SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-10, 03:54 AM   #1
Tempest555
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 0
Default Tutorial 3 Rescueing Liberty Ship

I played around with the file but 2 things that is eluding me is how to get the German gun barges to defend themselves against the English PT Boats. When the barges get near the Liberty vessel they do fire-but nothing happens when I'm mixing it up with the barges with PT boats or even blasted by a FAIRMILE I stuck in the tutorial. I've edited the 'BattleBehavior' so many ways but the German vessels just steam along till sunk. Also the Blohm& Voss seaplanes never seem to take damage enough to crash. Does the tutorial file got something in it to keep them immune from destruction. I've changed vessels, weather, took out voice messages and text message etc. But getting the German to barges to defend themselves and knocking down the seaplanes eludes. I have saved a bombed damaged Liberty the MALLARD from sinking and getting it to the destination-but never brought down a plane to satisfy 'replused an air attack' objective. Any suggestions appreciated.

Oh yeah- this game needs a mission editor bad. Really wish it had one.
Tempest555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 07:47 AM   #2
timetraveller
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 1

Hi Tempest555,

Sorry, haven't messed much with the AI or scripted targeting. I'm sure it's possible, though.

Yup, wish it had a mission editor too. It would make placing units a whole lot easier. I think it will never happen at this point, at least from Akella. Wish I had unlimited time, I'd modify the mission editor I wrote for Pacific Storm for this game. It would be a perfect fit. I'm probably looking at a 3-4 month effort, though.

timetraveller
timetraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 11:50 PM   #3
Tempest555
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 166

Well I'm obsessed by it. I'll crack it some how. Some lines you can edit and some lines you can #-out other lines you just delete-bit of a puzzle palace.
I don't write software-just a weekend duffer.
Just to pass this on in case you don't know or anyone who lurks in here.
I did find how to add a vessel to my forces.
For example in 3rd English mission in the 1st Episode I added a TRIBAL class destroyer to my 2 MTB's in hunting down the German freighter accompanied by 2 E-Boats. So I commanded a DD and 2 PT's. Actually a Vosper, a Fairmile {swapped out the other Vosper with Notepad++} and and a TRIBAL DD.

First per instructions I found in this forum I made the TRIBAL a TorpedoBoat object type in it's def.xml file instead of a Destroyer as it's listed. Now you can interact with it.

Then in the 3rd mission file of the 1st Episode I changed the interactive focus from

interactive.focus.setDefaultWorldObjectCriterion ( lambda o: o in [ ETorpedoBoat1, ETorpedoBoat2 ] )

to

interactive.focus.setDefaultWorldObjectCriterion ( lambda o: o in [EDestroyer, ETorpedoBoat1, ETorpedoBoat2] )

EDestroyer is what the Navalobject name is for F6F Bedouin (i.e the TRIBAL class DD in that mission.)
that would be lines 314 AND line 365 or thereabouts if your using Notepad++

In the same file I can see an interactive.focus #-out but I didn't mess with that. I like to pick low hanging fruit first.

Totally changed the feel of the mission-not only tangled with the freighter and E-Boats I also shot up the island.

I #-out the Mission Time to. No 20 minute limit.

This really isn't a bad game-it's accessible-you need a bit of strategy and thinking in some episodes. Modding graphics, hex and additional missions and model objects can take it to another level. Kind of makes me mad -Akella had so much time to polish it. And I do play and enjoy HEAVILY COMMUNITY MODDED SH3 and 4, Dangerous Waters and enjoying the demos from Storm Eagle for large scale big unit action(pick those up next month).
There is so much potential here.

Like you I'm surprised what I could do by myself and using the search function in this forum to get me started and certain avenues I could avoid. i.e. modding objects or hex editing points of views.

Did I say it needs a mission editor?

I find out anything more I'll pass it on.

FWIW

Last edited by Tempest555; 07-20-10 at 12:31 AM.
Tempest555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 12:20 PM   #4
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 17

Tempest, have you found out more? As you certainly know the ME is out now, at least it should work with the Battlefront-issued PT. I have started working on a mission but without a manual there are obviously some details I am not getting right. How to make the game "find" the mission.....that's the question...
Leandros is offline   Reply With Quote