SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-17, 05:46 AM   #4321
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicheBach View Post
Cool . . . So just a random thing.
Kind of. It depends upon which boat you choose initially, as to which "flotilla" you get assigned to (and the promotion sequence), which determines if and when you get transferred (along with renown points). I think I drove around Australia a couple of times in TMO a few years back, trying to dock, and I had been transferred to Pearl Harbor... took me a bit to figure out the tilted anchor was up there. There might be a notification in the radio log also, but I can't remember... someone else would have to let us know.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 10:20 AM   #4322
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

I also did .. but my flag was more of the Rising Sun type

K

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 01:26 PM   #4323
propbeanie

OK fellers (and gals), when I was a younger lad, I used to build me plastic model planes and ships and tanks and the like. If one wasn't quite what I wanted, and another was somewhat similar, we might do what be used to call "kit-bash" the two models into something more "real"... Maybe even make our own decals. My, what fun... Now I can't see beyond the end of m' nose without the specs... Anyway, I "kit-bashed" me a couple mods together, and went into Osaka bay upon one of the keltos01 boats, a Jyunsen C, in fact... it was the First of January, 1942 it was, 0800 hours... sun was just barely up there though... anyway, I'm thinking that the Jap_HarborTraffic is going to definitely have to be split... I mean, it's not even four weeks in yet, and here's what we have over on the military side of Osaka Bay (Kobe):

Who needs wheels?...

Two hulls are better than one:

Will the real Mr. Smith please step forward?

Plenty of room below for a double hull too...

I was flying about on my free-camera magic carpet, and happened to hear the screeching and squaling sounds just below where I was, and almost didn't check it out, thinking that it was just a CV sitting in too shallow of water, but it wasn't only that...

So, to eliminate this for sure for certain, I'm going to get back to being serious about splitting that file into different segments with the rest of the layers, and eliminating more than one spawn per parking spot...

Old 03-23-17, 02:00 PM   #4324
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK fellers (and gals), when I was a younger lad, I used to build me plastic model planes and ships and tanks and the like. If one wasn't quite what I wanted, and another was somewhat similar, we might do what be used to call "kit-bash" the two models into something more "real"... Maybe even make our own decals. My, what fun... Now I can't see beyond the end of m' nose without the specs... Anyway, I "kit-bashed" me a couple mods together, and went into Osaka bay upon one of the keltos01 boats, a Jyunsen C, in fact... it was the First of January, 1942 it was, 0800 hours... sun was just barely up there though... anyway, I'm thinking that the Jap_HarborTraffic is going to definitely have to be split... I mean, it's not even four weeks in yet, and here's what we have over on the military side of Osaka Bay (Kobe):

Who needs wheels?...

Two hulls are better than one:

Will the real Mr. Smith please step forward?

Plenty of room below for a double hull too...

I was flying about on my free-camera magic carpet, and happened to hear the screeching and squaling sounds just below where I was, and almost didn't check it out, thinking that it was just a CV sitting in too shallow of water, but it wasn't only that...

So, to eliminate this for sure for certain, I'm going to get back to being serious about splitting that file into different segments with the rest of the layers, and eliminating more than one spawn per parking spot...
wow ! love the C3 story

Old 03-23-17, 03:54 PM   #4325
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default I hate to complain, but...

Just completed my sixth successful patrol, earning awards and upgrades. My GAR (SS-208) now has a 4" Deck Gun, a twin 20mm AA gun, a cut-down conning tower, and the Improved SD Air Search Radar. Yet on 8/31/1942 I cannot get a surface radar of any vintage - simply not offered. I was under the distinct impression that surface radar was available in early 1942.

Is this a date error of some kind on the GAR files? Frankly, I was also expecting a newer boat by now too.

All of my patrols have been out of Midway. Have I set my radar and new boat expectations too high? Perhaps I was spoiled by TMO 2.5.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 04:06 PM   #4326
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
radar

Hi I was wondering when you release the next Beta can you restore the Medal of Honor medal to the game I uploaded a pic of what it used to look like.

I also was wondering if you can make the Gold Periscope seen in the pic attached compatible with the next beta for fotrs it is not compatible with the new fotrs thanks.

Lt Commander Lare
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (86.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0167.jpg (80.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-23-17, 04:21 PM   #4327
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default points for damage?

Can you claim, as in RL, points for damaged ships ? I just damaged the New Mexico Battleship...

Keltos

Old 03-23-17, 07:19 PM   #4328
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Apparently hard-wired into the game is you get diddley-squat for damage. You can be one 20mm shell from sinking the target and it's as if you never shot at it. Sunk=renown. Damaged=nada
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-17, 07:31 PM   #4329
propbeanie

The only one with "the skills" on our team for that gold periscope would be CapnScurvy, who we've been loading down with just about every trouble we can find... but maybe he'll get to it, Lt commander lare. Just not right away. We've got him entirely too busy just with the "core" stuff... As for the Medal of Honor, I do believe the one that's in the game is the correct one, as done by CapnScurvy previously, though I haven't looked to be certain...

