Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-19, 01:00 PM   #1
promitheas
Watch

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Can't find SH5 on Ubisoft store

Hello all, I've again fallen under the spell of wanting to give this game a crack, and I've read that I shouldn't use the steam version as it has problems with some mods (which I will need to use, to make it playable). However, a google search and Ubisoft store search doesn't show the game. On the store, it only show II, III, and IV.

Where should I buy a non-steam version of the game, that I will be able to mod to playable, or if I am completely wrong about steam not being moddable, please do say so (it's on sale for 66% now making it 3.39 euro...tempting).

Thanks guys!

p.s. By making it playable, I mean just getting the game to work, but also getting some ridiculous immersion breaking bugs fixed, such as watch crew on deck while submerged for example
promitheas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 01:13 PM   #2
Mork_417
Lieutenant Commander

Downloads: 263

Ahoy Promitheas!

You can find it by visiting the Subsim Store here.

Then click on the Amazon link:

Then search for "Silent Hunter 5", and you are looking for the "Gold Edition".

Someone else here can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that is the best version to buy, plus you'll help support Subsim.com at the same time.
Old 03-23-19, 01:15 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by promitheas View Post
Hello all, I've again fallen under the spell of wanting to give this game a crack, and I've read that I shouldn't use the steam version as it has problems with some mods (which I will need to use, to make it playable). However, a google search and Ubisoft store search doesn't show the game. On the store, it only show II, III, and IV.

Where should I buy a non-steam version of the game, that I will be able to mod to playable, or if I am completely wrong about steam not being moddable, please do say so (it's on sale for 66% now making it 3.39 euro...tempting).

Thanks guys!

p.s. By making it playable, I mean just getting the game to work, but also getting some ridiculous immersion breaking bugs fixed, such as watch crew on deck while submerged for example
PROMITHEAS!AFTER A LONG SILENT RUN! THIS MAY HELP:>
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER
A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
If you are new to SH5 look > > HERE << STEAM is not compatible with the essential application TDW’s Generic File Patcher
Steam Conversion Installation Instructions for SH5 Updated Version
Highly Recommended SH5 > The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod > Includes Optional KSDCommander And Working Enigma M4 Machine

What sort of problem do you mean?
does it need cleaning?
Have you tried running it from the Dvd Directory rather than using Autorun?

Always Here To Help A Fellow 'Subber' | Need An Answer to A Question Just Send Me A PM
< YOUR FIRST STOP IN SOLUTIONS TO YOUR PROBLEM! PM THEBERBSTER.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 01:32 PM   #4
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork_417 View Post
Ahoy Promitheas!

You can find it by visiting the Subsim Store here.

Then click on the Amazon link:

Then search for "Silent Hunter 5", and you are looking for the "Gold Edition".

Someone else here can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that is the best version to buy, plus you'll help support Subsim.com at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
PROMITHEAS!AFTER A LONG SILENT RUN! THIS MAY HELP:> < YOUR FIRST STOP IN SOLUTIONS TO YOUR PROBLEM! PM THEBERBSTER.
In regards to Mork:
While helping subsim sounds great and I'd like to do that, in the meantime between posting the OP and now, I came across a tutorial video for WoS, which states that it can be used with steam. Doesn't WoS basically fix the game? If so, and if it will actually work, I think I might end up going that route.

Now for Aktungbby:
I don't actually own the steam version just yet, so converting from steam version to standalone isn't what I'm looking for. If I can simply buy the Gold Edition using the steps Mork mentioned, then that would be easier imo, but thanks for the help!

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll wait for more clarification on whether the Gold Edition is the right version before taking any further steps.

Edit: Forgot to link the video I found:

Check the description for what I was talking about

Edit 2: Further research confirms that I won't be able to buy off amazon, as the only listing under 35 pounds is the Gold Edition which is only available in the U.K. I think I will have to buy the steam version, and then try to decipher the instructions in this post:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=161

Last edited by promitheas; 03-23-19 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 01:54 AM   #5
Propnut17
Mate

Downloads: 68

Promitheas I am using the SH5 steam edition. My steam download came with SH5, bundled together with SH4 and SH3 installations that could be installed onto the PC as well. I have only installed SH5.

The initial SH5 steam installation (vanilla) is complete with all the latest SH5 patches so all you have to do is download TWoS to get the vanilla steam download to upgrade to a real working sub-simulation.

After my initial steam download and install what I did do was run through the opening SH5 sequence to the point where you can see the first vessel to target. At that point I shut down SH5 and re-booted the PC. Then it was a real painless installation of TWoS, following the step-by-step instructions which I printed out.

Hope this info helps you.
Propnut17 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-19, 05:00 AM   #6
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut17 View Post
Promitheas I am using the SH5 steam edition. My steam download came with SH5, bundled together with SH4 and SH3 installations that could be installed onto the PC as well. I have only installed SH5.

The initial SH5 steam installation (vanilla) is complete with all the latest SH5 patches so all you have to do is download TWoS to get the vanilla steam download to upgrade to a real working sub-simulation.

After my initial steam download and install what I did do was run through the opening SH5 sequence to the point where you can see the first vessel to target. At that point I shut down SH5 and re-booted the PC. Then it was a real painless installation of TWoS, following the step-by-step instructions which I printed out.

Thank you! I will definitely try this first, once I install the game! I'll be back here to confirm that this works for me or not.

Propnut, after downloading the Uplay portal and activating sh5 with the key steam gave me, I started the game up. It plays a movie (with horrible american accents - I wanted to hurl) and then it shows me a loading screen. Once that's done I'm at the main menu. Here is where I get confused. Should I have already quit the game? Or do I have to do something else?
Thanks again!

Last edited by promitheas; 03-24-19 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-28-19, 12:58 PM   #7
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 244

Promitheas

You only need to start a new campaign and when the mission starts you can exit the game and install TWOS

Michael
Old 03-31-19, 05:23 PM   #8
promitheas
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut17 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin-nl View Post
Promitheas

You only need to start a new campaign and when the mission starts you can exit the game and install TWOS

Michael
I have to confirm these two posts, though a bit overdue (I've been too preoccupied with learning the RAOBF and Attack disks and forgot about this thread )

For any future readers with this issue, the steam version works just fine so far. I installed, it patched automatically to 1.2, I started a new campaign, waited until the first ship was sighted, exit, installed TWoS and accepted the steam conversion tool provided in the wizard, and have been playing historical missions just fine since. Note that I have started a new campaign, but I had to abandon it because I simply couldn't sink any ships. I had no idea how to work the RAOBF to come up with a reliable solution, so I decided sod it, I'll go back to school and practice a bunch.

---
SH5 Steam version, TWoS, used the steam conversion tool.
SH3 Steam version, GWX Gold
Old 03-31-19, 05:57 PM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Since version 2.1.x, and for sure since version 2.2 of the megamod TWOS, the Steam version of SH5 will play fine as long as you install TWOS.
Without TWOS > SH5 will not be a functional game under Steam.
TWOS is highly configurable for the player's taste with the OFEV.

I dare to say (until I'm proven wrong) that this is true for other digital download providers of SH5 as well, without TWOS it will not be a functional game.

Lucky owners of the original Ubisoft DVD of SH5 have more freedom to install alternative mods, but TWOS beats them all IMO, and that's no mystery: TWOS includes already the most important mods ever done for this game.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-31-19 at 06:09 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote