SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-16-15, 04:20 AM   #1
dingopython
Swabbie

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
Default newbie struggles part 2

(dont want to flood the forum with my questions , so i'll be regrouping them here , part 2 is on the comments)
grettings to you, amazings folks,

(go directly to BOLD typo for the actual problem)
here's a quick introduction to myself :
i'm a belgian 23 years old dude how never took any interest in ww2 ( i mean , in depth at least ) until recently, well thanks hearts of iron 3 , i learnt about technology avancement during de war , planes , tanks and of course subs ,
facsinated me so much i spend the last 2 years playing old school sims games ( il2-sturmovik anyone ? ) and reading a LOT about mostly german 36-45 weaponry.
now it's time for me to go deep in to subs sims, naturaly SH3 is where i ended up.
And ... BEST CHOICE EVER , i mean , i litteraly enjoy doing NOTHNG in this game , just floating around is amazing... how many others games can say that ?

So... 3 days of crashs, instaling uninstaling reinstaling ,start academy, playing the game like "whats up i'm on a U-Boot i have no idea whats going on",dying , finding how to "Dock at port" (really ? it is not intuitive at all!) , watch vids , start to test mods, and of courses reading this gem of a forum a LOT i finaly get the basics of how to play with GWX and Cmd.

So here what happend : configurated a profile ( 2nd flotila , 39 , assinged manualy grid AN68 ( seemed a good RP grid for a shakedown patrol in august 39 ),set rest time to 21 days , lauched the game, did not uprgrade my u-boot , directly went to mission, did a magnificent 125 hours patrols ( completed both patrol objectifs and the advice to do a 5days shakedown patrol ) then....get no reward , and worst , get assigned SAME GRID , and the date at start of 2nd patrol is .... the same i ended my patrol so 6 august.... very very frustrating ...

what did i do wrong ? i will restart a career and i wish to do exactly the same ( RP reasons ) but getting reward and resting for 21 days ...

thanks for your help in advance , hope i didn't butchered english , it's not my native language

Last edited by dingopython; 12-16-15 at 09:40 AM.
dingopython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 05:17 AM   #2
yasti
Sailor man

Downloads: 130

Are you going by the date on your calendar in the office, or that actual date after starting your second patrol? If you're setting dates in SH3 Commander, they don't appear properly in your office. You'll find that when you start the patrol it should be the 21 days you set.

In stock GWX you don't get any renown for patrolling the assigned grid or returning home, only for sinking ships

With the above being said, you can try doing the second patrol with the same assigned grid, but actually patrol somewhere else. Or set a random grid in SH3 commander. i think BF14 is good in early war off the top of my head
yasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 05:34 AM   #3
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Welcome to SubSim dingopython.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 05:34 AM   #4
dingopython
Swabbie

thanks a lot for the quick answer !

"in stock GWX" , so there is a sub mod allowing to get reward ? i would very like that, missions is important to me , i dont want to just run around sinking ship , i want a purpose ! and i want to be rewarded for this,
so let's formulate this otherwise : how can i submod the game so i get rewards for patroling ? and rewards for completing others things ? like docking , reporting convoys , etc...

so if i understand , if i manualy set a grid i will always have that grid for every patrol ? i tough it was only the first one ... i have to quit the game and change the grid every patrol ? if yes , when does it fit best ? after patrol but before next patrol i supose ?

Thanks again !
Old 12-16-15, 06:37 AM   #5
yasti
Sailor man

Downloads: 130

wreford-brown has a renown replacement mod for gwx that returns the reward for patrolling the grid

I'm not sure of the exact link for the standalone version but it is part of his SH3 commander mod pack which is worth using as a whole

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1873

I'm not 100% sure but setting a manual grid should only make the next patrol use the same again. After that i think it returns to the flotilla's set of random grids
yasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 09:30 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

dingopython!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 09:51 AM   #7
dingopython
Swabbie

sooo , now i start a game, 7nd flotilla , shoot down 1 little target ship and i'm attacked by a warship INSIDE the bay ... on august 3rd ....

naturaly , panicked , i order crash dive first , THEN ping the depth ... 12 metres ... too late to blow balasts i'm death...

anyway i very much like this game but it is sooo unstable , with the no upgrade thing at first patrol, the dates that doesnt shows and now when i go to new career , instead of having " ( 1939 ) " and " ( 2nd flotilla ) " put there by commander to remind you what to chose i have " ( 1939 ) ( 1939 )" and "( 2nd flotilla ) (7nd flotilla ) " , it's been 3 days and i'm feeling like i'll never be able to play more than a patrol without bugs or things that should'nt happens , or that should happens but did not ...

how can i play this game STABLE ? do i have to chose another uber-mod ?
or should i reinstall in a proper way my mods
( i did it with front-end and from there on i installed mods )

Last edited by dingopython; 12-16-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-16-15, 09:52 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 10:02 AM   #9
dingopython
Swabbie

I have also bought silent hunter 4 too , with uboot missions , tried it , prefered SH3 interface , but if it more stable I may as well go back there no ? is SH3 so much beter ? or it is just personal flavor ?

does silent hunter 4 monsun + enhancements can be compared to SH3 GWX ?
thanks again
Old 12-16-15, 10:20 AM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingopython View Post
sooo , now i start a game, 7nd flotilla , shoot down 1 little target ship and i'm attacked by a warship INSIDE the bay ... on august 3rd ....
Though GWX lets you start in August, the war doesn't actually start until September 1. Any ship you sink in August is neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingopython View Post
does silent hunter 4 monsun + enhancements can be compared to SH3 GWX ?
Not really. Both have their plusses and minuses. SH4 does have some extra goodies added, but I stick with GWX for the harbor stuff, like canal locks with working gates, cool bridges (which, to be fair, are a creation of LSH3), and dozens of ships everywhere. All of that could be put into SH4, but so far nobody has.
Old 12-16-15, 10:33 AM   #11
dingopython
Swabbie

thanks , but i wasn't attacked directly after i sunk the ship , i was attacked by a warship docked at the harbor nearly 24hours after i sunk the ship , and i understand that GWX encourage you to sink thoses ships ( by giving you more reknown at start if 7nd flotilla chosen ) so why would they do that if it mean you'll get attacked by every warship on the way back ?
Old 12-16-15, 11:43 AM   #12
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Default It's an "historical bug"

When you start a career from Königsberg in 7th Flotilla on the 1st of August '39, you must be careful to avoid any and all ships in Pillau and Königsberg for 24 hours after you sink the assigned target ships. The target ships are "neutral" (the war hasn't started yet), so every navy, including your own, considers you a "pirate" and will attack you on sight. Mill around smartly in the Bay for 24 hours and return to port after things have "cooled off" and you won't face a court martial or firing squad!

The information "yasti" provided is correct. Wreford-Brown's "combi-Modv7" for SH3 CDR will restore the renown you want and provide numerous other nice-to-have features as well.

When you end a Patrol, hand out the awards to your crew and exit the game...ignore the dates on the calendar in the office and DO NOT make any equipment upgrades. Then, before starting the next Patrol, use SH3 CDR to set the number of days you want to remain in port and the grid square you want to patrol. When you click the "Launch SH3" check-mark, those changes will be applied. Then you can apply equipment upgrades. BUT...equipment upgrades you apply may add additional days in port and if you had any hull damage during the previous patrol, that too will add days in port to make repairs. It takes a little "experimenting" (take notes) to find out how many days are added for upgrades and other changes.

It doesn't appear that you have any bugs or the game is "unstable"; it just takes some practice and getting use to the mechanics of how the thing works. Good luck, good hunting, sink 'em all!
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, patrol, rewards