Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-22-08, 01:52 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Space Shuttle Mission simulator?

Does anyone know this?

http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/

Tell us all about it!

Note that the main manual (~100 pages) can be downloaded and checked for free from their download section.
Old 07-22-08, 02:52 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

P.S. The HD-video trailer they offer is a pain to download (slow, rapidshare), but it is worth it and highly recommended. it is 10 minutes in length and shows breathtaking stuff.

P.S.S. the low-res video can be found and youtube:

Needless to say the Hd version looks better, and bigger.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-22-08 at 03:07 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 03:29 AM   #3
mcf1
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 10

It's looking great
I know another space simulator called "orbiter" and it's freeware.
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/
I downloaded a few months ago and was pretty cool for a freeware, but as I saw from the trailer you posted, I don't think that "orbiter" can match the "Space Shuttle Mission"
mcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 03:32 AM   #4
mcf1
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 10

Just found a video from "orbiter"
mcf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 03:48 AM   #5
DemonTraitor
Loader

Downloads: 0

OH WOW, this has got me excited. Used to love the shuttle sim on the Amiga - played it to bits... WOOHOO!!!!

I hope they make it as real - and more so than the Amiga one

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die"
DemonTraitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 04:05 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonTraitor
I hope they make it as real - and more so than the Amiga one

I lived by the impression that it already is released!?

I also want to draw attention to their review section. Press seems to have given the sim a very warm welcome.

http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=10ccc940e92010d2d57ca8a574a7ea d6&topic=286.0

Wowh: Gold star from avsim:

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0408/SSM/Shuttle.htm
Old 07-22-08, 04:17 AM   #7
DemonTraitor
Loader

It is yes - I originally gave it a quick scan

Got the demo now, so will give the ol' bird a test-drive

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die"
Old 07-22-08, 05:28 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Just had the demo running, no special things I did, just saw the start, and transiting to orbit, from within and external view, VC with plenty of MFDs in sight) and 2D panel views - with maxed details and desktop resolution 1280x1024, frames always were a blast on my old system (P4 3GHz, 2 GB RAM, AGP 7800GT, winXP).

Plenty of switches. Switches everyhwere. This really is a switchsimulator. After playing this you really know what a switch is, how it is handled, and what it does (flipping to the next position).

I consider to buy it once I figured out how their licensing system works. If reinstallation always needs a new licence from their website, it is a no-go for me. when I pay for it, I demand full control over the ability to reinstall it on my system as often as I want without depending on external services, companies still existing, or internet access.
Old 07-22-08, 07:55 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Okay, played around with the demo a bit more, and had a deeper look into the manual. It is quite some time since I had my last try ith Orbiter, but I would say that after the first two-hour-glance Space Shuttle Mission 2007 beats it hands top, if not outclassing it.

Youtube has plenty of videos. It seems they had a SSM2007 movie contest.

I emailed their support about the registration procedure. I let you know once they replied.
Old 07-22-08, 08:32 AM   #10
DemonTraitor
Loader

Dagnammit. I have to go out, and will not be back until Wednesday, so will not be able to go into orbit until then

Old 07-22-08, 04:24 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Considering the time difference, I had not received a reply after this day, although their service claims to answer all requests after some hours.

However I downloaded the main program, but not purchased it. After installaing it, I found that activation is done from within the game, you get a number, and that needs to be typed during purchase of the license. If you type the number wrong, the license you get does not work.

Conclusion: the number could represent a download count as well as an encryption of the hardware configuration you are using - I do not know, and they did not answer my according question. If it is the latter, you will need a new license every time you change a component of your system, or buy a new one. More precise: you need to refresh it, and depend on contacting them. If they have disappeared since the last time, or you lost your web access, you are screwed.

I also noticed that the purchase screen does not correctly calculate dollars into euros. If you pay in euros, you get overtaxed. they also do not say in advance that the ability to book a new license key if you loose the old one or need a new one for any reason, also gets you billed during purchase. the price is without VAT, which needs to be added to the more already more expensive euro-price, although by exchange rate in europe you should pay significantly less including VAT than in dollars excluding VAT. finally they leave it to the credit card company to tell you how much money inclduing the VAt you actually havbe transferred to them, for during the purchase screens nowhere the final total price gets shown to you ( I ran the purchase process as far as possible and just stopped short of activating it.)

That is the kind of business model I do not put my trust into, and that is the kind of customer service I do not reward, and that is the kind of purchase procedure where I cannot escape the impression that I getting tried to be talked into something.

You can't even register in their forum if you have not already bought the software - so that you cannot ask questions on the product or the activation and pourchase procedure in advance! Forum registration only from within the registered software running. not nice.

So I pass on this one, without regret. with FS2002 I had a bad experience with download software that had a limited number of activation processes only, and after that needed internet communication to get new licenses every time I reinstalled the system, and I know of people having problems with a weather tool back then whose maintenance was interrupted after some time by customers being demanded to pay a new full version for very dubious reasons - until the guy disappeared completely from the scene, leaving the customers alone. I do not encourage or support business models of download purchases where I do not get full control over the options when I reinstall the product, and how often , and on what kind of computer - without depending on future communication with the producing company.

the wrong Euro-Dollar-price calculation, the hiding of VAT even in the final bill screen (at least their credit card partner should be able to calculate the VATs for various places, since they collect the payments anyway), the forum denial, the questions not answered, the inability to put up an according question myself in their forum - trying to do business like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Youn want to know certain things before you buy - not finding out at your own risk afterwards.

Handle with care.