SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-17-10, 01:04 AM   #31
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default ?

I have a 2002 xp professional 32 bit. The game freezes temporarily and is slow to load and exit. Will a patch help? If so, point the way please.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 05:35 AM   #32
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Have a look here http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=112556

And check post #14 and #15 in this thread...

But I doubt it will help you against the freeze... that sounds more like a hardware problem to me.
Unless you mean it only freezes for some seconds and then continues?

On the other hand there are no negative sideeffects when using the LAA-fix, so it wouldn't harm anything trying it.
How much RAM do you have?
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-10, 12:37 PM   #33
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
How much RAM do you have?
223 GB ( I think I looked in the right place.)
Old 12-17-10, 03:33 PM   #34
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default I installed the patch

I downloaded it to the SH4 main folder and ran it. I think I did it correctly. Let me know if I made a mistake.
Old 01-02-11, 01:54 PM   #35
JREX53
Frogman

Downloads: 353
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
223 GB ( I think I looked in the right place.)

The 223GB is probably the size of your hard drive not the amount of RAM you have. If you right click on "My Computer", on your desk top, and go down to properties. The box that comes up will show you how much RAM, random access memory, you have installed on your computer.

JREX53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 09:52 PM   #36
iLikeGry
Nub

Downloads: 4

Hi. I've just tried running it on Steam version of SH4 (with the U-boat add-on installed) but got "unknown version" error. Any suggestions?

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Thanks.
iLikeGry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 12:52 AM   #37
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Use link for patcher in post #32 instead...
Old 03-27-11, 05:11 PM   #38
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6
Possible answer to your problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeGry View Post
Hi. I've just tried running it on Steam version of SH4 (with the U-boat add-on installed) but got "unknown version" error. Any suggestions?

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Thanks.
I realize you are talking about SH4.exe, but here is a steam related problem to SH5.exe which may be why executables are a problem to change coming from Steam.

Excerpt from:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181433, post #1

"For Steam versions of the SH5.exe:
Unable to provide solution to Steam users. The steam sh5.exe uses a form of self-modifying code copy protection that 'unpacks' the code when the executable is run. This form isn't impossible to read and decipher it just takes longer and quite frankly the reward to time relationship isn't worth it for me (not to mention that I can't run the .exe since I don't own the steam version of the game - I own the boxed version of the game). Sorry all. This is one reason why I never buy Steam based games unless I have to."
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 09:27 AM   #39
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

I remember when this was first posted, but never really gave it any thought. That was until the other day. Strangely enough, since installing SH4 on my new Windows7 64 system I have been haveing some problems with occasional crashes. In campaign, I always crashed when nearing my home base during TC. I would then reload, lower the TC, and I would be able to complete the mission. Then the other day out of the blue, I decided to play a couple of the single missions. Now just to be clear, I had played a couple of the single missions, but not ones that had TF engagements.

Before I go any further let me say that I'm running several mods including RFB, and RSRD. OK, back to the point. I chose to play the last mission listed. USS Spadefish needs to engage a convoy including a carrier. I would make radar contact, make my approach, and then as I neared for the attack, CRASH!! This happened several times. OK I thought, mabey a FUBAR mission file. Let's try the USS Albacore mission. A large TF of CVs and BBs. The same results. This got me thinking. After playing several of the single missions with lesser numbers of ships, the common denominator of the crashing missions was large numbers of ships. In the case of the Spadefish mission, about 15 ships.

I then began to search these forums for possible answers, and there it was. After reading this thread it started to make sense. My campaigns were always to this point involving single merchants or small 3-4 ship convoys. My problem was the return to a busy harbor at TC. I never realized until the other day, that a problem existed. Anyway, I installed this patch, and successfully played the two problem missions without crashes. The only crashes were the depth charges above my head! I still find it strange that I would have these issues on a system with 6gigs of RAM, but so far, this patch has seemed to do the trick.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 11:51 AM   #40
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
Thought of making a really heavy mission with quadzillions of ships, but then it struck me! The OM Museum!
Always known as a "Not To Be Used!" option because of crash!

So loaded OM with all stuff and quite right - SH4 crashed.

Here's the Process Monitor screendump.
Note how the max. memory use do not exceed 1.65 GB! but it still crashes...

Now the LAA patched SH4 Process Monitor screendump:

Conclusion:
Reason for SH4 crashing in Museum, is because of the 2GB limitation. Using the LAA patch now allows for opening the museum.
Max. memory 2.21 GB for OM!

However, the sea is very strange.
Like high speed water flow... but of course, noone has ever seen it before...

Been running with the LAA patch for some 10 hours and have found no side effects, so I would say it's safe to use.
And if you would like to see the Museum, it's a must have!

/edit, note re. memory use.

Extra memory used for 9 to 23 ships = 1.40GB to 1.48 = 80MB
With Max memory = 1.65GB = crash, then we have 1.64GB-1.48GB = 160MB in real overhead.

Which is only twice of what required to meet 22 ships in the open ocean. No harbour, shallows, land etc.

All my installs now have the LAA patch. Imho it's a must have. Thanks for the hint, BubbleHead!

Core i7-930, 6GB, Win7 64-bit used in test.

Btw. Bubble, you should change the thread title to "[Solved] What does the 4 gig Patch do?"
It does nothing but good!
LAA patch is the same 4GbPatch? I have this in SH4; TMO with RSRDC OK, but OM, without museum. Glup!

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 02:35 PM   #41
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
LAA patch is the same 4GbPatch?
No, it's not. But the end result should be the same. Setting the Large Address Awareness-bit.
However I prefer the "original" work since this have some more features and may handle all kinds of programs... follow links in above posts.

OM Museum - Glup??
Can open it at any time. It do take some time due to the massive amount of ships and planes, but eventually it gets there...

Impossible to open without allowing SH4 to use more RAM than it's native 2GB (=1.6GB) address limit permits... as screendumps above shows.
Old 04-20-11, 03:08 PM   #42
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

There is a utility hosted here, just for the SH4exe. I also installed the LAA, and have used it for Il21946 with UP2.01, and BOBWOV with the 2.11 update and multiskin. It seems to have cured some random CTD's in both of them as well.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 09:33 PM   #43
Charlie901
XO

Downloads: 29

Tried to install this Patch to the SH4.exe and keep getting an Error that it can't patch due to the SH4.exe being an "Unknown" version...???

I have version 1.5 and am pointing the patch to the C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4... folder.

What could be the problem???
Charlie901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 11:44 PM   #44
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Use this generic patcher instead... http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112556
Old 03-02-12, 01:01 AM   #45
Klaus
Officer

Downloads: 614

do i need this patch if i have more of 4 GB of memory?
i have 8 GB RAM Win7/64 and don't wanna stress my system if isn't really necessary, thanks in advance
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote