SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-16, 09:10 PM   #1
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Default Plans underway to restore SS United States

Quote:
Crystal signs exclusive purchase option agreement to begin work on returning the historic vessel to service as the fastest cruise vessel in the world

NEW YORK, February 4, 2016 – Already in the midst of the most significant expansion in the company’s celebrated history, Crystal Cruises’ next step in expanding its award-winning fleet is truly an historic endeavor. Together with the SS United States Conservancy, Crystal today announced it will save “America’s flagship,” the SS United States, and embark on the enormous undertaking of bringing the ship into compliance with the latest standards, and returning her to oceangoing service. During the announcement, made at a press conference at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in New York City, Crystal also committed to covering all costs associated with preserving the ship while undertaking a technical feasibility study, which is expected to be completed by the end of 2016.
http://www.ssusc.org/category/news/

You know what they say, if it's too good to be true...

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 09:34 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

A little sanding and buffing. Maybe some varnish. It'll be just fine.

Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 03:53 AM   #3
limkol
XO

Downloads: 210

For an old girl, shes still got great lines. It would be tragic to lose her. Just the sight of her from the road is enough to take you back in time. Totally surreal.

Thanks for sharing the article and picture
limkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 06:05 AM   #4
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Love to see this happen though the concept are of her restored makes me sad. Gibbs would be pissed at what they did to his ship. However if they can restore her original power plant I would love her second maiden voyage(or is that only for ships that have been renamed?) to be her trying to break her own Blue Ribbon record.
Old 02-08-16, 06:49 AM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I thought someone was going to make a replica of the Titanic, I wonder what ever happened to that venture?

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 06:51 AM   #6
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

It would be great to see it restored. Thanks for sharing .
Commander Wallace is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 07:37 AM   #7
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I thought someone was going to make a replica of the Titanic, I wonder what ever happened to that venture?
Supposedly still on track but the guy who was financing it has run into some financial difficulties and the official website hasn't updated in two years so take from that what you will.

There is a non-sailing replica under construction for an amusement park in China though.

Until then, your best bet is to keep an eye on this project to recreate the whole ship in virtual form:
http://www.titanichg.com/
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 08:14 AM   #8
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Sling a few coats of 'blue death', 'red lead' and some 37038 black and she'll look like new.

Old 02-08-16, 08:59 AM   #9
U505995
Planesman

Downloads: 70

She'll need a lot of work, but I hope they make some progress soon.
U505995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 09:53 AM   #10
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I've always loved these old ocean liners and to be truthful, I had absolutely no idea she was still in existence; she looks like a huge apparition from the past floating there.
Old 02-08-16, 11:04 AM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default A thorough tour

Looks tough and $800 million is a lot of money. Warning: depressing:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 11:54 AM   #12
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
Still 100x more beautiful than the abominations of liners we have today,
who have no soul, nothing distinctive nor special, they are just floating hotel blocks.
Old 02-08-16, 11:57 AM   #13
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Looks tough and $800 million is a lot of money. Warning: depressing:

SP-SP-SPOOKY.

I'm guessing the superstructure is aluminium? Wonder too how much of the hull plate they would end having to replace once things got going. Too many unkowns IMO, cheaper to build a new boat.

Old 02-08-16, 12:55 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon8 on the true nature of con$ervancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
SP-SP-SPOOKY.

I'm guessing the superstructure is aluminium? Wonder too how much of the hull plate they would end having to replace once things got going. Too many unkowns IMO, cheaper to build a new boat.
Correct; which presented galvanizing problems to the hull. Furthermore, some engineering areas contain toxic PCBs. It is a common problem for ships of the period, but one that means the Environmental Protection Agency will take an interest. Frankly, being renovated for a maximum of 800 passengers against an original cost of $724 million (adjusted to today's dollars) just doesn't appear feasible to me; It was estimated that it would take one billion (USD) to put the United States back on the high seas.....Cruise companies are economically competitive and this vessel was built with the navy's wishes in mind as a troop ship with myriad compartment etc. Allegedly $600,000 has been raised. The great steam engines of her Blue Riband crossing record are long gone. EDIT: here's where the scheme falls apart for me:
Quote:
The Conservancy's grant specifies that the refit and restoration must be done in the Philadelphia Navy Yard for the benefit of the Philadelphia economy, regardless of her eventual mooring site; the Conservancy continues to negotiate with possible stakeholders in the New York area.
@ Nipplespanner: all the while, the USS Olympia, in the nearby Maritime Museum in Philly continues to 'soulfully' decay. A legendary vessel and ADM Dewey's flagship at the Battle of Manila Bay...someone in charge of the waterfront needs to straighten out their prioritie$(enlarges) The Olympia received multiple grants including(a mere) $169,850.00 from the National Park Service's Maritime Heritage Program to continue work on interim repairs of deteriorating hull plates and deck leaks. Between April and August 2015, Four 4-foot by 7-foot sections of the hull at the waterline were cleaned, scaled to bare metal, and treated with ceramic epoxy and new bottom paint. This was accomplished using a custom-made mobile surface-piercing cofferdam. Further work is planned for the Summer of 2016.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-08-16 at 02:04 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 01:39 PM   #15
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Still 100x more beautiful than the abominations of liners we have today,
who have no soul, nothing distinctive nor special, they are just floating hotel blocks.
Rgr that

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote