SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-08, 05:12 PM   #76
Goetz von B
Sailor man

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 0
Default Ubi Soft shows in install path

Hello all,
I noticed that when I was installing 1.01 SH3Speech that the default install path was: C:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\SilentHunterIII........it should read C:\Program Files\UbiSoft\SilentHunterIII without the space bewteen Ubi and Soft. Hope this helps.

Enjoy this terrific mod...I sure do

GvB
Goetz von B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 12:01 PM   #77
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

Tomcattwo. A great mod. Sure I need to practise but it is impressive. Love this one! I wonder if you still need to use the mouse somewhere but that I will see.
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 02:41 PM   #78
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2
Default Reply

rik007 said:
Quote:
Tomcattwo. A great mod. Sure I need to practise but it is impressive. Love this one! I wonder if you still need to use the mouse somewhere but that I will see.
Thanks . I tried to set it uip so that if you woulkd have to give an order to your crew in real life, you'd have an order (or orders) available in SH3. There are some things that you would do yourself in real life (such as manipulating the periscope, moving around your boat)) and so there are not SH3Speech orders for that. But there are some "convenience" orders in SH3Speech (such as "Zoom" to change the optics on the scope from hight to low). One nice thing about SH3Speech is that you CAN use the mouse/keypresses for ANYTHING you want to do - you don't have to necessarily use SH3Speech orders. It was made to provide you a realism tool, not to dictate how you play. Have a look at the IKH (Innenkommunikationen Handbuch) and play the way you feel like playing naturally. Give orders where it make ssense to do so; do it yourself (with mouse/keys) where it makes sense to do so. If you are playing in English, you'll find it'll recognize most of your orders anyway (at least those that make sense for the action you are trying to order). Have fun!
R/
TC2
Old 03-30-08, 03:00 PM   #79
rik007
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcattwo
rik007 said:
Quote:
Thanks . I tried to set it uip so that if you woulkd have to give an order to your crew in real life, you'd have an order (or orders) available in SH3. There are some things that you would do yourself in real life (such as manipulating the periscope, moving around your boat)) and so there are not SH3Speech orders for that. But there are some "convenience" orders in SH3Speech (such as "Zoom" to change the optics on the scope from hight to low). One nice thing about SH3Speech is that you CAN use the mouse/keypresses for ANYTHING you want to do - you don't have to necessarily use SH3Speech orders. It was made to provide you a realism tool, not to dictate how you play. Have a look at the IKH (Innenkommunikationen Handbuch) and play the way you feel like playing naturally. Give orders where it make ssense to do so; do it yourself (with mouse/keys) where it makes sense to do so. If you are playing in English, you'll find it'll recognize most of your orders anyway (at least those that make sense for the action you are trying to order). Have fun!
R/
TC2
You are right. My expectations were somehow that I could hang back in my lazy chair and dictate the full attack without hitting one key but that is nonsense. You should be able to command your crew to manage your ship. I just need to learn more commands in German. Right now I will do my first attack on a convoi. It is as if learning SH3 for the second time. Well what is better than that!
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 12:25 PM   #80
Redfox11
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Tom,

I play with GWX2 without OLC Gui. Some of the 704 commands such as "both ten revolutions ahead" don't work in voice_commands in the GWX_SHSpeech DOS-like window it says: "invalid data for phrase....No id match" why? Others such as "Bydeh machinen svy hundert zwanzig oomdryung" do work

Other vocal commands such as "Bydeh machinen stop" or "central" are working terrific as I improved my german pronunciation. Any ideas what causes the problem?

Thank you for your mod, to me, it appears to be indispensible for immersion now.

Last edited by Redfox11; 03-31-08 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 03:55 PM   #81
Friedl9te
Lieutenant

Downloads: 37

Maybe the command both ten revolutions ahead does not exis in voice_commands.csv
?

Friedl9te
Friedl9te SilentHunter III Help Thread (Sorry in German)
Friedl9te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 04:22 PM   #82
Redfox11
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedl9te
Maybe the command both ten revolutions ahead does not exis in voice_commands.csv
?
no Friedl, all these commands are in voice_commands.csv
Old 03-31-08, 07:33 PM   #83
Tomcattwo
Loader

Default Reply

Redfox11 said:
Quote:
Tom,

I play with GWX2 without OLC Gui. Some of the 704 commands such as "both ten revolutions ahead" don't work in voice_commands in the GWX_SHSpeech DOS-like window it says: "invalid data for phrase....No id match" why? Others such as "Bydeh machinen svy hundert zwanzig oomdryung" do work Other vocal commands such as "Bydeh machinen stop" or "central" are working terrific as I improved my german pronunciation. Any ideas what causes the problem?
Lotta head-bangin' goin' on there Redfox11 <hands Redfox11 some Tylenols> If you look in the command box for SH3Speech for ANY command which manipulates the dials, - you'll see at the end of the processing loop: INVALID DATA FOR PHRASE, <your phrase here> <id=phraseid# in one of the csv's> NO DATA MATCH! id phraseid# type name parent data Phrase Processed. Listening...

