Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-15, 03:23 PM   #1
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Default update on CVN 78 construction

USS Ford CVN 78 is in the process of becoming the best CVN ever to sail the seas. I'll keep you informed the best I can.

Quote:
a major milestone on the aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) today as the ship’s crew moved aboard and ate its first meal prepared in the galley. The first-in-class carrier is in the final stages of construction and testing
The USN sure knows how to feed it's new crew: http://www.en.portnews.ru/news/204213/

Quote:
The ship’s Sponsor Susan Ford Bales helped serve a meal of prime rib, crab legs, shrimp, salmon and a 7-foot-long cake made to look like an aircraft carrier. The galley and associated messing areas were redesigned for Gerald R. Ford and future Ford-class carriers, offering a new layout that provides more space and greater efficiency for sailors as they prepare for meals.
The serving lines and messing areas are arranged to offer significant quality-of-life improvements compared to Nimitz-class carriers.
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 10:29 PM   #2
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

The ten or so "special" meals over a six year career always felt like "they" considered it pearls before swine. Of the services, I believe the USN treats it's enlisted the worst.
Old 09-04-15, 07:32 AM   #3
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Very Impressive vessel slated to replace the Iconic carrier U.S.S Enterprise which has the distinction of being the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier.

There are debates that are ongoing as to how viable carriers are in the 21 century in light of the growing sophistication of anti ship weapons and submarine technology.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-16, 10:18 AM   #4
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Maybe next year, uh? Looking forward to this being the best one yet and the first of her class too

I like this DOD buzz web site ...
http://www.dodbuzz.com/2016/07/25/na...craft-carrier/

Quote:
POSTED BY: BRENDAN MCGARRY JULY 25, 2016
The U.S. Navy still plans to receive its most expensive warship in November, but has acknowledged that date “may need to be revised” if additional testing issues surface, a spokeswoman said Monday.

A couple of weeks ago, the service said the new $13 billion Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier (CVN 78) would be delayed by two months to November due to “first of class” problems, without elaborating. The ship is already two years behind schedule and more than $2 billion over budget.

A Bloomberg News article last week by Tony Capaccio cited a June 28 memo from the Pentagon’s top weapons tester, J. Michael Gilmore, to its chief weapons buyer, Frank Kendall, that concluded the ship isn’t ready for combat operations because of problems with systems to launch and recover aircraft, defend against aircraft and missiles, and move bombs and munitions.

As a result, the delivery date may slip into 2017, CNN’s Zachary Cohen reported on Monday.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 09-28-16, 09:02 AM   #5
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default Update to CVN78

I worked at the Newport News Shipbuilding & drydock Co for several years after finishing high school. Theu seemed to lay me off in a Reduction in Force every 5 years or so then they'd hire me back in a month or 2.. Had enough of that and went elsewhere. Anyway, the NNS&DD has the distinction of being the only shipyard in the US wiith the facilities to build nuclear AC carriers, mostly due to the massive drydocks. The yard is now owned by another co and its name was changed to N Shipyard. It was a great place to work except for the low wages (and layoffs) but the feeling of being part of something big and important was hard to ignore. I worked on the USS Kennedy, several merchant ships, Missle Frigates and a Trident Sub in submarine nuclear design. Most of my time was working as a planner in the Nuclear Constr dept.
Man! Those carriers are HUGE! It was super easy to get lost and the distance between the arear where I was working and the pier was LONG! So we made a habit of going in early and staying til quiting time. The "new" guys were usually sent to the tool shack on the pier for blasting powder and a stud grinder as an initiation. ;-) We were a oretty tame bunch. The Big E will really be missed!
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-16, 02:48 PM   #6
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Update November 2016

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...craft-carrier/

Quote:
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — The Navy refers to its newest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, as “4.5 acres of sovereign U.S. territory.” The $12.9 billion warship — the first of the Navy’s next generation of aircraft carriers — is in the final stages of construction after cost overruns and a delay of more than one year.

This carrier and those that will follow, including the USS John F. Kennedy and the USS Enterprise, will replace the Nimitz-class carriers, which were first commissioned in 1975. Construction on the Ford started in 2009 and on the Kennedy in 2015. Construction is scheduled to start on the Enterprise in 2018, but that could be pushed back.

The Ford — sitting now at Newport News Shipbuilding, the giant Navy contractor in Virginia — will house about 2,600 sailors, 600 fewer than the Nimitz-class carriers. The Navy says that will save more than $4 billion over the ship’s 50-year lifespan. The air wing to support the Ford could add more personnel to the ship, which is designed to house more than 4,600 crew members.

