SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-18, 05:15 PM   #1
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936
Uploads: 0
Default Submariner side effects

I was wondering if any serving or former submariners in here have experienced any side effects from their service on submarines. I served in the Royal Navy for 23 years, and since leaving 5 years ago i only recently realised there are some side effects to my former service. mostly brought to my attention from my ex wife after she left 2 years ago and although me remain good shipmates she pointed out the following flaws in my charachter:-

1. I installed aquariums in various rooms of the house, i like the noise of water flow.

2. I fitted the tumble dryer and washing machine on top of rubber matting and only run either appliance after 19:00 local time.

3. I have a fan in the bedroom that is on all year round on setting number 2 to reflect ambient ventilation, if she ever turned it off while i was asleep i would wake up from a deep sleep in panic.

4. I would shout at my kids for running up and down the stairs creating noise shorts, even though the wife couldn't hear them.

5. I maintain a regular menu for me and my son (he chose to stay with me after the divorce), there can be no deviation with the menu due to provisions stocked, unless he's eating out with his pals in which case the meal is cooked and placed in the freezer for the for the following week.

6. Every Saturday morning is "clean ship", we have a cooked breakfast at 0800 and clean the house from top floor to the bottom, takes about an hour, this is part of my sons weekly routine for his pocket money (allowance)

I don't feel i run a strict regime in my house although its just me, my kid (15 year old) and my jack russel (security detail), my kids pals smoke weed, stay out late or all night or get drunk outside the local supermarket. My kid is a good lad and i think he knows how much i love him and depend on him as he feels he's part of a team, which is how i want him to feel, like he's needed and relied upon, valued and loved.

I wonder if there are others out there that have similar quirks that's all, thank you for taking the time to read my post shipmates.
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 05:34 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

I always close doors quietly and always, always, always check the lint filter in the dryer to make sure its empty.

Otherwise, if I want some pizza its always on a Saturday and no matter what its always a burger for lunch on fridays.

Good thread.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-18, 04:38 PM   #3
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicninja View Post
I was wondering if any serving or former submariners in here have experienced any side effects from their service on submarines.

6. Every Saturday morning is "clean ship", we have a cooked breakfast at 0800 and clean the house from top floor to the bottom

I wonder if there are others out there that have similar quirks that's all, thank you for taking the time to read my post shipmates.

You sir are a sick puppy and need to seek help. The USN had the opposite effect on my cleanliness habits. Something akin to Quint's aversion to life jackets in Jaws.
Old 09-02-18, 02:46 PM   #4
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

I've needed the fan running since I got out 12 years ago, there seems to be a sort of grace period before I fully wake up if it's shut off. I was told by an ex-gf years later (we sorted things out and remain friends after she married my best friend from my time in) that I became verbally aggressive about her shutting the fan off while I was still asleep, otherwise I'll wake up if it shuts off.

Sound silencing is a thing still but not to the same level, try to shut doors quietly and don't go stomping around the house (which is difficult in an old farmhouse with wood floors). Always telling the kids and GF to turn the volume down on the TV's, I have tinnitus and some hearing loss from my time in and still set the volume much lower than they do.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-18, 09:26 PM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

When I was working in southern Maine, every now and then I'd get called to do some work on one of the smaller islands and jump on a ferry out of Portland.

I gotta admit, with those engines chugging along and some slight chop on the water, I would catch myself looking for a nice spot to take a power nap. I always slept like a log on the Barbel unless we were stuck in heavy seas.

BTW, ET3, I know exactly what you're hearing.
We had the same gear and I'll bet we both wore the same head phones (with the gain maxxed out).

Wearing dolphins will make you a little strange.

Back when I was in A school, one of our instructors invited us to check out his new digs and grab some burgers. So, out to the trailer park we went.

Everything went fine until he figured out that 20 burgers frying in a small kitchen might have been, well, wishful thinking.

So, the range catches fire and he jumps into action with the CO2 and then yells (and I swear this is true..), "THE FIRE IS OUT, THE REFLASH WATCH IS SET!!" with a slightly glazed look in his eyes.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote