SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-12, 11:25 PM   #3286
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Schutze View Post
Me virtual Kaleun, not programmer.
its ok just remember that you will eat or drink mod soup for life then.Speaking of mod soup,my SO was screaming contacts the whole patrol I just did.What was weird is that I would dive and there was nothing.Then when we did encounter a contact he would tell me merchant bearing 120 110 90 80....303.I did 3-360's before I realized something was way off.Now is this just mod soup or is it the games way of making me walk over to him and say let me in there idiot because you suck as a SO.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 02:43 AM   #3287
kranklys74
Seaman

Downloads: 145

Thank h.sie. This patch for the game pad is very close to realism. I attacked the ship in a storm and saw the complexity of the attack turbulent sea or ocean. The vessels are throwing waves and sail changing speeds. Torpedo attack is also strongly influenced by the waves. Attacking convoy ships during a storm it seems to me totally illogical. with one torpedo ship not sunk irrespective of the tonnage of the ship. This torpedo damage model is developed GWX.
---------------
In his native language, Esperanto and Russian forum post is prohibited. I am speaking English poorly and write even worse.
kranklys74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 11:30 AM   #3288
Victor Schutze
Chief

Downloads: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
its ok just remember that you will eat or drink mod soup for life then.Speaking of mod soup,my SO was screaming contacts the whole patrol I just did.What was weird is that I would dive and there was nothing.Then when we did encounter a contact he would tell me merchant bearing 120 110 90 80....303.I did 3-360's before I realized something was way off.Now is this just mod soup or is it the games way of making me walk over to him and say let me in there idiot because you suck as a SO.
Welcome to the "mod-soup-eater-club"!

Victor Schutze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 11:14 AM   #3289
kranklys74
Seaman

I started a new career. three North Atlantic convoy attack proved unsuccessful. All torpedoes has passed below the ship's keel. Good weather in the North Atlantic great rarity. It told me my brother who worked in the civil fleet.
Patch for the game very good I really liked it, but:

1. How to increase the likelihood of bad weather?
2. How to make the torpedo original model GWX 3?
Thanks sir H.sie
Old 03-30-12, 03:20 PM   #3290
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranklys74 View Post
1. How to increase the likelihood of bad weather?
2. How to make the torpedo original model GWX 3?
1.) Don´t activate the "Bad Weather Fix"!
2.) Don´t activate the "Torpedo Failure Fix"!

Both Fixe can you turn on/off with the OptionsSelector!

Best regards,
Magic
Old 03-30-12, 04:05 PM   #3291
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

that't exacty the way to go. thanks, magic.

by the way: i suggest to read the manual.
Old 03-30-12, 04:19 PM   #3292
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
by the way: i suggest to read the manual.
Yes, RTFM!
Old 03-30-12, 06:33 PM   #3293
kranklys74
Seaman

I am speeking Lithuanian, Esperanto and Russian.. English and need to learn :/ Thank you.
Old 04-01-12, 11:29 AM   #3294
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Hsie,was just watching 5 torps set at 4m depth and only one stayed there.The rest went DEEP and so I RTFM and found that you put failures to 25mdepth.Isn't this too harsh?Depth keeping issues should mean instead of the requested 4m you get 10 or something less severe.If its set to 10 then the games physics are taken into account since if the draft is 6 and you set for 7 magnetic you will miss.If the draft is 6 and you set for 5 impact and you get 10....you still have a chance to hit a boat behind it with a lower draft.Just asking.
Old 04-01-12, 01:56 PM   #3295
Olamagato
Torpedoman

Downloads: 72

Setting depth of 25 m is replaced simply a lack of explosion or premature explosion. The purpose of this setting is to eliminate the possibility of hits. If you had the average weather conditions, you have a > 75% chance of losing torpedoes. Just because you gave a small draft torpedoes.
The worse the weather and earlier years, the deeper you have to set the torpedoes in the game.
In the real war setting correctly the depth of the torpedo caused her escaping to the surface and then got a good chance of detonation due to the impact of waves on magnetic pistol. Therefore, the magnetic detonators were soldered in G7eT2 torpedoes. Then torpedo flowed across the surface, but not exploded before it started by impact pistol.
Olamagato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 03:07 PM   #3296
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamagato View Post
Setting depth of 25 m is replaced simply a lack of explosion or premature explosion. The purpose of this setting is to eliminate the possibility of hits. If you had the average weather conditions, you have a > 75% chance of losing torpedoes. Just because you gave a small draft torpedoes.
The worse the weather and earlier years, the deeper you have to set the torpedoes in the game.
In the real war setting correctly the depth of the torpedo caused her escaping to the surface and then got a good chance of detonation due to the impact of waves on magnetic pistol. Therefore, the magnetic detonators were soldered in G7eT2 torpedoes. Then torpedo flowed across the surface, but not exploded before it started by impact pistol.
Olamagato,great stuff and I love learning about this Sub warfare.Just wondering if this way is optimal since the game models dud torpedoes already.I mean if you set for magnetic 7m and the torp goes to 10 then thats penalty enough BUT it still ups the chance that a larger draft ship is on its course.
Old 04-01-12, 04:41 PM   #3297
Olamagato
Torpedoman

Damage model torpedo from H.Sie adds to the existing model. Unfortunately the only game code may cause the pistols does not work or premature detonation. It was not possible simulate these effects in the revised code sh3.exe. Damage model for SH3 does not imply any change in the depth of the torpedo. Torpedo set to the desired depth, always on it will (or at least for me).

Perhaps a better solution (and more consistent historically) would be set to a depth of defective torpedoes always to zero, then exposed to an original damage mechanism of the game and allowed a fired torpedo at a premature detonation or noticed by the enemy.
Old 04-01-12, 06:27 PM   #3298
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamagato View Post
Damage model torpedo from H.Sie adds to the existing model. Unfortunately the only game code may cause the pistols does not work or premature detonation. It was not possible simulate these effects in the revised code sh3.exe. Damage model for SH3 does not imply any change in the depth of the torpedo. Torpedo set to the desired depth, always on it will (or at least for me).

Perhaps a better solution (and more consistent historically) would be set to a depth of defective torpedoes always to zero, then exposed to an original damage mechanism of the game and allowed a fired torpedo at a premature detonation or noticed by the enemy.
Hehe I hope not to ruffle the mans feathers.So what we are talking about here is not the natural tendency to fail which Hsie mapped out better but instead the modeling of duds resulting from too shallow torpedo depth settings.So not only are the torpedoes even more junky in early war but we now have to deal with estimating how close to surface we can let em loose.Great stuff!!

If I have windspeed 15 then that means under 6m is good.Whats crazy is that so many of the small cruisers have such low drafts.Clemson class draft is 3.2......its immune to torpedoes in heavy seas unless your extremely lucky.
Old 04-02-12, 06:15 AM   #3299
Olamagato
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
If I have windspeed 15 then that means under 6m is good.Whats crazy is that so many of the small cruisers have such low drafts.
Clemson class draft is 3.2......its immune to torpedoes in heavy seas unless your extremely lucky.
Yes, you right.
I do not know if H.Sie modeled as the fix to omit the magnetic pistol defect when it is turned off in a torpedo.

From what I know, problems with the U-boat torpedoes the result of three reasons:
1) The lack of detonations after the torpedo hit the hull due to defects in the contact detonator.
2) Defective gyroscopic mechanism, which caused lower than expected immersion (torpedo sometimes flowed over the surface of the sea).
3) A premature detonation in a shallow submerged torpedoes or on the surface due to defects in the magnetic pistol.

In 1940, in case No. 1 there was no one simple solution.
In the case of No. 2 torpedo set for deeper immersion than it should.
In the case of No. 3 magnetic detonator switch off (even permanently).

With these solutions, the chance of attack failed because of problems with torpedoes was quite low.
Old 04-02-12, 09:00 AM   #3300
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50

That´s exactly what i read about the so called torpedo crisis of the german KM.

Point 1) and 3) are already simulated by SH3, i think that works correcly.

hsie´s Fix simulates problem #2) and adds a premature rate for impact pistols and another premature rate for the magnetics ON TOP of the already existing rate, so it´s a mixture. But i never read about a premature problem of the magnetics. Does anyone have such information?

Problem #2) resulted of long term diving phases, in which the pressure measuring of the depth keeping apparatus failed. That was btw. exactly the same problem the american torpedoes later had.

Tests then showed a depth offset of 1 to 3m, so Dönitz ordered his commanders always to set depth 2m lower than under normal circumstances. This didn´t work either, so magnetic pistol was forbidden short time after.
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote