore to animate but it should look good in the end.

And just like the Kraken the conning tower is going to have an observation section. Also if you look closely at the top of the tower you will see a small mount for one of the browning machine guns. I'm going to attempt to work in something else rditto suggested about guns that can be taken below deck when diving.

Old 04-27-10, 02:06 AM   #18
rditto48801
Mate

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwolf View Post
And just like the Kraken the conning tower is going to have an observation section. Also if you look closely at the top of the tower you will see a small mount for one of the browning machine guns. I'm going to attempt to work in something else rditto suggested about guns that can be taken below deck when diving.
If you can't figure out how to make the guns 'vanish' to represent them being removed, then maybe some simple movement of the gun would work?
It might look odd, but for the pintle mounted ones, maybe just have the guns 'move down' and out of sight into the conning tower?

Any chances of mounting 50. cal guns on the 'sides'/walls of the 'tub', for use as secondary (AI controlled) firepower with a more limited firing arc?
If so, if there is not enough practical room to have the .50 calibers to be opposite of each other on either side of the tub, then perhaps one can be a bit more forward compared to the other. If they cannot be 'removed', then have them aim fore/aft, and either swing down to the inner side of the 'tub' or just move 'into' the conning tower, which might also work if not look odd.

On a related note, any way to adjust the speed of animations, to have gun move 'out of sight' at a very quick speed? Or are they basically 'slaved' to something with a fixed movement speed?

Any decisions if you might add AA turrets on the fore/aft top of the conning tower, like the German Type XXI U-Boats have?
If so, could have the barrels 'retract' when the sub dives. Could have either dual 20mm, dual 40mm, or perhaps something else, like a dual pair of over/under 20mm (basically a smaller version of the AA gun barrel setup of the Kraken AA gun, but the pairs closer together), quad .50 cal, 20mm gatling gun, dual .50 cal gatling guns, or some such stuff. Basically, anything that should hopefully be good for causing enemy pilots to reconsider being anywhere near the Interceptor sub.
The conning tower AA turrets could be the main AA guns, with the others such as pedestal mounted .50 cals being AI controlled.

Run Silent, Run Deep, Run them Ragged, Let The Prey Not Sleep.
rditto48801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 01:35 PM   #19
Silverwolf
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rditto48801 View Post
If you can't figure out how to make the guns 'vanish' to represent them being removed, then maybe some simple movement of the gun would work?
It might look odd, but for the pintle mounted ones, maybe just have the guns 'move down' and out of sight into the conning tower?

Any chances of mounting 50. cal guns on the 'sides'/walls of the 'tub', for use as secondary (AI controlled) firepower with a more limited firing arc?
If so, if there is not enough practical room to have the .50 calibers to be opposite of each other on either side of the tub, then perhaps one can be a bit more forward compared to the other. If they cannot be 'removed', then have them aim fore/aft, and either swing down to the inner side of the 'tub' or just move 'into' the conning tower, which might also work if not look odd.

On a related note, any way to adjust the speed of animations, to have gun move 'out of sight' at a very quick speed? Or are they basically 'slaved' to something with a fixed movement speed?

Any decisions if you might add AA turrets on the fore/aft top of the conning tower, like the German Type XXI U-Boats have?
If so, could have the barrels 'retract' when the sub dives. Could have either dual 20mm, dual 40mm, or perhaps something else, like a dual pair of over/under 20mm (basically a smaller version of the AA gun barrel setup of the Kraken AA gun, but the pairs closer together), quad .50 cal, 20mm gatling gun, dual .50 cal gatling guns, or some such stuff. Basically, anything that should hopefully be good for causing enemy pilots to reconsider being anywhere near the Interceptor sub.
The conning tower AA turrets could be the main AA guns, with the others such as pedestal mounted .50 cals being AI controlled.

I think I know of a way to do it, if all else fails I will animate them. It is fairly easy to do and yes I can adjust the time so that they quickly disappear from the deck. I don't plan on adding anymore guns than I already have for the sub. She's not supposed to be a powerhouse like the Titan.

------------------------------------
Here's some renders of the sub, she's almost fully modeled.

Rear Tubes

New AA guns

Caterpillar Drive front opening and Torpedo Tubes.

Caterpillar Drive compared to in game person.

Old 05-01-10, 01:08 AM   #20
rditto48801
Mate

Downloads: 27

It looks good so far for the most part.

Are the torpedo tubes going to remain partly 'external' looking in the final version, or are they going to basically be like other subs and be more internal with a cover over them that is flush with the hull when it is closed?
If they are going to remain sticking out, I might suggest making the forward ones have a less step of an angle on the front sides, so they don't look like they will induce as much drag.

The housing for the deck guns is not quite what I had in mind, but it looks like it should still work very well.
Especially when the enemy goes from "Ha! Sub rising to surface with no guns!" to "WTH she has triple guns oh fudge!"

