Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-18, 11:40 PM   #1
REDOWL
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Ship Tracking Question

Hi,

I have a problem with tracking ships. After I lock onto a ship, I ask that it be followed automatically and identified. That works if the ship is alone or last in line in a convoy and stays last in line. However, when another ship gets between the sub and the first ship being followed, the contact seems to get lost. Is there any way to ensure the once I request a ship to be tracked, it stays tracked no matter if another ship "get in the way" so to speak?

Thanks,
REDOWL
REDOWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 12:46 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

You must tell the Weapon Officer to follow your target.
Also for identifying ships you need to load an optional TWoS mod, switch to Manual TDC and ask the WO to identify the ship after you have locked it.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 05:08 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Which mod is that?

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 07:06 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Which mod is that?
It's contained in the optional mod package for TWoS and called:

TWos UI Cmd Auto Target ID

I hope I got the name correctly, I have to go by memory...This mod will allow you to ask the Radio man to send messages when you are on another station, it adds the necessary icons; plus you can identify ships when asking the WO.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 07:38 PM   #5
REDOWL
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

I'm using Wolves of Steel with UI cmd Radio Report Auto Target ID. In the past I tracked single ships. This time I am next to a convoy with destroyers. There are also high rolling waves. The ships are moving rather fast. If I tell the XO to follow a ship, he follows the ship until either a high wave blocks the view from the periscope or a destroyer gets between the ship the XO was tracking and the periscope. Then the ship is no longer tracked. The window which shows information of the ship being tracked either has no tracking information when a large wave rolls over the periscope or, in the case of a destroyer coming between the merchant ship and the periscope, the window which shows information on the ship being tracked suddenly shows the a warship is being tracked, not the merchant. How does the XO track a ship? Why does he stop tracking the ship he was tracking?

On a related matter, is there a method to fire torpedoes in a spread pattern at a convoy without using the aiming tools like the attack disc? I was using time compression to get near a convoy once and when I went back to normal time and raised the periscope I decided I was too close to the convoy to use the aiming tools. The convoy was going rather slow and I decided to launch a spread of torpedoes and sank two ships. However, it was a hit or miss attempt and I lucked out to a certain extent. I would like to use that method but taking into account the maximum distance the sub should be away from a convoy, the fastest speed of the convoy to try that method, the speed of the torpedoes etc. and use this information to calculate exactly when you should fire the torpedoes and what the bearing should be in terms of the sub.

Thanks for the replies.
REDOWL is offline   Reply With Quote