Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 11-26-10, 04:12 AM   #1
Nyarlathotep
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Korea/Vietnam sims

Not aware of any relatively modern flight sims covering either the Korean or Vietnam wars.. Really interested in all those early jets & was wondering if anyone could recommend good titles along those lines. FWIW I am more interested in realism & historical accuracy than graphics (but I like those too!).

Thanks.
Nyarlathotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 05:10 AM   #2
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Only Wings over Vietnam comes to mind here. But it's not really a realistic simulation so I guess you wouldn't have much fun with it.
Old 11-26-10, 05:12 AM   #3
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

The only one I know about Korea is MiG Alley, which is not quite (at all) modern, but still a good game. There's supposed to be one being made on the SoW engine, but who knows when we'll hear anything about that.
Old 11-26-10, 04:50 PM   #4
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Free Falcon. It's set in Korea. It's realistic too. Yes it's free.

Thread here for download link

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177256

Objective accomplished

Edit: Just realized that you mean first Korean War. Well I don't know any but if second Korean war erupted Free Falcon would be it :-)
Until then it may not be historically accurate but nonetheless a realistic flying sim and fun too and I must add good looking.

And I'd like to second Wings over Vietnam. It's a lot of fun especially when heavily modded.
If the purpose is to get the feel of Korean era planes such as Mig-15/17/19 then I'd also suggest Wings over Israel. Heavily modded too will give a lot of fun and it's also a gorgeous game to look at well maybe except the terrain.

Last edited by Castout; 11-26-10 at 08:04 PM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 09:20 PM   #5
ShadowWolf Kell
Medic

Downloads: 123

Flight of the Intruder, by Spectrum Holobyte is the only realistic flight sim I can think of in the Vietnam era.

It was a combination job between SH and Rowan iirc. They also made Battle of Britain (WW2) and Mig Alley (Korean War.)

True, Falcon includes Korea but it's far more modernized. Still, dropping GBUs on Pongyang has it's benefits.
ShadowWolf Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 09:07 PM   #6
Nyarlathotep
Watch

Downloads: 0

Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into Wings over Vietnam - having played a lot of SH3/GWX I know how much mods can add to a game. The Wings over Israel also sounds interesting. It's surprising to me that there doesn't seem to be an F4 sim? Or better yet, a Vietnam-era sim with multiple flyable aircraft, considering how many different ones were active at the time and all the different missions they could have..

[edit] Ah, it looks like that's kind of what W/Vietnam is.. The article mentions a "vastly enhanced and rewritten version for the Vista platform called Strike Fighters 2:Vietnam" released last year. I'm going to look for some reviews on that, anyone familiar with it? The fact that it wasn't mentioned makes me suspect it's lacking.
Nyarlathotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 07:48 AM   #7
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

There are a few mods for IL-2 that cover Korea and IIRC some that add some Vietnam planes. But I can't talk about them here.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 01:13 PM   #8
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

Strike Fighters 2 is a fun game. I have SF2 Israel which covers the Middle east wars from 1949 to 1982 including the 56 Suez crisis, 67 six day war, 73 Yom kippur war, 82 Lebanon war; and SF2 Europe which covers fictional Cold War scenarios from mid 50s to mid 80s, all with appropriate planes from the period.

I do not have SF2 Vietnam, but have the original Wings over Vietnam. All of the SF sims are considered "lighter" sims, although the flight models, weapon effects, enemy ground/air AI, radar modelling are on par with what you would see in more hard core sims. The graphics, both planes, effects, terrain, weather, ships, sea are excellent, especially if you have Vista/Win 7 and a DX10 card. All of the plane's cockpits are nicely rendered with working and very legible instruments. WoV, just like all the other SF1/SF2 sims are designed around 60's jets and have a high immersion/fun factor.

On the downside, the Vietnam map is smaller than real size. The stock game does not feature air refueling. Not a problem for USN missions, but an immersion killer for USAF missions. The ATC/Awacs/carrier recovery is very basic compared to Falcon4/Jane's FA-18. The campaigns are random type missions as in IL-2. However, there is a large mod community and if you want to spend a bit more, there is a YAP website (check out SIMHQ) where modders have created a very detailed 'nam mission pack which includes simulated air-to-air refueling.

WoV/SF2 Vietnam is not perfect, but it is the only decent Vietnam flight simulation which currently exists.
Old 12-12-10, 11:28 AM   #9
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Janes used to have o Vietnam one, Janes fighters 97?, that had the Linebacker operation. You could also fly a mig-17 and 21? in free flight, but not in the campaign.

I'm definately ready for a good Korea sim, where you can fly for either side in a campaign. Vietnam would be cool too.
Old 12-12-10, 11:30 AM   #10
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Janes navy fighters 97:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane's_US_Navy_Fighters
Old 12-17-10, 08:14 PM   #11
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Wings over Vietnam is a good sim I fly it alot the anti aircraft fire is a bitch. Carrier ops are interesting.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 05:53 AM   #12
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
Wings over Vietnam is a good sim I fly it alot the anti aircraft fire is a bitch. Carrier ops are interesting.
The problem I have with that game (yes, game not sim) is that the "physics" are awful and since Nyarlathotep asked for something realistic....
Old 12-18-10, 07:54 AM   #13
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
The problem I have with that game (yes, game not sim) is that the "physics" are awful and since Nyarlathotep asked for something realistic....
Are we talking about the same game, the run off of [strike fighter] set the settings at normal.I thought physics were good, I know the graphics could be a little better but I'm on a older machine. I blended the Hud files from strike fighter to wings over vietnam too get rid of all that clutter on the screen with the extra radar in the top corner, waypoint junk and, infromation boxes. Question how do I get Free Falcon, I tried to download it got the run around.

Last edited by yubba; 12-18-10 at 08:06 AM.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 04:58 PM   #14
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

I don't know how accurate the flight model is in Strike Fighters, but I've always enjoyed flying in it. The only major gripe I have is that the AI is somewhat flaky. I cannot expect to keep my formation together if I have to make a sharp turn or zoom to a higher altitude; the squadron just breaks apart or ends up lagging behind. Other than that, though, it's a solid enough sim to have provided many hours of enjoyable stick time.
krashkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 07:32 PM   #15
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Believe me, the "physics" are crap. You can adjust your nose pitch to a desired position and then take your hands of the stick. The pitch will remain the same. Increase/decrease speed...the pitch will remain the same (usually it should change as your wings create more/less lift. In WoV the only thing that will change is you might gain/loose altitude at a certain pitch, but the aircraft will always fly perfectly stable in the same attitude, there is not even an option to trim the aircraft as it is simply unnecessary). Ground effect? No sir, not to be found. Controls getting "soft" when getting too slow and stiffening up when going fast? Nope (or at least I don't remember such thing happening).
If you want rather realistic flight physics you should try Il2. It has the most complex physics that I've seen so far (though I've got to say that I haven't tried a lot of other sims besides it, with the exception of WoV, so I can't comment on Free Falcon or Flight Simulator X etc.)