To me, the caterpillar intakes seem a little small/shallow compared to the rear thrust part. Would it be possible to 'deepen' the intakes a little bit? Maybe at least 50-100% deeper than it is presently?
IIRC, in the movie Hunt for Red October, the Red October had the intakes have roughly the same 'size' as the exit points at the rear of the system. (probably so there is no real change in water pressure between going in and going out? Been years since I have seen the movie, so I don't recall finer details)

Have you made any final decisions on the exact type and number of guns and AA guns it will have?

I am little lost on one bit. (I might have missed something in the thread)
Is it going to use the props on the surface and the caterpillar when submerged, or will the caterpillar only be used under certain conditions.

Run Silent, Run Deep, Run them Ragged, Let The Prey Not Sleep.
rditto48801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-10, 12:34 PM   #21
Silverwolf
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rditto48801 View Post
It looks good so far for the most part.

Are the torpedo tubes going to remain partly 'external' looking in the final version, or are they going to basically be like other subs and be more internal with a cover over them that is flush with the hull when it is closed?
If they are going to remain sticking out, I might suggest making the forward ones have a less step of an angle on the front sides, so they don't look like they will induce as much drag.

The housing for the deck guns is not quite what I had in mind, but it looks like it should still work very well.
Especially when the enemy goes from "Ha! Sub rising to surface with no guns!" to "WTH she has triple guns oh fudge!"

To me, the caterpillar intakes seem a little small/shallow compared to the rear thrust part. Would it be possible to 'deepen' the intakes a little bit? Maybe at least 50-100% deeper than it is presently?
IIRC, in the movie Hunt for Red October, the Red October had the intakes have roughly the same 'size' as the exit points at the rear of the system. (probably so there is no real change in water pressure between going in and going out? Been years since I have seen the movie, so I don't recall finer details)

Have you made any final decisions on the exact type and number of guns and AA guns it will have?

I am little lost on one bit. (I might have missed something in the thread)
Is it going to use the props on the surface and the caterpillar when submerged, or will the caterpillar only be used under certain conditions.

The front tubes will retract into the hull, the rear tubes are going to remain partially exposed.

I fixed the caterpillar drive openings so they are deeper, and the caterpillar drive is for use only while submerged.

There are two 40mm tri-barrel AA guns, which sit behind the conning tower, you also have the two browning machine guns that sit on top of the tower.

Last edited by Silverwolf; 05-05-10 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 11:18 AM   #22
Silverwolf
Officer

Does anyone know what could cause this?
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w.../problem-1.jpg

Here are my settings in 3ds
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...axsettings.jpg

I've tried numerous exports and remapping of the UV. Nothing seems to fix the problem and I don't know what's causing it. I thought it was just an s3d thing but it appears that way in game as well. This hasn't happened with any of my other subs so I'm really not sure what's going on here. It has to have something to do with the .dds file I've tried numerous settings as well and nothing seems to work.

So any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-21-10, 09:22 PM   #23
Dr.Silversides
Watch

Downloads: 15

god, this thing looks sweet....what would really be cool would be to have specialized missions or something for this boat, that are modeled around the specialties and advantages of this particular boat; granted I guess we can always try to do those ourselves
"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out, yet I keep them because...In spite of everything, I still believe that people are truly good at heart"-Anne Frank
Dr.Silversides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 06:47 PM   #24
Silverwolf
Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Silversides View Post
god, this thing looks sweet....what would really be cool would be to have specialized missions or something for this boat, that are modeled around the specialties and advantages of this particular boat; granted I guess we can always try to do those ourselves
I've never been good at making missions with the mission editor. I've only had one or two missions that actually worked but they were made for testing purposes only.

Here's a big update for the sub.

I'm working on the flag seeing if I can get the word to appear correctly on both sides. What I've got now is ok but it still needs work.

Last edited by Silverwolf; 05-23-10 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 06:54 PM   #25
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

That, looks very good silverwolf.
Old 05-24-10, 12:44 AM   #26
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

nice work ! I like it already

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10, 05:16 PM   #27
Alert 1
Watch

Downloads: 196
Default Interceptor

Oh how I want this sub Drooling
Alert 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-10, 02:46 PM   #28
Silverwolf
Officer

Another update for the sub. I made a different hull texture for late war. I'm thinking of making it darker though. Also I did manage to get the flag to work but not the way I wanted it. It's basically two flags spaced very close to each other on the pole then I took the texture and mirrored the words. I wanted to make the flag all one model but after trying it once and having to export 99 frames then having it fail, it really wasn't worth the importing and exporting.

So here's what I'm going to do release wise with the sub. I'll release the sub as is after I make some small tweaks to the config files. Then I'll start working on the interior and release that as a patch with any bug fixes that need to be done.

*Edit*
Ok well it took me a little quicker than I thought to get a darker color that I think looks pretty good. The tower is a little darker in the screen shot but I blame the compression and such of photobucket, because it is lighter in game.

Last edited by Silverwolf; 05-31-10 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-31-10, 09:17 PM   #29
haozhibof1
Seaman

Downloads: 11

Great work!
maybe I will suggest moving the flag a bit forward
haozhibof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 12:58 PM   #30
Alert 1
Watch