That is because for all dial type commands, the data type passed is not a data type, because it's a dial order. You can see from the trigonometric gobbeldygook above the INVALID DATA warning that the program is properly parsing the dial command and moving the mouse. That INVALID DATA warning is of no consequence as long as the mouse moves to where it's supposed to go and the mouse click occurs. In game, make sure your dials are synched up properly when you give this command. Since all the 704 commands work identically, giving an order that triggers one (no matter which phrasology you use, as long as its one of the recognized phrases) will cause the game to acti identically. If "Bydeh machinen svy hundert zwanzig oomdryung" works, it generates a 704 id dial command. If you are pronouncing "Both fifty revolutions ahead" and not "Both Five Zero revolutions ahead", and your pronumciation is suh that SAPI can understand it, you'll generate exactly the same 704 id order. Give it another try and make sure you are using "fifty" "seventy" "one hundred fifty" and not "five zero" "seven zero" or "one five zero" PM me if still haivng problems.:hmm:

Quote:
Thank you for your mod, to me, it appears to be indispensible for immersion now.
Heh Good! That was the idea! You're hopelessly hooked, and now all your friends or your wife will REALLY look at you weird as you scream in a foreign language at your computer screen

R/
TC2
Old 04-06-08, 08:03 PM   #84
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Are you sure TomcatTwo? I don't think the "INVALID DATA" should ever happen, and if it is, there's a good chance it isn't acting on the command at all.

The big IF block in question starts at line 347 and there are varous ELSE IFs in there to check the data and type to see if it is a key, setvar, mouse, dial, tube, etc type command. It only throws the INVALID DATA if all of those checks fail.

Of course, I haven't worked on this so long now, I've forgotten how a lot of things work, so I may be completely missing something non-obvious here.
Old 04-06-08, 10:01 PM   #85
Tomcattwo
Loader

Minsc_tdp: I'll send you a screenshot tomorrow.
R/
TC2
Old 04-06-08, 10:45 PM   #86
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26
Default Two observations

Excellent program that executes well in most regards. I have two observations (using v1.01):

1. Helm order "come right 5 degrees" >> rudder goes to 1 degrees starboard
Helm order "come right 10 degrees" >> rudder goes to 2 degrees starboard
Helm order "come right 15 degrees">> rudder goes to 3 degrees starboard
...and so on. In other words the rudder extends one degree at a time sequentially regardless of the degree requested. Am enunciating clearly and have tried to train the program...other commands execute crisply. Not sure why this is happening. I suspect that it is not usual otherwise there would be more comments. Ideas?

2. After using GWX_SHSpeech and shutting down, if one starts the simulation and does not activate GWX_SHSpeech, the usual keyboard commands opening and closing the tubes do not work (that is, "Q" does not open a selected tube, only tube number 1 and "W" does not close an elected tube). In other words, the known problem manipulating the torpedo tubes when GWX_SHSpeech is activated before starting SH3 (which can be worked around I know) persists even if GWX_SHSpeech has not been "switched on" before the game loads.

The tube problem is no big deal, but the helm control is rather unfortunate.
Is this unique to me?

Not major criticism, guys, since your work is appreciated and well done, but feedback is sometimes useful.
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 03:04 PM   #87
Tomcattwo
Loader

Default Replies

Archive1 said:
Quote:
Excellent program that executes well in most regards. I have two observations (using v1.01):
1. Helm order "come right 5 degrees" >> rudder goes to 1 degrees starboard
Helm order "come right 10 degrees" >> rudder goes to 2 degrees starboard
Helm order "come right 15 degrees">> rudder goes to 3 degrees starboard
...and so on. In other words the rudder extends one degree at a time sequentially regardless of the degree requested. Am enunciating clearly and have tried to train the program...other commands execute crisply. Not sure why this is happening. I suspect that it is not usual otherwise there would be more comments. Ideas?
Archive, you're using the wrong command. Come right XX degrees will cause your COURSE to change by XXX degrees. If XXX is small (say 5, 10 or 15), the helmsman will only use a small amount of rudder to get there, causing the effect you described. Per the IKH page 8, the commands for rudder orders are:

[Helm] Right (left) XXX degrees rudder or Auf Deutsch: Ruder steuerbord (backbord) XXX.

