SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-09, 04:46 PM   #76
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER View Post
so whats involved in swapping out all the ships to make these missions stock ready? do i just replace the ship name and ship class?
The "Classname" taken from the roster file is the main one and make sure the replacement is the same "Type" which is from the roster file "Unittype=". The 'Name" also comes from the roster file from "DisplayName=". This 'Name' can be changed in the Mission Editor, so I am not sure if a duplicate "name" will cause a conflict, I have seen ships with the same name before and it worked ok. So I think if it was me, I would change:

Edit:
Before changing anything, check the "[Group #]" and find the "CommandUnitName=" and make sure you know which ship is the Group leader so if you change the name of the ship, you make the Command Unit name match the new ship name. The CommandUnitName is usually the [Group #. Unit 1] but I do not know if it has to be, buy it always has been for the missions I have looked at.

1. Classname= to match Classname in the Roster.
2. Name= to match the Displayname in the Roster, but if you replace 3 DDs with a _JP DD Fubuki number them _JP DD Fubuki#1, _JP DD Fubuki#2, _JP DD Fubuki#3. Check with "Find" to see if there are already some _JP DD Fubuki#1 in the mission. It may not be necessary but it sure makes things easier. I have played mission with ships having the same names and it didn't seem to cause a problem, but it is makes it easier to keep track of in the mission editor.
3. Make sure the "Type=" and "Origin=" match the Roster.

That should work unless I am forgetting something.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 10-19-09, 06:46 PM   #77
Starforce2
Planesman

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

SM108 Ambon Supplies crashes the editor. It plays for a while but causes a major ship duplication bug that results in some self-sinking enemy ships.

I'll keep going down the list to see what works and what doesn't.

Also, question...

Is there a specific file or two I must look at if I want to debug my own mission or alter a mission for a mod like FOTRS? I'd like to make the stock tokyo express compatable but for some reason when it's used it goes wild on the spawning. If I knew what the important files (in the install) were I could debug some of these myself (their filepath would be helpfull). I want to get into mission making anyways.
Old 10-19-09, 07:08 PM   #78
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
That should work unless I am forgetting something.

Peabody
i replaced the non stock ships with different types to avoid numbered isuues but it wont even load now.

Last edited by Webster; 10-19-09 at 07:53 PM.

Old 10-19-09, 07:36 PM   #79
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

I see that some problems are cropping up with some of my missions, please give me a list so I can work on them and correct the problems if possible.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Old 10-19-09, 07:45 PM   #80
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I see that some problems are cropping up with some of my missions, please give me a list so I can work on them and correct the problems if possible.
these 2 missions dont use stock ships and are getting CTD issues.

they are:

"Approaches To Singapore" and the "Sibutu Passage" mission
(both get a CTD as soon as ships are supposed to appear)

also Starforce2 is reporting (see post #77 above) that the "Ambon Supplies" mission also crashes.

update:

"Ambon Supplies" mission looks to be a non stock ships in the mission issue as well.

Last edited by Webster; 10-19-09 at 08:16 PM.

Old 10-19-09, 09:10 PM   #81
Starforce2
Planesman

I cannot open SM110 Crossroads in the editor, but the mission plays fine. There's a ship near the bottom of the text list I don't recognise. Though, I only sunk merchants, I may not have stayed in long enough to encounter the warships.

I'm not going to bother with the next mission either, which is oil in the storm, oddly enough opens in the editor till you try to zoom in..It's got Atleast one bad warship, a Kiabokan, which only tmo and I think FOTRS give you.
Old 10-19-09, 09:12 PM   #82
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
these 2 missions dont use stock ships and are getting CTD issues.

they are:

"Approaches To Singapore" and the "Sibutu Passage" mission
(both get a CTD as soon as ships are supposed to appear)

also Starforce2 is reporting (see post #77 above) that the "Ambon Supplies" mission also crashes.

update:

"Ambon Supplies" mission looks to be a non stock ships in the mission issue as well.

Check you PMs over at the Ubi SH Forums. You will find a link to the reworked "Approaches To Singapore".

I've looked at the Sibutu Passage mission and at least on my computer the missions runs fine.

I've also been contacted by someone else who is having problems another mission of mine called Protect Wake Island. I'm in the process of reworking it now. Got a few thing to straighten out.

I'll look into the Ambon Supplies tonight.

Old 10-19-09, 09:36 PM   #83
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default help

TAWI RECON
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I must have been too full of myself after sinking two carriers on my first run. My second try was a disaster. Heavy, heavy damage and two dead from air attacks during daylight. I licked my wounds and buried the dead. After dark I tried to sneak in for recon. I attacked a task force, missing 10 shots. I continued on, suffering major damage and flooding from task force destroyers who finished me off after 10 minutes of "Come out, come out, wherever you are?" [aka for those who are movie buffs, "Oh Warriors,... Warriors, Come out and Playeee."]

The mission's ending reminded me of a story about Pecos Bill and his horse, Widowmaker. No man could ride Widowmaker, except Pecos Bill. The story goes that a boy once said the rumour about Widowmaker being a killer was nothin' but a Tall Tale. Pecos Bill retorted that once a cowboy climbed aboard Widowmaker and tried to ride him. Widowmaker went crazy and bucked so hard that the the poor fella' went flyin' into space where he bounced up and down off the surface of the moon for a week before Pecos shot him down on a Sunday just so's he could be recevie a proper burial. The boy still did not believe Pecos Bill and put his hand on the horse's reins, preparing to mount the steed. As the boy took the reins, Pecos added, "Son, let me tell it to you in plain English. You try to ride Widowmaker ... he'll kill you." In other words, my ass was handed to me on a silver platter.

(My crew love it when I tell them stories before lights out!)

(Now if I could only lasso my three toy poddles (my son refers to them as the killer guard dogs.))
Just what I thought!!! Here I am stuck on the sea floor, pumping sea water. And what are cdsubron7, Wester and Peabody doing? Except for weekends when Webster is mowing his lawn looking for his car, they are working on another mission fix! At least you could send the Glomar Explorer to try and get me the hell out of here....
Old 10-19-09, 09:54 PM   #84
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Check you PMs over at the Ubi SH Forums. You will find a link to the reworked "Approaches To Singapore".

I've looked at the Sibutu Passage mission and at least on my computer the missions runs fine.

I've also been contacted by someone else who is having problems another mission of mine called Protect Wake Island. I'm in the process of reworking it now. Got a few thing to straighten out.

I'll look into the Ambon Supplies tonight.

i tried it but the link in your PM over at ubi is a bad link (note there were a few non stock RSRDC ships besides the aux cruiser in there as well)

peabody noted:
Quote:
If you are trying to get it working in stock, there are several ships that are in the Approaches to Singapore that are not stock.
DDAkatsuki
DDHatsuharu
CVHiyo
DDKagero
DDYugumo
KMSSHogIslandJPN
DDMomi
KMSSRyuun
you did a very good job not using any TMO ships in your misssions but it looks like the problem ships are in fact RSRDC added ships so make sure RSRDC is disabled when you test it.

the Sibutu Passage mission has these non stock RSRDC ships:

DD Yugumo
DD Kagero
CV Hiyo
DD Hatsuharu
DD Akatsuki
CL Tenryu
CL Agano

im not saying that this list is all of them but those are the ones i noticed.

Old 10-19-09, 10:48 PM   #85
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Try this link here.

I think something needs to be said here and I'm sorry if I'm being difficult. So here it is.

All of the missions that I've made in recent times have been done using TMO v1.7 and RSRDC (latest version) as I've stated every time I post a new mission. If you and Starforce wish to rework my missions so they will work with the stock game, I'm going to give you both permission to rework them. I'm sorry to say that I neither have the time nor do I want to make the effort to convert all missions for stock.

I will try to help out with any of my older missions that won't play anymore, but will not redo missions just for the stock game that play perfectly well on my computer.

I apologize if I've upset either of you with my feeling on this and if you don't want to promote my missions anymore I'll understand.

Old 10-19-09, 10:53 PM   #86
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
i replaced the non stock ships with different types to avoid numbered isuues but it wont even load now.
Did you change the Type= number to match the ship you putting in?

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 10-19-09, 11:09 PM   #87
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starforce2 View Post
Is there a specific file or two I must look at if I want to debug my own mission or alter a mission for a mod like FOTRS? I'd like to make the stock tokyo express compatable but for some reason when it's used it goes wild on the spawning. If I knew what the important files (in the install) were I could debug some of these myself (their filepath would be helpfull). I want to get into mission making anyways.
There are only two files to a mission. The .mis file and the .tsr file. If you can't open the mission in the mission editor you can open those two files in notepad. But I would suggest you try writing a few missions first so you know what you are reading in the .mis file. Both files are in the SingleMissions or SinglePartols folder inside the folder with the same name as the mission.

Peabody

Old 10-19-09, 11:11 PM   #88
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default cdsubron

Did not upset me. The mission just kicked my ass when I was asleep at the wheel.
Old 10-19-09, 11:13 PM   #89
Starforce2
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
There are only two files to a mission. The .mis file and the .tsr file. If you can't open the mission in the mission editor you can open those two files in notepad. But I would suggest you try writing a few missions first so you know what you are reading in the .mis file. Both files are in the SingleMissions or SinglePartols folder inside the folder with the same name as the mission.

Peabody

I am aware of this. However, my question was what files in the install do I check, not what files in the mission. If I were to convert one of these to fall of the rising sun, I'd need to compare the information (ship classes whatever you call them) in the mission files to something else to make sure they are listed the same for this mod.

Ok, you guys still are not understanding my question apparently. ignoring the mission editor for a moment..where in the games file structure do I find the file with the correct type numbers such as:
Name=_JP DD Mutsuki#1
Class=DDMutsuki
Type=4
Which I assume is what changes from mod to mod for a given ship, IE with stock how they changed the yamato and iowa battleship type numbers so the old missions now crash. There's got to be a library in the game directory someplace of these..that's what I'm looking for.

Last edited by Starforce2; 10-19-09 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-19-09, 11:25 PM   #90
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Below is a list of Japanese ships from the stock ME.

Closed Thread