SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-18, 04:40 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default 25 Awesome (And Some Unexpected) Things Powered By Linux

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/08/...-powered-linux

From 2016, still some entries may catch you by surprise.

Some months ago I have read that even in Microsoft's HQ, most of their systems in offices do not run on Microsoft software and Windows, but Linux.
Old 03-06-18, 02:45 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

And it's that way because it is easier, faster and more capable than Windows. I believe Microsoft has really lost interest in Windows in a warped kind of corporate boredom. They should open-source it and toss it out to the world, before they make that final mistake that leaves no-one running it.

Maybe, with 8 plus core processors, we can set a captive, defanged version of Windows running in Virtualbox. That's my project right now.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 04:39 PM   #3
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

Maybe, with 8 plus core processors, we can set a captive, defanged version of Windows running in Virtualbox. That's my project right now.

Do you have a 2nd video card/monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Set it up with a GPU pass-through for the VM and that way you can get access to the GPU.

Otherwise you are stuck with what amounts to a VGA video card, versus a "video accelerator" (old terms here).

In the works for me now, when I get a bit of time.
I tried it before but running 2 of the same card made it difficult to isolate the 2nd card to pass it off to the VM.
Going to try with one of my old R7s as the 2nd card, and maybe pull in one of my HD6750s in the 3rd/4th x16 slot (run to the 2nd and 3rd HDMI input on the 2nd TV, running the 5600 X2 on the first HDMI input.)

Also check this out:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...VM-Frame-Relay

Allows you to pass it back to the main monitor as a window.
I need to try this out as well.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 05:21 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Honestly said I think understanding Windows 10 to be just a game console OS, and treat it as such - just a gaming console - sounds like the (pragmatically seen) more inviting option. Gaming I think will never become really great on Linux. I ust watched the long interview with Stefano Cassilo and Marco Massaruto on the development of Assetto Corsa Competitzione, the irst is the lead programmer and the seocnd the licensing manager of Kunos. They were asked on whether the game will maybe go to Liunux as well, and while they had left a similiar question for consoles open, for Linux they said decisively No, and indicated briefly that there simply are techncial imoplicatiosn that make it difficult and even undesribale to develope such a propgram under Linux.

Too uch of gaming, too many sims and games, need to accept compromises and broken hardware support, myself I have comletely given up of trying to make games run on Lkinux. It might be possible with quite some titles, for the knowing insidewrs- but there you have it: needing to be an insider, and wanting a sofdtware trend that is accessible for the wide public and ordinary household user, is not reaqlly mutually supportive.

Indeed I think that Linux will always remain to be a chise for just a very few, a tiny minoirty, and for tasks run by experts like the original link I pout up is illustrating. Its not the OS for the huge masses of normal users and players.

And I tried three printers now (Canon, Epson, Brother) - and still have none working flawlessly both with texts and images, both in b/w and colours, with my Linux rig. Somethignt hat wants to become really popular, must approach these kind of everyday usage issues much more user-friendly. The apson and Brother porinters were said to support Loinux. They do better than Canon - but not flawlessly and reliably as under Windows.