SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-28-16, 06:31 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
I'm pulling the plug from the internet on the Win7 computers, and switching to Linux on a cheap laptop for internet related things
Yes, this is the proper thing to do (for everybody not desperately depending on Windows for running some Windows-only software).

Trying to keep up with the patchageddons of Windows, has become almost hopeless, me thinks. I passively scan Woody's blog still, and what they need to consider every day for their customer's systems that they maintain as, sounds like a nightmare to me. The situation has become hilarious. And I mean for all Windows versions.
Old 11-28-16, 08:27 PM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I can't even remember when exactly my Windows 7 installation froze during one of their now draconian updates and I was forced to push the reset button, scrambling some system files. Every time I think something like "I really need to fix my Windows to rip this CD, I discover something brilliant like Asunder, which I discovered today. Asunder absolutely outrips every piece of paid software out there with customization so precise and easy it boggles the mind.

It's typical of the open-source software on Linux. Gparted is the partition manager Partition Magic dreams of being when it grows up. Except Gparted is free and Partition Magic will never get there.

I mixed up a new version of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition today. 3.6 gigabytes of raw data, 1.2 GB compressed with 7zip. My 7zip files from Linux are significantly smaller than 7zip files from Windows. Silent Hunter 4/FOTRS Ultimate run like a scalded dog with WINE in Ubuntu. I think they run better than Windows did.

Really, Linux is absolutely ready for prime-time. Most people will switch and never even think about Windows again. It's that good.

A friend of mine had a laptop that was slow as molasses. He took it to me and I whipped out my Ubuntu Live CD. Put it in his optical disk slot and booted him up. In the text that streams before the GUI starts was text explaining that the CPU was overheating and was being throttled down. PROBLEM SOLVED and Linux wasn't even booted up yet! He was astounded and in a half hour his computer ran Linux.

It's getting so the answer to "What do I do when my Windows system...." is "Linux."
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-16, 02:23 AM   #18
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Icon8 It's a bloody FARCE!

I planned yesterday to download Kaspersky for my two pc's, so I got out my laptop after a while without having used it. I thought I'd better go to settings and request updates, since I'd be getting them anyway like it or not.

Now, nearly 24 hours later, the bloody thing's still downloading! How could I run my business if this were my only pc? It'd be no use scheduling updates for night-time, would it? So I can't put the laptop away anymore when I don't need it, because it's going to be paralysed for a whole night and a day the next time I start it up!
Old 11-29-16, 05:40 AM   #19
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Well, more than 24 hours later, I get a message that "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later".

So I presume NOTHING has been updated. Directed to "learn more" I find a screen telling me how "Windows just keeps getting better and better", but there simply aren't words to describe how completely my piss has been boiled by all this; I wanted to synchronise my two pc's so that they were at the same level before installing the Kaspersky software. Now I just have to go ahead with that anyway.

Also, my start button isn't working, and I read that somewhere that Windows updates would fix that... I'm just about to go check it, but I just know it won't have changed.
Old 11-29-16, 08:40 AM   #20
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

The kicker about Windows is, what if you are a corporation with a paltry million dollars worth of corporate secrets (that would be a small corporation). It might be recipes, it might be a formula for the electrolyte in a capacitor, it might be plans for future features for a television studio, the list is endless. Now this really IS information you absolutely need to keep private.

But Windows gathers up 2 unknown packets of information every single day and sends it off to Microsloth. Harmless, they say, they'll never do anything evil with that information. Maybe not. But your start button doesn't work. You can't evaluate updates any more for security problems--you must download them when your machine demands. You can't even schedule them.

And one thing you know for sure. Those Microsoft routines with rights to every file on your machine work without detection by any anti-virus or anti-spyware program on earth. Forget about Microsoft, all a criminal has to do is hook those routines and your machine is HIS machine. No anti-virus or anti-spyware program on earth can find him.

That was the main hazard of the infamous Sony rootkit, which by the way, cost Sony billions of dollars before that debacle was through. The fact that Sony's rootkit hid itself from your computer meant that any bad guy who wanted to could jump right into their hidey hole with them and be similarly undetectable. And they did.

Microsoft is making Sony, which met worldwide outrage and legal consequences, look like a boy scout troop. Nobody cares about Microsoft. "That's the way things work now. Get used to it" the sycophants scream in unison, reading from their cue cards, as we sound the alarm. "There is something serious wrong here."

Linux really is good enough now. You don't have to go along with the "way the world is now." You won't be crippled. You won't be inconvenienced, other than learning the alternate universe that is Linux. If you think learning is an inconvenience, that's evidence that you are old beyond your usefulness!
Old 11-29-16, 08:50 AM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

Eichhörnchen,

the updating for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 has been broken down by Microsoft, and it is known since month.

There can be some things done, however. Manually updating file by file from their new catalogue, but not using Windows Update. Installing certain additional KB things that help to speed up the process. Keeping a certain sequence of updates. At least this all helps for some people. But not for all, by far not.

I do not have that all in m y head, since I do not care for it, but you may want to read a bit here. http://www.askwoody.com/ There are many blog entries dealign with how to do it, you need to find them however, Start with scanning the headlines of the past months.

The question is whether you really want to invest all this much time. The better solution is to minimise the use of Windows and not udating it anymore at all, or even drop it completely. If you minimise its use only, do not use it for online stuff at all, just as a software launcher.

The cost versus gain ratio calculates differently for people. For me it obviously was no longer worth it one year ago. But it is your choice.
Old 11-29-16, 11:46 AM   #22
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Yes, thanks guys. I don't plan to worry about what updates I do or don't have (I'm sure I wouldn't understand what they were if someone handed me a list) just so long as I can get online to service my website when I want to, get my mail and come on here to annoy you lot.

Btw, the START button is working now, so some of it must've taken...
Old 11-29-16, 12:44 PM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Surfing, emailing: go Linux.

Website management: don't know. If you need software for that that only runs under Windows, well, then... But maybe there are Linux software alternatives serving for this purpose of maintaining own websites? Somebody knowing this stuff must answer this, I never did web-stuff.
Old 12-05-16, 12:57 AM   #24
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Yes, thanks guys. I don't plan to worry about what updates I do or don't have (I'm sure I wouldn't understand what they were if someone handed me a list) just so long as I can get online to service my website when I want to, get my mail and come on here to annoy you lot.

Btw, the START button is working now, so some of it must've taken...

By "service my website", do you mean to interface with the server? Or do you mean creating web pages for your website?

There are several programs to do both...

"Apache" is a web server for Linux that has been around for a long while, so there are plenty of programs available to do both interfacing, and creating web pages for said servers...

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 09:37 AM   #25
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Surfing, emailing: go Linux.

Website management: don't know. If you need software for that that only runs under Windows, well, then... But maybe there are Linux software alternatives serving for this purpose of maintaining own websites? Somebody knowing this stuff must answer this, I never did web-stuff.
Hey you stole my post!

Repeat after us: LINUX! It does what you need.

Apache is so good that the vast majority of web pages you visit every day are served not by anything Microsoft, but by Apache on Linux.