So you could order: "Right fifteen degrees rudder" or "Helm, right fifteen degrees rudder" (that is the order you would use in the US Navy) or "Left ten degrees rudder" or "Helm, left ten degrees rudder."

Try that and I think your rudder problem will be solved

Quote:
2. After using GWX_SHSpeech and shutting down, if one starts the simulation and does not activate GWX_SHSpeech, the usual keyboard commands opening and closing the tubes do not work (that is, "Q" does not open a selected tube, only tube number 1 and "W" does not close an elected tube). In other words, the known problem manipulating the torpedo tubes when GWX_SHSpeech is activated before starting SH3 (which can be worked around I know) persists even if GWX_SHSpeech has not been "switched on" before the game loads.
The tube problem is no big deal, but the helm control is rather unfortunate.
Is this unique to me?
Not major criticism, guys, since your work is appreciated and well done, but feedback is sometimes useful.
All feedback is welcome! In this instance, the reason why the tube keyboard commands are what they are is that the file you install to use SH3Speech (the one file installed using JSGME), named commands_en.cfg, is the file that "interprets" keypresses for SH3 into commands. If you run SH3 without running SH3Speech, the game is still operating using this keyboard command set. In most cases, this is pretty much the same command set most everyone uses (with a lot of additional keypresses not normally introduced in the "standard" key commands provided by stock SH3). SH3Speech Tube command keys are:

Cycle tubes: SHIFT-Y
Cycle Forward Tubes: W
Cycle Aft Tubes: Y
Toggle Open/Close Tube Door: Q (tube 1 only - bah!)
Open Selected Torpedo Tube: CTRL-Y
Close Selected Torpedo Tube: CTRL-W
Fire Torpedo Tube: CTRL-ENTER
Select Tube #x: SHIFT-#x (i.e., SHIFT-1 = tube 1)

An alternative if you want to run SH3 WITHOUT Sh3Speech is to use JSGME to uninstall the SH3Speech_GWX or SH3Speech_OLC files from SH3. That will leave you with the commands_en.cfg (or commands_de.cfg) files from your standard SH3 install (GWX or OLC).

With respect to a tube door going shut on you if you select another tube from the periscope or UZO screen, that is a SH3 coding issue and not related to which keypress(es) are used to issue the commands or mouse movements. Wish it weren't so, but it is. Just something we have to live with. The workarounds will still work irrespective of whether you are using SH3Speech or not.

R/
TC2

Last edited by Tomcattwo; 04-07-08 at 07:28 PM.
Tomcattwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 10:57 PM   #88
Archive1
Commander

Downloads: 26

Ah-ha! (slaps head) there's a difference between Rudder Orders and Heading Orders, dummy. I was clearly using Heading Orders. Mea culpa.

I now understand the Keyboard/SH3Speech relationship. As I mentioned, this isn't really a problem once one gets a system in place. I presented it only as an observation. It is nice to have the SH3Speech keyboard code, however.

Thanks for your patience and committment.
Archive1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 11:32 AM   #89
frenema
Torpedoman

Downloads: 8

Hi again, did I miss something on the manual or is there no option to open multiple tubes for salvo shots?
frenema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 04:45 PM   #90
Tomcattwo
Loader

Default Reply

frenema said:
Quote:
Hi again, did I miss something on the manual or is there no option to open multiple tubes for salvo shots?
From the SH3Speech FAQ Version 1.01:

Quote:

Sometimes I order my tube doors to open and then when I pick another tube, the first tube door shuts! Why is that? Can I get all of my tube doors open at one time?

This is a behavior that is hard coded into SH3 – if you use keypresses for tube selection commands or are in any screen other than the TDC screen, and you cycle or select another tube and the tube door you are currently on is open, SH3 will SHUT the open tube door for the tube you are leaving. I dunno why it does this, but it does.

There are a couple of workarounds so that you can get all your tube doors open at once: Go to the TDC (Attack Map) screen and give your tube orders from there using your mouse or using SH3Speech (using SH3Speech, you’d say,
“TDC Open Tube 1, TDC Open Tube 2, TDC Open Tube 3…etc). Your tube doors will stay open as long as you don’t select another tube from your periscope or UZO screen. Remember when in the TDC screen to say “TDC” as a precursor to any order given here.

Another workaround is to select the first tube you want to shoot, and just before shooting, go to the Conning Tower scope (Turm Sehrohr). Look down and you’ll see some toggle switches. These are for your tube doors. Flip them down to open the tube doors, then go back to periscope or UZO and start shooting. After the first shot, you’ll select or order another tube and the just-shot tube door will be closed for you. Keep shooting till you’re all done. You can ensure the doors are all shut when you make your getaway by ordering “Close all tubes”
R/
TC2