Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-09-07, 03:50 AM   #1
Marklaur
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default T-72 Balkins on Fire "optical sighting help"

Hi,
I noticed this forum while browsing the other subs Sim forums.

Over one year ago I purchased T-72 Balkins on Fire but soon uninstalled it because I could not work out how to use the gun sights. I tried posting on the Battle Front forums but they were of no use. the forum there died soon after the games release.

There are many different sighting scales in the various views and the manual does not give information on how many of them are just eye candy or mow many of them are acurately modeled.

While I have some sort of idea how the wedge type range finger works I found nothing ever fited into the "V" wedge at ranges that I could use. As for what I think are the machine gun range finders I have no idea on how they work.

My question is how do one get into these game with no prior knowledge of using the sights? I have tried to look up the web for the various tanks in the game to se if there is any information on the gun optics and how to use them but so far I have had no luck.

Can anyone point me to any resources on how to use these optic sights are used in he game, and any information on how many of the optical scales in the game are actually modelledand work.

Any help would be appreciated as I would like to reinstall the game one day, but only if I have a fair idea of what I am doing.

If there are any other tank games that are easier to get into first for training I would consider giving one a go. But not much in the way of tank sims are available in Australia. Is the original Steel Beasts available in download form from anywhere? I have heard it is easier to get into.

Cheers MarkL

Old 04-09-07, 03:46 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Steel Beasts Pro is available for regular purchase (125 dollars) from the developer's main page (SBP ressources sticky thread).
Old 04-09-07, 04:04 PM   #3
Marklaur
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Steel Beasts Pro is available for regular purchase (125 dollars) from the developer's main page (SBP ressources sticky thread).
I thought of Steel Beasts Pro, but it is very expenive to get from the main site and I would want to know if it will work 100% with VISTA first. I do not know of anyone in Australia who has it ether which is a shame.

Chers MarkL
Marklaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 04:21 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Check their main forum to learn about vista. Last knowledge I learned was that the sim runs smooth on vista, but the dongle needs some kind of treatment. A link to the dongle manufacturer's adress on Vista is linked in the sticky thread. you could also ask the SBP main forum about vista (use search-button first). There were I think two threads covering vista.

The price is like it is, and the sim is not available anywhere else (except via a geman reseller who is even slightly more expensive. Conpared to the background of the developer, and considering what you get in size and qulaity and onbgojng support, the sim may not have the price of a agme, nevertheless it is cheap.

It's just that it is no dedicated release for the game market, but a professional training tool.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110580

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88893

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=97188
Old 04-10-07, 03:08 AM   #5
Marklaur
Watch

Thanks for the links.
It is certinly one worth considering.

Cheers MarkL
Old 04-24-07, 03:56 PM   #6
trooperrob
Nub

Downloads: 12
Default Are you still trying to get into t72

Hi,I played this a while ago, and got somewhere with the gunnery. If you are still interested I can have a look back and talk to you again.Try a tutorial mission (or real).get to a point where you can measure the range to a known target on the map, then check the characteristics through the sights. It may give you a better idea.regardsrob
trooperrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-07, 11:02 PM   #7
Marklaur
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooperrob
Hi,I played this a while ago, and got somewhere with the gunnery. If you are still interested I can have a look back and talk to you again.Try a tutorial mission (or real).get to a point where you can measure the range to a known target on the map, then check the characteristics through the sights. It may give you a better idea.regardsrob
Thanks the reply,

Yes I still have it installed but have not tried to play it for a long while. I sort of gave up when I could not work out the various optics in the game. the problem was I could not get to the point where I could work out ranges and how to use them in the sim. The manual was not much use either.

Do you remembe how many of the actual gunnery scales are actually modeled? There seem to be both cannon and machine gun scales, and non really explained except the wedge range finder. I found that anything that fitted into the wedge was too small to uccurately use the wedge heights to assertain the range. But that may have been just me.

If you remember any tips please pass them on. It is a shame the game never really ended up with a following or user made missions etc.

Cheers MarkL
Old 04-29-07, 08:38 PM   #8
trooperrob
Nub

Downloads: 12
Default gunnery

quick guide to gunnery, apologies if too simple.
The range scales across the top are the ammo types.
turn on manual range entry ctrl-w, then use U and I to move the range line up and down.
The machine gun line doesn't move in the the t34.
Can you use the commander screen and designate the targets to the gunner? - T key.
If you are coming back to it, you may be forgetting the ctrl-W.
page up and down to check different views - T55 has night vision.
the manual does kinda explain (if you can find it after a layoff!)
does this help?
trooperrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 03:12 AM   #9
Marklaur
Watch

Thankas for the replyTrooperrob,

There are a few points that I did not pick up before that you have mentioned there.

I have just installed an other hard drive so I will reinstall it again soon and try out some of those tips. All myexra sceneries for FS2004 filled up the old drive.

Thanks again the the tips.

Cheers MarkL
Old 05-22-07, 06:06 PM   #10
Fercyful
Medic

Downloads: 97
hey!! finally after hours of searching I found it !!
(Iron Warriors = Balkans on Fire)

check page 19 and others...

http://storefront.steampowered.com/M...ors_Manual.pdf

I think with this we will can finally use the optics in manual way

cya!
Old 05-23-07, 02:48 AM   #11
Marklaur
Watch

Thanks for the link. This will be a big help.
Cheers MarkL
Old 05-23-07, 03:17 PM   #12
Fercyful
Medic

your welcome m8! glad it helps

ps: I try it last night and I notice that some of the optics of T72 are still missing (reference points 5 and 6 from page 20) from that manual BUT you can use them without problems, just check the letter of the type of munition you want to use and search for it at the left part of the zoomed optic and just use "U" and "I" for aim well... the manual explain all very well. sorry x the "english"
Old 05-24-07, 04:26 AM   #13
Marklaur
Watch

I just noticed your link to "Operation Flashpoint" I purchased the GOTY version a little while back and downloaded all the FFUR mods that I could find as a gather they are the most up to date mods. Tried to install them and nothng worked after that.

I should just reinstall the basic game and give it a go again, and leave out the mods this time. I remember Ghost Recon was dead easy to have as many mods as you wanted and easy to install ans activate as required.

Cheers MarkL
Old 05-24-07, 11:23 AM   #14
Fercyful
Medic

hi MarkL! oohh! yes, OF is my fav war game of all times
and FFUR is the best for it. Install a clean game and sure all will work fine. Is one of the best mods for sure! Thanks x check the site. I know is not updated and in spanish, in the past when I had more free time I use most of it building the site with big love for OF

Now I can`t stop playing with T-72 is fun finally use the optics Today I will print the mission editor manual and try to build some missions, please do you know a site for download some user missions for the game?

I already have the official mission pack installed but maybe you know other ones :hmm:

cya!
Old 05-25-07, 02:48 AM   #15
Marklaur
Watch

The only user missions that I know of are at the Battlefront site. Look in the T-72 sectio there is a used mission thread with links to the missions.

If you make any try to get them posted there.

Cheers MarkL