SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-16, 04:21 PM   #1
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

Default The Marriage of Microsoft and Linux

Wim Coekaerts, corporate VP of Microsoft Enterprise Open Source Group, came to LinuxCon preaching enable, integrate, release, and contribute instead of embrace, extend, and extinguish.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-mar...inkId=27997694

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-16, 05:42 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Good riddance from here right into hell, Sir. I did not take all this Linux testing, installing, buying onto me just to see how Microsoft now infiltrates, infests, erodes and sinks it, too. I did all this to never be touched by Microsoft again in my life. They are not about a better world, but about destroying a very unwanted rival, and potential risk to their treacherous ways. I hope the Linux community has its brains together and refuses this poisonous advertising by Microsoft. Microsofts vision for the future is not good and noble. Its Microsoft Above All and Everything, At All Costs.

If you accept an invitation to dance with the devil, expect a hot dance with him setting the pace.

Quote:
"A year ago I would not have considered working for Microsoft, but Microsoft has changed."
Oh yes, Sir, it has. Very. Customer-oriented, it later says? That had me laughing my dinner on my brandnew notebook screen. Maybe business big fish. Private users can hardly even grin about it anymore, not after the past 12-18 months.
Old 08-25-16, 06:28 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

There is no marriage. Microsoft and Linux are not equals at all. The Linux community hates everything Microsoft stands for and for very good reason. Microsoft drones can preach all they want but Microsoft's only mode of operation is, has been and will ever be embrace, extend, and extinguish.

They do not work for the computer user. They exploit the computer user. There is a place for some commercial aspects within the Linux umbrella. But Microsoft is not one that will be accepted.

We use Linux because it is an alternative to the evil empire. We will have no relations with a company which redefines close window buttons into "slime me with the malware which is Windows 10" button. We will have no relations with a company which several times a day invades our systems and resets our user preferences to allow our property to be invaded by malware. We will have no part of a company which believes that the primary purposes of an operating system are to serve you advertisements and harvest your personal information without your knowledge or consent.

Microsoft drones can attend Linux conferences and sing Kumbaya all they want and we will still reject them and all they stand for. Microsoft declared war on us long before we knew there was a war. We've fought them on our Windows machines for eighteen months and won. This war will end with Microsoft's dead body. Nobody will miss them.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 08:53 PM   #4
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Well one thing is for sure. MS is slowly killing it's own self.

But I've been told Mac is also doing the same to it's own self.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-16, 04:58 AM   #5
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Power always corrupts, you get so big you think you can get away with it and a lot of the time you do. Microsoft has well and truly damaged itself but if you don't follow these on going news items you will view Microsoft as the Bee's knee's and will not stand for mud slinging.

Until these folks wake up Microsoft is going to get away with it. Personally I like to see those responsible for their crimes thrown in prison.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 11:21 PM   #6
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I'm sure everyone has had issues with Microsoft at one point or another. The question I have is, can Linux work with the silent hunter series and other sims or do we have to accept the fact that we have to use windows ?
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-16, 11:48 PM   #7
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

The only reason I never went into Linux and for instance Ubuntu was that it takes way too much work for what I want with a computer.

Upgrading and adding programs to me was so damn difficult that I got rid of it quite quickly.

Not that I like Microsoft at all, but well. I prefer ease over hassle. Even though Microsoft does give people a lot of hassle. And since I am a trial and error guy I messed up a lot of versions of Windows. HAHAHAHAHA.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 01:35 AM   #8
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Well MS will not sink Linux/Unix because 98 percent of the net runs on Linux, it is only companies/corporations connected via that net and its Linux servers, that use MS (which also stands for multiple sklerosis, of course) in their LAN. WAN is almost entirely Linux.
Apple's proprietary OS/X is also based on Linux, just stolen and changed to a degree that you cannot use it for free.

The reason i have MS on my system is games. As soon as they offer a real range of sims for Linux... if MS continues with its XBox they will bury their own grave.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 03:09 AM   #9
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Has anyone of you heard about that ridiculous idea by the EU to tax hyperlinks ?

Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 04:05 AM   #10
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
Has anyone of you heard about that ridiculous idea by the EU to tax hyperlinks ?.
Why not? I have long since abandoned any hope for a government to make sense, be it taxes or politics.

France had a windows tax during the time of Napoleon, this is why most houses of the time have only windows to the backyard. Those with a front to the street were taxed.

In Germany you still pay taxes for Willliam 2nd's battle fleet, if you buy sparkling wine, in 2016.

During the airlift to help Berlin after WW2 in Gremany there was a tax introduced for paying that, declared as vehicle tax. This tax was already being paid with taxes on fuel before, but it was added and we still pay that.

I think the governments should not care about making sense at all any more when introducing taxes, no one blieves them anyway. Why not a soap bubble tax. Those who have it pay because they have, those who don't have it pay for it because they don't have it.
It's so easy.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-16, 04:56 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The two big problems with Linux, even Mint, are the software compatability thing, both in business and in private (games), which will not solve itself when people always just complain - but then again chose with their wallet to fiance Mcrosoft. Why should a company choose to develope for Linux if it sees people paying money for stuff done under Windows, and under Windows development can be had for a cheaper price and with less risk? The othe rreason ist that even an advanced GUI like Mint does not go all the way, but stops in the middle. You sooner or later run into the need to operate via Terminal - DOS, that is, so to speak, and that is so very backwardly and one thing it is not: intuitive and ergonomic. This is studying needed to be done, like you needed to study and learn DOS - 30 years ago. You need to be an expert under Linux as long as you do not have an administrator working for you. Much under Linux needs to be done via an interface of a standard that was used by us kids at school 35 years ago. In this regard, ergonomics, Linux is still quite primitive and Windows is superior. Linux is nice once all your system is tuned like you want it to be, then you can run your software via GUI. But beware if you need to do soething that is no on the daily card! Or set an option the GUI does not know of. You ask the wizards hen and copy-paste magical spells you do not understand.

To me, this is the biggest failure of the many Linux developers there are. So many different banches, so many different forks, when a team does not like the graphics of icons in one set they used for their fork or distribution, the immediately start to invent a new development strain and a new Linux branch. But none of them, not a single one, ever cared to develope a GUI systematically to the end so that you can tune your system and software options to your likings and handle system resources in a way that you do not need to leave the GUI.

This superioity of Windows is undenuiable, and total. Its a great failure of Linux that they develope so many branches - but not a single GUI consequently to the end.

And I think these two things are the major two things that keep people away fromLinux. Since 20 years. Does anyone elarnthe lesson from it, amongst Linux developers? Not really.

And mybe they want it like that, I learned that they are a very helpful, but also very elitist a circle at the forums. Extremely easy to trip their wires when saying something critical about Linux, even if it is true. Linux is holy, almost untouchable. I need these people, and many of them are very helpful, to make that clear - but I feel I abuse them by indeed leaving it only to factual problems and letting them solve them for me, not using any unnecessary word anymore. Got burnt several times the past 6 months.
I recommend, still, my way: use two systems, if yu are just an oridnary usual user with no need to run any special Windows-only special software. One no-updating Windows system for game laucnhing, and another with Linux Mint for EVERYTHING else.

I meanwhile learned that a VM is not an all-cures-in-one, it comes at its own risks for your system. Do ot underestimate what it means in security loss if you run a full Windows installation under Linux, even if it is a VM only. This Windows nevertheless exposes your system to the same risks a pure Windows mahcine would do. And at least you can distribute and spread Windows malware via your Linux system that way. If you exchnage data via for exmaple USB stick with another Windows system, or ar elinked in a network to Windows systems, the concerns are even greater.

Same goes for Wine. Running Wine under Linux is NOT recommended from a scurity point of view.

Keep things physically disconnected and separate from each other. What they need to consider regarding hygiencis in a hospital, is true for digital infections in the comouter world as well.

Maybe that is good. that there are so many kinds of Linuxes and so few users, are two reaosns why it is so safe an environment, at least safer than Windows, Chrome, Mac or Android.
Old 08-29-16, 07:47 AM   #12
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

I found this and thought it might be helpful to people using various versions on Linux and having to compromise using a multi boot format of Linux and windows to play their games.

This article suggests that you can play silent hunter with Linux Wine.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...rsion&iId=5618

HOWTO - Running Silent Hunter 3 with Wine

The game itself works, but some care must be taken during instalaltion in order to get it working correctly.
Note and disclaimer:
This has been tested only with Silent Hunter 3 - EMEA DVD edition - version 1.4b. Please contact me for your success regarding the US or the downlaod editions of this game.
First step: Install the game.
This is easy: push the DVD in and run "wine setup.exe". Install all the options including Directx9 video codecs and Acrobat Reader 7 (this one might be left out if you have space concerns). Installation will run swiftly and complete in a few minutes with no assle. I suggest not to install the GameShadow crap since you will not need it.
Run wineboot to reboot windows, but DO NOT RUN THE GAME YET!
Second step: Patch the game to 1.4b
Go to the Ubisoft Silent Hunter 3 homepage (see link in game description) and download the right patch for you. I have tested only the EMEA DVD 1.4b patch. The download is about 20MB and could take a while, but once you have it simply unzip and run it with wine. The patch will locate your installation and patch it to the latest (1.4b) version.
Run wineboot to reboot windows, but DO NOT RUN THE GAME YET!!
Third step: apply a NO-CD crack to the game
No, i am not suggesting to illegally play this game, nor i am suggesting to pursue any illegal or unethic behaviour. If this step is illegal in your country or if you believe it to be unethical, please stop here and forget about running Silent Hunter 3 under wine.
Unfortunately, Ubisoft has choosen a copy protection mechanism for their game that is NOT supported by wine at the moment. So, even if you own an original version of the game you must find, download and apply a NO-CD (or better NO-DVD in this case) patch. I am not giving you any direct link to any potential illegal stuff, unzip it and put all the enclosed files (some dlls and one exe) on the game directory replacing the original provided ones. I strongly suggest backing up the existing one first.
Last step: Now run the game!
Either run wine sh3.exe from the game directory or use the Start Menu shortcut, the loading screen might take some time, then the menu page will show up and... Good Luck!

