SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-14, 09:13 AM   #61
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Glad to be of assistance, I actually added to the post about 5 times over the weekend as I thought of more things!

Could you clarify the use of the deisel generators to recharge the batteries? In the name of experimentation, I shut down the turbines and scrammed the reactors, then tried running on battery power after turning off all non-essential systems. Despite having both generators thudding away at 80% throttle the battery drained faster than i could imagine, I had even deliberately slowed to 2 knots to minimise load. The battery only started recharging once I had got the nukes back online. On the first test, I made the mistake of running this test submerged, and it tickled me to see the air supply diminish and the last 4 crew members running round the boat looking for some air. They ended up hiding in the reactor antechamber, which was all well and good until I opened the reactor chamber door and hit them with a blast of radiation (~70sV/hr) from the damaged No.1 reactor! Mmwaaahaaahaaahaahaaa!

edit
Quote:
It's funny you mention using realistic panels, that's something I've been thinking about adding for a while. Maybe I'll introduce them as an optional feature soon too.
Optional schmoptional, if you implement them, I'm having them!

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 06:45 AM   #62
Andayle
Watch

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

This is fantastic

I only stumbled across this game yesterday, downloaded it at around 7pm. What I thought was around an hour later turned out to be a little more at 11pm :P

I'm a huge fan of the Dwarf Fortress format, combining this with a subsim is perfect gaming for me. One thing I did notice was that my sub would be very unreliable with its equipment. I had a major damage to both generators and also my torpedo room caught on fire and killed all the crew in it. This was before I even reached the mission area

I shall let a few of my friends know of this as they have very similar taste in games. Keep up the great work, this could well turn into something spectacular for us Dwarf Fortress type gamers
Andayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 07:09 AM   #63
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andayle View Post
I had a major damage to both generators and also my torpedo room caught on fire and killed all the crew in it. This was before I even reached the mission area.
A good way to combat this is, at the start of the mission, get your best torp room firefighter equipped with extinguisher and gloves, using the oxygen generator reduce the oxygen level to 17/18% instead of the usual 21%. This will stop the fire flaring up so fast, as is the standard procedure in real life. Lastly, be lucky! Hopefully an upcoming release will have a fire supression system modelled, so this should save on scorched sailors.

Old 03-06-14, 03:59 AM   #64
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andayle View Post
This is fantastic

I only stumbled across this game yesterday, downloaded it at around 7pm. What I thought was around an hour later turned out to be a little more at 11pm :P

I'm a huge fan of the Dwarf Fortress format, combining this with a subsim is perfect gaming for me. One thing I did notice was that my sub would be very unreliable with its equipment. I had a major damage to both generators and also my torpedo room caught on fire and killed all the crew in it. This was before I even reached the mission area

I shall let a few of my friends know of this as they have very similar taste in games. Keep up the great work, this could well turn into something spectacular for us Dwarf Fortress type gamers
Glad you like it! Sounds like we have similar tastes in games

If you want to change how often accidents/failures occur, open the "gameoptions.ini" file in the game folder and change the value for sub_reliability. If you make it much higher, say 1000, accidents will rarely occur. For a real challenge, make it zero and see how long you last!

I can confirm that the next version will include a fire suppression system, based on the LOKh ("Submarine Volumetric Chemical") system used on Russian and Indian submarines (and similar to those used on many other nations' subs). This is very useful, especially when torpedo room fires start getting out of control.

Also Tango thanks for pointing out the bug in battery usage - turns out the oxygen generator was using way too much power (even when switched off) and draining the battery in seconds. This will also be fixed in the next update.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 06:09 AM   #65
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

No probs, look forward to the next thrilling installment!

Old 03-09-14, 08:37 AM   #66
TheGeoff
Planesman

Version 0.19 Released!
Download here: http://goo.gl/7J74vm
  • Sound effects are now in the game! Sounds for alarms, fire, flooding, combat etc are included, others will likely be added in the future. Sounds can be disabled in gameoptions.ini.
  • Realistic control panels are also here! The bland text-only control descriptions have been replaced by detailed, realistic and fully functional control panels. Let me know what you think! You can chose between the new and old panels in gameoptions.ini. When using the new panels, hold F1 to view keyboard commands.
  • Volumetric chemical fire suppression system (LOKh) is now modelled - activate from the Misc. Systems control panel. It rapidly fills a compartment with freon gas, which absorbs heat from the fire and displaces oxygen. Make sure you do not activate the system in an occupied compartment!
  • More realistic ship naming conventions. Now military ships have the correct prefix - a US warship might be called USS Rustbucket, while an Australian one would be called HMAS Rustbucket for example.
  • You can now go to periscope depth (14m) by pressing LShift-P
  • More accurate diplomatic relations between countries
  • Minor graphical improvements (in addition to the control panels)
  • Numerous tweaks and balancing changes.
Old 03-09-14, 02:20 PM   #67
rooivalk
Swabbie

Downloads: 250

Excellent changes, really like the new sound effects and panels, will you be adding mouse control? and I noticed there are two depth gauges, not sure what the top one measures, sorry not a submariner so all new to me
rooivalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 11:13 PM   #68
TheGeoff
Planesman

Glad you like the changes. I probably will be adding mouse control for the switches, levers etc soon, the idea of a nuclear submarine with DCS-style clickable controls is very appealing

Maybe the depth gauges should be labelled better, they both display your depth but are on different scales. The top one shows 0-40m while the bottom one shows 0-400m - basically the top one allows you to more accurately measure and control your depth while near the surface.
Old 03-10-14, 12:38 AM   #69
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

It's been a while since I checked in with this project.

Coming along nicely! I like it.
Old 03-10-14, 05:08 AM   #70
rooivalk
Swabbie

Downloads: 250

Thank for the response, I see the scale now

Will you be adding SLBM,s ?

Really looking forward to the next vesrion
rooivalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-14, 11:43 AM   #71
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

This is great stuff! The new panels, fire defense and sound effects take this to another level!!

Old 03-11-14, 12:18 PM   #72
Thetube
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

I've really enjoyed this sim over the past couple of weeks, it's the kind of thing I grew up playing in the 80s/90s.

My only question being is there a way to repair items like the diesel generators without having them blow up and kill the guy trying to fix them? The torp fuel tanks do this as well although I can live without those.
Thetube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 12:02 AM   #73
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back

Welcome back to the surface after 6 years: Thetube!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-14, 05:32 AM   #74
TheGeoff
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooivalk View Post
Thank for the response, I see the scale now

Will you be adding SLBM,s ?

Really looking forward to the next vesrion
Yes, SLBMs will be added eventually. I plan to add more submarines in the future, including missile submarines (which will have both nuclear and conventional missiles).

Quote:
My only question being is there a way to repair items like the diesel generators without having them blow up and kill the guy trying to fix them? The torp fuel tanks do this as well although I can live without those.
The diesel generators should only explode if they are 1) on fire or 2) being run while damaged. But I think there's a bug at the moment causing them to explode more often than they should, including when they're not actually switched on... I'll look into it.
The torp fuel tanks explode if there is a major HTP leak, which is accelerated if the ventilation system in the tank fails. If you order a damage assessment you'll see the status of the ventilation system and the HTP tank - if the HTP tank is damaged, especially more than 50%, it's very risky to attempt repairs. If the HTP tank itself is not damaged there is no immediate risk of explosion and it's safe to attempt repairs (but if the ventilation system is not working, the HTP tank will take slowly damage and eventually fail).

The whole system definitely still needs tweaking balancing, some things happen way too quickly and others happen too slowly. I'm also considering giving more warning before things explode... maybe the object starts flashing and the crewman tries to run away, or something like that. At the moment it's a bit too easy to lose valuable crewmen to seemingly random explosions.
Old 03-12-14, 12:24 PM   #75
Thetube
Swabbie

Downloads: 10

The diesel generators also explode (whether running or not) if you are repairing them and the damage percentage gets to about 64 (counting down from 100). Unfortunately this kills the guys repairing them!
Thetube is offline   Reply With Quote