SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-08, 07:12 PM   #31
McHibbins
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 80
Uploads: 0

Interesting note : L.G.Buchheim didnt´t like it. He blame Petersen for the Party-scene at the Beginning of the film also for the Kpt´s permanent complaining about the Leadership.
Heinrich Lehman-Willenbrock surely wasn´t a Nazi but he never was so angry about the BdU and others like in that film.

Petersen´s statement later was, that he wanted to make an Anti-War-film and so he replaced Willenbrock with "Der Alte". This person was fiction.
Old 04-26-08, 08:09 PM   #32
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Hans Wolf
but how do you watch it, i watch it in german with english subtitles.
I set my TV to go to sleep after 60 minutes. I fast Forward to the scene that I remember watching the night before and press the PLAY button and go to sleep.

The next morning I awake, reach over to my partner, and realize I re-lived Pearl Harbor. I.E. blown to hell and back.

EVERY night. :p

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 08:57 PM   #33
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

English with english subtitles as I most often watch Das Boot while I am playing SH3
Old 04-26-08, 09:09 PM   #34
OneToughHerring
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Haven't yet gotten the long version, the 5 + hr version that is the best one but saw it from television a couple of times.

I do have some gripes with the film, not that they in any way shake the significant position this film has as the most worth while sub movie. For example the Tipperary song scene, for some reason I don't think the real German submariners were that keen about that song, to me it kinda sends a strange, mixed message. It's as if they were supposed to be real happy to sing that british song.

I guess it's really difficult to make a war film and to convey both the realism of war and at the same time give a sobering "war is hell" - type message. I guess the factual books manage to come closest to this. Das Boot IMO manages both and has a good cast, direction, etc. but it still leaves me with some minor gripes.
Old 04-26-08, 09:40 PM   #35
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHibbins
Interesting note : L.G.Buchheim didnt´t like it. He blame Petersen for the Party-scene at the Beginning of the film also for the Kpt´s permanent complaining about the Leadership.
Heinrich Lehman-Willenbrock surely wasn´t a Nazi but he never was so angry about the BdU and others like in that film.

Petersen´s statement later was, that he wanted to make an Anti-War-film and so he replaced Willenbrock with "Der Alte". This person was fiction.
But the party scene was in the book, and the main officers had no names in the book either. The captain was called 'Der Alte' in the book, so it couldn't have been Petersen's decision, but Bucheim's.

I've heard that some former u-boatmen said that the book was not real either. I've only heard that, never read it from a source, so I don't know if it's true.
Old 04-27-08, 05:30 AM   #36
Elmer Kosterman
A-ganger

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHibbins

But the party scene was in the book, and the main officers had no names in the book either. The captain was called 'Der Alte' in the book, so it couldn't have been Petersen's decision, but Bucheim's.

I've heard that some former u-boatmen said that the book was not real either. I've only heard that, never read it from a source, so I don't know if it's true.
I understand that Buchheim liked the movie, but found two things unrealistic. The first was the party scene in the boat (although he thought it well done). Second, if someone threw a greasy rag in an officer's face, they would have been court marshalled.
Elmer Kosterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 09:03 AM   #37
Kaptain Hans Wolf
A-ganger

Downloads: 0
Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
German, of course, with subtitles.

Which version do you have? The 2 1/2 hour movie version, the 3 1/2 hour director's cut, or the 5 hour uncut miniseries version?

I only watch the long one these days, about once a month.
cheers, i have the directors cut, the best version imo
U Boot Flotilla Wegener
3 patrols
48.291 tonnes sunk

"i do not know what weapons world war 3 will be fought with, but world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"
Kaptain Hans Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 12:25 PM   #38
von stauber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default german with english subtitles

have watched all three versions- the longest DVD minseries compilation is clearly the best- IMHO. it really gives you the feeling of all the emotions of sub life - from day after day of boredom to instantaneous spleen splitting fear !. The interactions between the crew characters is much more brought out in the long version- by the end you really get a feel for each character's emotions/demons/fears etc. and the ending is a true kick in the balls after the long ardous battle to survive Gilbraltor.
Old 04-27-08, 12:30 PM   #39
Kaptain Hans Wolf
A-ganger

Downloads: 0
Default .

wish i could get that mini series, sounds great
U Boot Flotilla Wegener
3 patrols
48.291 tonnes sunk

"i do not know what weapons world war 3 will be fought with, but world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"
Kaptain Hans Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 08:33 AM   #40
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3
I have the directors cut.
I watch it any way I want to, usually with beer.
Old 04-28-08, 12:06 PM   #41
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

I watch the 3 1/2hr version, german with english subtitles, turned up loud with the Buttkicker Gamer turned on, so I really feel the pound of the engines and the blast of the depth charges!

Also, a few beers are nearby for easy refreshment!

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 07:45 AM   #42
Lible
Mate

Downloads: 3

Plain' German when I watch it alone
With subs when I watch it with someone not good at German

I watch it ~3 times a year, because when I watch it more often I have every last scene frozen in my head and it's not interesting.
Lible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 09:09 PM   #43
JetSnake
Navy Dude

Downloads: 12

I watch it in my underwear with a german midget and a jar of lotion.
JetSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-08, 03:10 AM   #44
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSnake
I watch it in my underwear with a german midget and a jar of lotion.

What kind of lotion ? :hmm:

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 03:12 AM   #45
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

With big sub woofers and surround sound