SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-15, 02:46 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default some ideas about maintenance

It is definitely the best modern air and naval Sim today

There is something that bothers me a little and that's this maintenance

Don't know how to explain it so I tell it as a story seen from a players view

A player enter a scenario-in this scenario he click on a carrier and press F6, then he choose F18 and he see that two of them are maintenance and he know during this scenario-let say it's 2-3 days scenario these two F18 will be unavailable during the whole length of the scenario

Weill I'm not a programmer I don't know how to make stuff in a game.

Here is my idea

Let take the same player- He put the cursor on one of the two F18 and left/right click

A little pop-up comes up with some information, information like

This F18 have a damage/electrical/engine problem/etc
(Here I was thinking of a ingame generator-creating hundreds of different failure to a fighter jet) and in the end of this messages-estimated repair time-x or xx-hours.

After let say 8 hours the plane is changing from maintenance to moving to parking lot(or what is called)taking so and so many minutes-10 minutes later the text is change to-Ferry.

We continue with this player

He had sent a group of fighter jets in action and when these plane returned he notice 1, 2 or 3 plane has change information to maintenance
He click on one of these plane and get a information such as

"Damage on right wing from AAA-estimated repair time-x hour"

I hope you understood what I wrote

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 08-07-15 at 02:57 PM.
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-15, 11:56 PM   #2
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2

Hi,

That sounds definitely interesting, but I wonder how it would be enabled/disabled on a per-scenario basis so that players who don't want to get into this level of detail would not be overwhelmed. It's a tricky balance...
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 11:22 AM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn View Post
Hi,

That sounds definitely interesting, but I wonder how it would be enabled/disabled on a per-scenario basis so that players who don't want to get into this level of detail would not be overwhelmed. It's a tricky balance...
This didn't cross my mind.

Right now I'm playing Black Tiger V. Time to end scenario is about 5 days and 13 hours, On one of my carrier I have some F-18 Superhornet on maintenance.

I wonder if USN would let some F-18 just stand there for 5 days in a real war.

An extra idea

Let every plane who's on maintenance on game start have a "secret" countdown and when this countdown is down to zero-change the title to Ferry(when all the move have been done a.s.o) when this change to Ferry have been done I would guess a message to the player should be at hand

e.g plane 1 is ready for loadout, plane 2.. and so on.

If the countdown is more than the game length the plane(s) will of course not be available for action in this scenario.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-15, 06:37 AM   #4
strykerpsg
Loader

Downloads: 99

Laughing at this suggestion because I am playing the exact same scenario and count 17 aircraft in for maintenance and was thinking the same thing about a cyclic option. I understand it is most definitely a balancing act, but this scenario especially, is very long.....

Thanks for suggesting a great idea mapuc. I like the unknown countdown suggestion best. Perhaps coded into every model.....would make for true real world dynamics and appeal.
strykerpsg is offline   Reply With Quote