The Navy had hoped to begin testing the Ford’s systems and equipment during sea trials this fall. But those tests and a delivery date have been delayed as work continues on some of the vessel’s new technology, such as its power generation system, aircraft landing equipment and advanced weapons elevators.
or achievement

Old 11-23-16, 05:27 PM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

If I remember correctly these new carrier will have the new catapult system installed. Something with electricity or was it more like maglev.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-16, 07:10 PM   #8
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

It's called (EMALS) Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch system:http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ton-cart-uss-/

Quote:
The U.S. Navy’s new Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) is so powerful that it can skip a 4-ton cart across the water like a pebble.
The new system, which uses technology similar to a rail gun, was tested in Newport News, Virginia, on Wednesday. A YouTube video uploaded by the U.S. Navy shows crewmembers of the USS Gerald Ford cheer as a test sled soars off the deck and into the ocean.
or achievement

Old 01-18-17, 12:30 PM   #9
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

http://thediplomat.com/2017/01/us-na...n-april-maybe/

US Navy to Receive New $13 Billion Aircraft Carrier in April (Maybe)

Quote:
The U.S. Navy has announced that the lead vessel of its new class of supercarriers, the nuclear-powered Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78), will likely be delivered in April.

According to a U.S. Navy statement from January 12, the ship’s schedule foresees an April 2017 delivery date, pending the results of sea trials. “Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78) is 99 percent overall complete with 93 percent of the test program complete (93 percent Hull, Mechanical & Electrical, 92 percent propulsion testing, and 93 percent electronics testing),” the statement reads.
or achievement

Old 04-06-17, 01:08 PM   #10
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

It won't be long now ... I bet the sailors down below can't even tell the difference of being pier side or at sea, due to being so big.

http://thediplomat.com/2017/04/us-na...sea-this-week/

Quote:
The U.S. Navy’s long-delayed nuclear-powered Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) will take to the sea for builder’s trials this week, the commander of U.S. Naval Systems Command, Vice Admiral Tom Moore, said on April 3, according to USNI News.

The carrier is slated to depart Huntington Ingalls Industries shipyard in Newport News, Virginia tomorrow, weather permitting. The USS Gerald R. Ford remains moored pier-side as of today.
or achievement

Old 04-07-17, 04:14 PM   #11
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

I was on the Midway back in the day and there was a two-lane bowling alley. Surprised the heck of me since I was not in the Navy, but the Captain wanted one, so he got one.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 11:41 PM   #12
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

The USS Ford is now all ours ... at 12.9 billion dollars I hope it's still under warranty.

Construction of the Ford was supposed to finish by September 2015. The $12.9 billion ship was initially supposed to cost $10.5 billion.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/navy-gets...154746036.html

Quote:
FOLK, Va. (AP) — The first of a new class of aircraft carriers has been officially delivered to the U.S. Navy after more than a year of delays, cost overruns and technological glitches that drew criticism from President Donald Trump.

The Navy said Thursday that the USS Gerald R. Ford will now go through various workups at sea before becoming operational in 2020. The Navy plans to build at least two more Ford-Class carriers, according to the Congressional Research Service.
or achievement

Old 07-22-17, 10:59 AM   #13
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

She's in the Navy now: https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/201...1761500647172/

July 21 (UPI) -- The U.S. Navy is commissioning the new aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford into service today at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia.

President Donald J. Trump will deliver the ceremony's principal address on Saturday's commissioning ceremony. A White House live stream will start at 10:10 a.m.

"The nation's going to be very proud of USS Gerald R. Ford,"

"This Saturday will be a huge day for our Navy and our nation. The new technology and war fighting capabilities that Ford brings will transform naval warfare, making us a more lethal Navy".
or achievement

Old 07-22-17, 12:02 PM   #14
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
She's in the Navy now: https://www.upi.com/Defense-News/201...1761500647172/

President Donald J. Trump will deliver the ceremony's principal address on Saturday's commissioning ceremony. A White House live stream will start at 10:10 a.m.
Trump should have walked up there and said I don't like the name lets rename her Enterprise, and don't ever let me catch you trying to name one "Donald J. Trump".
Old 07-29-17, 09:04 PM   #15
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Probably will be tested in a war someday ... glad it works

Quote:
The USS Gerald R. Ford, the Navy’s newest aircraft carrier, successfully launched and landed an aircraft with advanced digital, magnetic technolgy, which replaces the older steam-driven catapult system.

The succesful missions Friday came less than a week after President Trump commissioned the nearly $13 billion ship in Virginia.

"Today, USS Gerald R. Ford made history," said Adm. Phil Davidson, commander of the U.S. Fleet Forces. "Great work by the Ford team and all the engineers who have worked hard to get the ship ready for this milestone."

Trump suggested last spring that the Navy continue to use the steam-based catapult system to launch and snag aircraft on and off ships’ flight decks, amid the contiuned concerns about the cost to complete the USS Ford.

Prior to Friday’s missions, the new technology had been successfully tested ashore at Lakehurst, N.J., according to the Navy.

“This is the first shipboard recovery and launch of a fleet fixed wing aircraft,” said Capt. Rick McCormack, Ford’s commanding officer.

The aircraft used was A-18F Superhornet fighter jets, based at the naval base at Patuxent River, Md.
or achievement