@ keltos01 - It might just be easier to meld the two together... We'd have to "share" the load screens though, unless we can come up with a different way of doing things... thinking, thinking - I smell smoke, like burnt insulation or sumpin...

Old 03-23-17, 11:53 PM   #4330
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

radar

No worries i
Know Capn Scurvy is busy when he has time no urgency at all.
Old 03-24-17, 08:33 AM   #4331
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

@ keltos01 - It might just be easier to meld the two together... We'd have to "share" the load screens though, unless we can come up with a different way of doing things... thinking, thinking - I smell smoke, like burnt insulation or sumpin...
Errrrm nono
Use the part of FOTRSU in CMN yes on the other hand

Old 03-24-17, 01:06 PM   #4332
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Just completed my sixth successful patrol, earning awards and upgrades. My GAR (SS-208) now has a 4" Deck Gun, a twin 20mm AA gun, a cut-down conning tower, and the Improved SD Air Search Radar. Yet on 8/31/1942 I cannot get a surface radar of any vintage - simply not offered. I was under the distinct impression that surface radar was available in early 1942.

Is this a date error of some kind on the GAR files? Frankly, I was also expecting a newer boat by now too.

All of my patrols have been out of Midway. Have I set my radar and new boat expectations too high? Perhaps I was spoiled by TMO 2.5.
No not too high. All subs should have the SJ Surface Search Radar installed on June 1, 1942...including the Gar. By October 1942 you should start seeing an offer to purchase the SJ-1 Improved Radar for 500 Renown. It will drop in price a few months later, then automatically be installed on all boats by June 1, 1943, replacing the original SJ.

I just finished looking at the Gar .sns (sensor) file....it should follow this very date sequence.

Can you tell me what "Modified Date:" the Submarine/NSS_Gar/NSS_Gar.sns and NSS_Gar.upc files are in your SH4 game? Have the FOTRS Ultimate v0.56 "Activated" through JSGME into your SH4 game.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-17, 02:32 PM   #4333
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post
Hi I was wondering when you release the next Beta can you restore the Medal of Honor medal to the game I uploaded a pic of what it used to look like.

I also was wondering if you can make the Gold Periscope seen in the pic attached compatible with the next beta for fotrs it is not compatible with the new fotrs thanks.

Lt Commander Lare
Guess it's a personal preference regarding the Medal of Honor. I personally don't believe the Medal of Honor has been, every will be, awarded for simply a tally of enemy killed. In the case of the Silent Hunter game.......Due to the shear number of ships sunk, or the amount of tonnage totaled? No, I don't think so. You would have to prove yourself to be more than just a good shot to receive the Medal of Honor.

That's why I took it out of the game, as I did the "Distinguished Service Medal". It has no place in being awarded to a submarine Captain. Its criteria for award is for "exceptionally meritorious service to the United States while serving in a duty or position of great responsibility". For one thing, a Captain of a sub doesn't fit "a position of great responsibility". The term "great responsibility" implies senior military responsibility, and the decoration is normally only bestowed to senior Navy flag officers. In other words, you better be working in Nimitz Staff as his "Chief coffee maker" to get the award.

=======

As far as the image you showed, I don't think it looks anything at all like an Attack Periscopes rubber eyepiece! More like looking out a port hole.

In reality, you're eye was pressed into this eyepiece to keep out light and ended up only about a half inch away from the lens....no room for seeing much of the surrounding area.

We try to make things as "Authentic" as possible.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-17, 08:36 PM   #4334
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

radar

I appreciate the authenticity but it would be nice to have as an optional Mod if u are willing to add it that would be awesome if not I totally understand.
Old 03-25-17, 07:11 AM   #4335
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post
I appreciate the authenticity but it would be nice to have as an optional Mod if u are willing to add it that would be awesome if not I totally understand.
That kind of preference stuff will come in with our later FOTRS Certified Plugin Mods. We will be opening up all kinds of realistic and unrealistic options on the principle that the player should be in charge of his game.

We will even open the doors for others to produce mods to our standards and receive certification. The rules will be somewhat strict and never implemented before, but once everyone gets on board they will see that the rules are incredibly liberating.

For now we have to remain in the role of previous modders: to make decisions that close the door to all possibilities except the ones we make. Some few talented individuals can modify the mod to suit their own tastes. When we're done EVERYBODY will be able to do that with the widest imaginable latitude.

In short, we're changing the way SH4 is played and the base mod is only the foundation of our ultimate, beautiful, evil and diabolical plan. Muahahahahahahaha!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote