SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-20-09, 09:30 PM   #31
rcjonessnp175
Weps

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

I think the fog is spot on, i mean really fog in general isnt something you would see through anyways, plus reading through patrol logs guys always had the pea soup fog to were they would have to dive to do a sound check, but we all have different tastes maybe make two versions or something , but im completely happy as is quite realistic in my opinion.

Jonesy

The mother ship,Coolermaster HAF, I7 intel overclock 4ghz, , 6gb mem, 5870 crossfire, soundblaster Xfi titanium , Oh and 52 inch samsung 750 120hz. 7.1 onkyo 1200 wattss system
rcjonessnp175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 09:57 PM   #32
Vikinger
Captain

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
I think the fog is spot on, i mean really fog in general isnt something you would see through anyways, plus reading through patrol logs guys always had the pea soup fog to were they would have to dive to do a sound check, but we all have different tastes maybe make two versions or something , but im completely happy as is quite realistic in my opinion.

Jonesy
Well i do respect what you are saying but the game have 4 level of fog.

Non, Light, medium and heavy.

The 4 levels represent different conditions.

1. Non is obviously
2. Light is more like a hazy morning or day.
3. Medium is betwen hazy and foggy
4. Heavy is the real fog where you just wish to stay in captains bed.

As it is now it is either non or heavy. Problem is that there is light fog most of the time in the game and that means heavy fog.

But we have all different tastes, some like this heavy fog and find it challenge. But it drives me nuts

Perhaps a good way is to do what you say. Release 2 versions. 1 whit this new fog physics and 1 whit the former physics from the previous ENV version. If its possible to combine the files whit out they affect to many other things in this new release. ( That i really like)

But i let the modders decide what they wana do whit thier product
Old 03-20-09, 10:07 PM   #33
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

She looks amazing!

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 10:20 PM   #34
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Well, I have played with the FogDistance part of your mod, and where you have ZMin=0,001 , I have changed it to ZMin=0,1 for the time being.
This is to my understanding where the fog starts seen from the player unit. With ZMin=0,001 even parts of your own sub seems being in the fog. By setting it to ZMin=0,1 the starting point of fog was moved away from the boat. Exactly where this starting point should be, well that I will leave up to all of you.

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 10:46 PM   #35
rcjonessnp175
Weps

Downloads: 82

Have u guys seen the new storm waves holy cow, i literally thought my dinkie little sub was going to get swallowed up so dove to 150 ft to ride out the storm hahaha, awesome.

In retrospec the fog is as u say i played and little bit longer and noticed to that its impossible to see jack, and also the circle of visiblility is well visible. this is also true when ur in a clear day and shallows as the transparency shader kicks in and have another circlesh visible ring, no biggee as i dont play at 100 ft above my sub. all in all this is gorgeaus and thanks didnt know thier was alctually many stages to the fog thanks for the heads up. im watching this thing on my 52 incher in a uber storm it its sick great work

Jones

The mother ship,Coolermaster HAF, I7 intel overclock 4ghz, , 6gb mem, 5870 crossfire, soundblaster Xfi titanium , Oh and 52 inch samsung 750 120hz. 7.1 onkyo 1200 wattss system
rcjonessnp175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 10:54 PM   #36
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice one Vikinger

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 11:59 PM   #37
ancient46
Officer

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 1

A Little more Eye Candy. The USS Salmon (1942 black color scheme) on a clear calm day. The camera is at 1000 ft and the submarine is at 120 ft. I could still see it at 150 Ft but it doesn't show in a screen shot.

ancient46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 01:21 AM   #38
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I was in a storm and actually started feeling seasick...wow.

The more I play it the more I see......so far no problems with TMO1.7beta and DL order doesn't seem to matter.

Haven't tried the new nvidia drivers just released. Anyone have any feeback or played with nHancer settings yet with the new driver.

The fog is has some amazing effects. Does it comply correctly with the weather. If I get a report that fog is light, at night ships go out of sight at less than 500 yards, can't see the ship, but can actually see it's reflection on the water. During the day if weather says light fog, range of sight is about 1500 yards at the most. My biggest concern is does the fog have the same sight effect on the AI so all is fair...they shouldn't be able to spot me some hundred of yards less. Haven't played it enough to test it, but it may make surface attacks at night possible. If it doesn't effect the Al, then they would be able to see you long before you could see them and it would be a problem. If light fog has that effect, I can't imagine what heavy fog does. I prefer sonar and OKane attack methods so I hope it effects the AI's sight.

