Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-18, 06:15 PM   #1
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Default CD key already in use - over a month and still not fixed

CD key already in use. I contacted Ubisoft tech support January 2nd. At one point they said they fixed it, but was still broke. Steam version by the way. I played it before last year. I mainly play SH4, but thought I would try it again for a change of pace.

Ubisoft is so slow with responses.

I still can't believe I paid money for a product, and the company is not letting me use that product. Is this the new normal now? Is this the world we live in?
Old 02-05-18, 09:39 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Sorry to say, but read the last Steam threads for the game and you'll discover that you won't have much fun with the Steam version. Problem is it cannot be patched to 1.2.0 (until Steam wakes up some day and uploads the patch) and then because of Steam DRM you still could not upgrade the game with most of the mods in Subsim, until someone comes with a miracle solution.

Ubisoft has nothing more to do with this game, it runs on the UPlay servers.
Check if with your key you can download from UPlay which maybe gives you the 1.2.0 patched version, but I don't know. Instead of asking Ubisoft rather ask Steam support or Uplay.

Now you'll ask: why should you patch and mod, it's because anterior versions and even 1.2.0 are broken and very unsatisfying compared to some serious mods here which turn the game more than ok.
If really you are interested in SH5, get a non-Steam version, doesn't matter which version, important is that you can patch it to 1.2.0.
Or: Get a version of SH3 which should be easier, the gameplay difference is not that big if you mod SH3 whith some good mods like Grey Wolfes or WAC, also you'd have all sorts of sub types to play, which you currently can't in SH5.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-05-18 at 10:36 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 11:42 AM   #3
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Sorry to say, but read the last Steam threads for the game and you'll discover that you won't have much fun with the Steam version. Problem is it cannot be patched to 1.2.0 (until Steam wakes up some day and uploads the patch)
Is this really true?? That the Steam version can not be updated with the official v1.2.0 patch?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 01:31 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Is this really true?? That the Steam version can not be updated with the official v1.2.0 patch?
From what I read in the last Steam posts: yes, they are blocked on version 1.1. For any games you buy on Steam you depend upon what patches they are willing to upload in Steam, you can never patch elsewhere because of Steam DRM.

On UPlay the game is updated AFAIK, but this will still not allow to run the stock game or TWoS or other mods without problems (because of DRM). Also is Steam = Uplay? Do you have to pay extra? I don't know and I don't care at this point.
Steam could make a sticky post with instructions about patching on UPlay, but: nothing, and no support I think, you just spend $34.99 for air.
That's because Steam just has checked if you were able to start the game, they see you can, so all is ok
My guess is: they will simply take the game out soon without telling a word. This game is surely a pin in their ***.

For the current state of things, I believe the Steam version of SH5 is good for the trashbin. I will remember this next time before I buy there.

P.S: It seems that if you critisize Steam too much you soon have problems with your Login

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-06-18 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 03:44 PM   #5
Drescher
Nub

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Dont want to start a steam-discussion here, but i use the steam version and while its not an easy task i was able to install TWoS following the steps a nice chap called THEBERBSTER did post here. You can find the link in the TWoS thread.

To the OP: id try my luck with steam support, because technically its a steamgame if you bought it there. And they are usually quite helpful, so id say this is your best shot.
Drescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 05:02 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drescher View Post
Dont want to start a steam-discussion here, but i use the steam version and while its not an easy task i was able to install TWoS following the steps a nice chap called THEBERBSTER did post here. You can find the link in the TWoS thread.
Which game version is the Steam version? 1.2.0 ? What number do you see onscreen after launching your game please?

@OP,
Another post from Steam is: download the 1.2.0 patch and extract the sh5.exe from it, but I didn't see a feedback that this works.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-06-18 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 05:25 PM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
And did you read the first lines in the TWoS thread (written in big red) ?
I added that warning because Steam SH5.exe can not be patched with TDW's Generic File Patcher application.

But, Steam version of the game can work just right with the available workaround IF user knows what he is doing.

Recently , Sputterfish has release his Automatic Steam Conversion tool which can really simplify the entire process. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...4&postcount=34

I'm asking all this because I'm trying to find the correct way to implement this tool into new TWoS installer but I don't know much about Steam's SH5...

So, So far I have learned that Steam SH5 can only be updated to v1.2.0 if you perform manual Steam conversion and not before that. Is this correct?

I would also need someone with SH5 from steam to test new sputterfish's tool and give a feedback...
Old 02-06-18, 06:58 PM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I added that warning because Steam SH5.exe can not be patched with TDW's Generic File Patcher application.

But, Steam version of the game can work just right with the available workaround IF user knows what he is doing.

Recently , Sputterfish has release his Automatic Steam Conversion tool which can really simplify the entire process. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...4&postcount=34
But then, that is really *very good news* for any Steam version , why is it that Steam/Steam posters don't say a word about that...
I always thought that the Generic Patcher was a must to patch SH5 (or TWoS), now you say this can go out of the window, you can do without? You don't say it in your thread. Doing without Generic Patcher my understanding was: then the game must still be full of bugs, all those that the Generic Patcher corrects.
Sorry, but that's all hard to understand...

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-06-18 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 07:05 PM   #9
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
But then, that is really *very good news* for any Steam version , why is it that Steam/Steam posters don't say a word about that...

Then, I always thought that the Generic Patcher was a must to patch SH5, even this can go out of the window then, you can do without? Then the game must still be full of bugs, all those that the Generic Patcher corrects...That's all hard to understand...
What do you mean "out of the window"? Once the Steam conversion is performed , TDW's generic patcher can be used just like with any other SH5 version. That's the whole point...Steam conversion doesn't replace TDW's generic patcher, it only allows it...
Old 02-06-18, 07:16 PM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Humm, Veco,
Then please change your thread, take away the red warning and make it more clear, maybe just inserting what you say above and the link is enough
Old 02-06-18, 07:48 PM   #11
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Humm, Veco,
Then please change your thread, take away the red warning and make it more clear, maybe just inserting what you say above and the link is enough
It is clear enough I'd say, for anyone who is willing to do some reading of course. So far, many people have converted their Steam games successfully but for some this is still unsolvable enigma and, to be honest, I got somewhat tired of one and the same questions from Steam users.
If everything turns out OK with Sputterfish's tool, then I may finally remove Steam warning.
But I need more data about the Steam version of the game...
Old 02-06-18, 07:52 PM   #12
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Yes, I have just edited my post above in response to Drescher, so he will feedback hopefully.

On Steam a guy was asking 'how to patch to 1.2?' , so the Steam version cannot be 1.2.0...
Old 02-06-18, 08:10 PM   #13
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
On Steam a guy was asking 'how to patch to 1.2?' , so the Steam version cannot be 1.2.0...
OK...The question is, can it be updated?

I'm getting contradictory informations here...
You say that it can not be updated, yet in sirrawsrsalot's instructions for manual steam conversion he is replacing steam SH5.exe with the executable taken from official 1.2.0 update, which means that his Steam SH5 is already at v1.2.0.
Old 02-06-18, 10:05 PM   #14
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Best info about a sh5.exe replacement I've got on Steam forums is this, and as you see there is no feedback saying wether it works or not:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/48110/...5965292313897/

But try it, you should quickly find it out. Take or download the patch 1.2.0 which is easy to find, and then try to get the sh5.exe out of it in some tricky way. I guess that for normal people not having a degree of System Administrators will not be able to run this patch if they have not a non-Steam SH5 game installed, with the Steam version the patch should simply not launch.
Now if you can extract the sh5.exe out of the patch with the right tools, the better for you, but this is NOT in reach for everyone obviously.

Thus my statement about 'good for trashbin' for any Steam version still applies, but seeing your work and progress: not for long I hope, I see you now have a good batch file running

Last edited by XenonSurf; 02-06-18 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 10:35 PM   #15
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Best info about a sh5.exe replacement I've got on Steam forums is this, and as you see there is no feedback saying wether it works or not:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/48110/...5965292313897/

But try it, you should quickly find it out. Take or download the patch 1.2.0 which is easy to find, and then try to get the sh5.exe out of it in some tricky way. I guess that for normal people not having a degree of System Administrators will not be able to run this patch if they have not a previous non-DRM SH5 game installed, with the Steam version the patch should simply not launch.
Now if you can extract the sh5.exe out of the patch with the right tools, the better for you, but this is NOT in reach for everyone obviously.

Thus my statement about 'good for trashbin' for any Steam version still applies, but seeing your work and progress: not for long I hope
I don't think we understand each other...
I already know that the manual steam conversion works, that's not the issue here.

I just don't want to end up with a ton of "I-want-to-blow-some-ships" 'splosions hungry Steam warriors on my neck crying out laud how their Steam game "still can not work with TWoS", only to find out that they have v1.0.0 version of the game with 1.2.0 executable...If you know what I mean...