Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-19, 07:55 AM   #1
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Default Cannot uninstall dangerous waters

I amtrying to remove DW so I can reinstall. I get an error "an installation support file could not be installed - catastrophic failure" then it stops. Cannot go further. I tried reinstalling, uninstalling. Same message. Please help!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 03:57 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Which version of DW are you talking about? Old school CD, Strategy First download, or Steam? RA or LWAMI mod installed or just vanilla? Also, what OS are you running and how up-to-date is it?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 05:55 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Cd. I should give background. I was trying to uninstall a whole ago, and for some reason there were files still in my hard drive, so I removed them manual,y, and now I cannot uninstall at all!
Old 02-04-19, 06:28 PM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

i even tried purchasing on steam eventhough i have the disc, and it does not work!
Old 02-04-19, 06:43 PM   #5
bstanko6
Admiral

Obviously whatever file installs the game also uninstalls it. Can any tell me is there a way to manually install this game from start to finish? Maybe that would help?
Old 02-04-19, 08:08 PM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

We can't tell you much if we don't know what you're working with.

What operating system are you running and is it up to date?
Do you have any diagnostic or maint. programs installed like CCleaner?

If you're running a version of MS Windows, do you know how to run the Win Uninstall command?

Which version of DW are you trying to get rid of? If you have the install CD, what does it say on it? Where was DW installed to? What was the file path?
Old 02-04-19, 08:27 PM   #7
bstanko6
Admiral

CyberpowerPC amd-6300

Windows 10

And 580 graphics card

Plenty of ram

I have CC cleaner

It was installed in programs not the x

No DW files are in the program files but in the App manager, it is there with the uninstall button. I click it and get the error.

If I click the start icon in lower left corner and scroll down I see Sonalyst options to go to their website, and uninstall, clicking that gets same error.

Did not try uninstall command except as mentioned above.
Old 02-04-19, 09:20 PM   #8
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Most likely it is some problem installation in the registry. I have the same situation on winxp that it says that the program was never installed.

It does not prevent me from (to my knowledge) properly running it or RA updatind, but things like DW database Editor are running with some limitations and error stating that game has not been installed appears.

I had DW installed from DVD disk.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-19, 09:25 PM   #9
bstanko6
Admiral

See I can’t run it, I can’t even play on Steam now.
Old 02-04-19, 09:33 PM   #10
bstanko6
Admiral

I just don’t understand how this can prevent me from uninstalling items manually or through the disk or whatever from my computer. There has to be a way to remove these files completely.
Old 02-04-19, 11:18 PM   #11
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post

Windows 10

I have CC cleaner

OK, now we're getting somewhere. I had a feeling it might be related to Win10 but I didn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Like Polak2 mentioned, I'd be willing to bet this is related to your registry.

Win10 is a bit of a mixed bag with older software and games. Its very dependable/stable when it comes to running those games but it can be a little crabby if you as the operator try to mess with them. Win10 64 bit can be trickier than Win10 32 bit as well. Just as an example, I've had experiences with Win10 64 bit where I do some cfg file or bmp texture file edits and then come back the next day to find my edits are gone and the old files have re-appeared.
That's just the nature of the beast with Win10. It trusts the software more than the operator.

BTW, I'm trying to keep my comments generic so they can also help other folks who have similar problems.

Anyway, my first suggestion would be to review how to remove software in Win10. Go to Google or your search engine and search "Remove program in Windows 10 64 bit" or 32 bit. You can try the same search on YouTube as well. Its been my experience in Win10 64 bit to remove a program by using using Win10's add/remove command first then manually delete any remaining folders and files later.

Some minor things may have changed between older versions of Windows and Win10. You should try to remove the program via Win10 (automatically using add/remove) and see what happens.

If enough of the program has been removed, try running CCleaner to fix the "half uninstalled" issue and defiantly run CCleaner's registry repair tool.
Old 02-04-19, 11:51 PM   #12
bstanko6
Admiral

ET2SN... I love you friend! Im buying you a beer. I got it fixed with CC cleaner! im installing as we speak!
Old 02-05-19, 12:45 AM   #13
bstanko6
Admiral

...and she is running and I am in command! Thanks to you!
Old 02-05-19, 03:37 AM   #14
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Thanks and cool beans.

FWIW, I'm not "down" on Win10. I'll gladly take the headaches of doing file maint. and edits in order to get the stability it adds.
Win10 can take a little while to get used to, especially if you switched to it from a much older version (my last PC ran Vista, so let's not go there..).

It seems to be a LOT more dependent on registry values than older versions of Windows. Meaning, its tougher to hack into program files. But, it CAN be done once you get used to how Win10 operates.