The waves are awesome. I think I ran into some 100 footers, looked like tidal waves, sometimes covering my entire ship. If you take your time with the cam you can find yourself in a valley with a wave wall blocking out the sky. I think the waves are the best thing.

I'm not sure, but I think it looked better with the last ver. of Nvidia drivers over the newest one. Like some feedback on this. I may roll back to the old driver and see.

Last edited by Armistead; 03-21-09 at 09:08 PM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 01:22 AM   #39
neosnk35
A-ganger

Downloads: 11

is this geared for 1.5... coz i only had 1.4.. those 10 bucks for the ubm will cost me a weeks allowance..

i would really loved to see it work on 1.4
neosnk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 01:27 AM   #40
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinger View Post
Thx for your replie W-Clear. I appreciate it.

Concerning the fog. What files are involved in that?

I might gona use some other files untill you have fixed it.

There are so many lovely things about this mod so i will use it but the fog driving me nuts hehe
\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\scene.dat

Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Shaders\VolumetricFog\VolumetricFogPS .fx
W_clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 02:13 AM   #41
neosnk35
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosnk35 View Post
is this geared for 1.5... coz i only had 1.4.. those 10 bucks for the ubm will cost me a weeks allowance..

i would really loved to see it work on 1.4
ive tested it in 1.4 it sure really works great..

i can almost smell the salt from the water

now those DDs would really see me in PD let alone the planes hiyahhh.. sooooooo breathtaking visuals

BTW how can i get rid of the plankton in the water and that orange icon above the sub?

this is really by far the best environmental mod ive seen soooo real sooo full of life.. havent yet encountered a storm...

big thumbs up for w_clear and kriller..........
Old 03-21-09, 03:29 AM   #42
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosnk35 View Post
ive tested it in 1.4 it sure really works great..

i can almost smell the salt from the water

now those DDs would really see me in PD let alone the planes hiyahhh.. sooooooo breathtaking visuals

BTW how can i get rid of the plankton in the water and that orange icon above the sub?

this is really by far the best environmental mod ive seen soooo real sooo full of life.. havent yet encountered a storm...

big thumbs up for w_clear and kriller..........

Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Misc\impurity.dds------------------->plankton

Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Misc\UMark.dds-------------------->orange icon
W_clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 03:38 AM   #43
ncorpuz34
A-ganger

Downloads: 118

First off, congrats on the release. The new water colors, sky and transparency effects are just awesome.

One thing I've noticed in the new release however is that this new version seems to have lost the "detailed reflections" effect. Reflections are now static and seem flat compared to RFB's environment. There is no more shimmering light reflect from fires and smoke and objects reflect are now flat.

Im a very visual person. As before this last RFB, I had made my own "blend" of PE and EE mods giving EEs colors and having PEs reflections and effects.

For those who have the current RFB/PE mod installed, you can see the differences of detailed reflections vs. simple reflections by turning off "detailed wave ripples" in the middle of a game. Turning it off makes the water looks more transparent similiar to new real environment mod but you lose the detailed reflections.

Here are some pictures to demonstration what I mean:

Hard to tell in this pic because its sized down, but the reflection of the fire from the ship is casting a "sparkly" effect onto the water below it.

New environment mod - the fire is now "mirror-like" and not scattered at all

Reflection of ship using current RFB/PE

Real environment

I dont know if this is intentional or not or maybe your guys might of missed something - just an observation ive noticed. Not trying to rain on your parade. I appreciate what all you modders have provided to this community.
Old 03-21-09, 04:55 AM   #44
neosnk35
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_clear View Post
Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Misc\impurity.dds------------------->plankton

Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Misc\UMark.dds-------------------->orange icon
many thanks W_clear that get rids of it...
i realy hate taht orange icon...
Old 03-21-09, 05:54 AM   #45
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

OK I found the problem that caused the game to freeze: It was Carotio's camera mod. Disabling it and returning to stock cameras allowed me to use again all views with no problems.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this