Note: if "xrandr | grep 1024x" does not report 50.0 Hz as an option

(for example: " 1024x768 75.0 70.0 60.0 " )

you must fiddle with your X config until it does report 50 Hz, or apply this patch to get the game running.

Please report any success story for other editions than the EMEA DVD!

I hope you all find this helpful.
Old 08-29-16, 08:55 AM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
The only reason I never went into Linux and for instance Ubuntu was that it takes way too much work for what I want with a computer.

Upgrading and adding programs to me was so damn difficult that I got rid of it quite quickly.

Not that I like Microsoft at all, but well. I prefer ease over hassle. Even though Microsoft does give people a lot of hassle. And since I am a trial and error guy I messed up a lot of versions of Windows. HAHAHAHAHA.
Holy crap Ashikaga! It's a hassle to start up your machine, Update starts automatically, says "you have xx operating system updates and xx program updates" and you have a proceed button. When you push it, not only the operating sytem BUT EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM ON YOUR MACHINE is updated in the background while you proceed with whatever you want to do. Where's the "hassle?" Finding the freaking proceed button?

Adding programs. You have a single repository where just about every Linux program is vetted, certified virus free and completely updated. Start up one of many package managers, my favorite is Synaptic Package Manager, and you can find anything from the same place. And you are not restricted to repositories. If you want to download programs the risky Windows way by going to a website you are able to do that too.

If it's too much work to find a proceed button I suggest you use a cell phone. Oh yeah, Android is a derivative of Linux.

I picked up Linux by trial and terror too. It's great. Windows copied just enough from Linux that its operating system barely works in a kind of warped and perverted way. But the pure experience is way ahead of Windows.

Especially the easy way that Linux updates both operating system and every program on your machine with a single button push ("too much hassle!!!") is so far ahead of Windows that statements about too much hassle are ludicrous.
Old 08-29-16, 08:58 AM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I found this and thought it might be helpful to people using various versions on Linux and having to compromise using a multi boot format of Linux and windows to play their games.

This article suggests that you can play silent hunter with Linux Wine.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...rsion&iId=5618

HOWTO - Running Silent Hunter 3 with Wine

The game itself works, but some care must be taken during instalaltion in order to get it working correctly.
Note and disclaimer:
This has been tested only with Silent Hunter 3 - EMEA DVD edition - version 1.4b. Please contact me for your success regarding the US or the downlaod editions of this game.
First step: Install the game.
This is easy: push the DVD in and run "wine setup.exe". Install all the options including Directx9 video codecs and Acrobat Reader 7 (this one might be left out if you have space concerns). Installation will run swiftly and complete in a few minutes with no assle. I suggest not to install the GameShadow crap since you will not need it.
Run wineboot to reboot windows, but DO NOT RUN THE GAME YET!
Second step: Patch the game to 1.4b
Go to the Ubisoft Silent Hunter 3 homepage (see link in game description) and download the right patch for you. I have tested only the EMEA DVD 1.4b patch. The download is about 20MB and could take a while, but once you have it simply unzip and run it with wine. The patch will locate your installation and patch it to the latest (1.4b) version.
Third step: apply a NO-CD crack to the game
No, i am not suggesting to illegally play this game, nor i am suggesting to pursue any illegal or unethic behaviour. If this step is illegal in your country or if you believe it to be unethical, please stop here and forget about running Silent Hunter 3 under wine.
Unfortunately, Ubisoft has choosen a copy protection mechanism for their game that is NOT supported by wine at the moment. So, even if you own an original version of the game you must find, download and apply a NO-CD (or better NO-DVD in this case) patch. I am not giving you any direct link to any potential illegal stuff, unzip it and put all the enclosed files (some dlls and one exe) on the game directory replacing the original provided ones. I strongly suggest backing up the existing one first.
Last step: Now run the game!
Either run wine sh3.exe from the game directory or use the Start Menu shortcut, the loading screen might take some time, then the menu page will show up and... Good Luck!

Note: if "xrandr | grep 1024x" does not report 50.0 Hz as an option

(for example: " 1024x768 75.0 70.0 60.0 " )

you must fiddle with your X config until it does report 50 Hz, or apply this patch to get the game running.

Please report any success story for other editions than the EMEA DVD!

I hope you all find this helpful.
Old 08-29-16, 10:00 AM   #15
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

Thanks for posting the link. I wasn't sure if the SH series and Linux were compatible given how many issues others have had including myself with SH and later versions of windows.