Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-07-12, 02:25 PM   #1
Halgarre
Shore leave

Downloads: 83
Uploads: 0
Default Which FSX tutorial would you suggest?

I'm wanting to install FSX. Some of the installation tutorials are from 2009-2010 and looking at some they seem to be out of date. Can someone point me to a tutorial that you use?

My system specs are:
AMD Phenom 9750 2.4GHz
3 gigs of Corsair DDR2 PC2-4300
Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX 512mb
Acer 21" monitor
Western Digital 1TB external hard drive (where I plan on installing it)

Halgarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-12, 03:46 PM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Err, insert disc and either auto-run will auto-run and you keep clicking either OK or Next only stopping to change your installation drive location. Or if auto-run doesn't auto-run then open My Computer and double-click the relevant disc and find the install file - double-click and follow previous instructions!

Or have I missed something?
Old 07-08-12, 11:27 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Do not install in the default location, choose a separate, different folder.

Use this page to optimise basics of the config file.

http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Use an external frame rate limiter (30 works well for most), not the internal one. The internal you should set to "unlimited", the external to 30. Some graohcis driver seem to already have that feature, but also are reported to work unreliable.

Do not use DX10 in the sim settings, it is not ripe and creates artifacts. FSX is no true and native DX10 sim. Blooming light effects and shadows also are performance killers. Keep traffic sliders at low, if you face system lockups (like I did): switch ALL traffic (air, land, sea) to zero, this cured my problems. Street traffic in general and air traffic is a known hog on performance anyway.

Check this:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/fsx-and-nhancer-settings-for-new-drivers-updated_topic36586.html

What kind of flying do you prefer? VFR or IFR at higher altitudes? If the latter, not all environmental addons are needed, since you do not benefit from gbround scenery when flying at 30000. Improved weather textures, weather install software, and airport sceneries is what I prefer, doing medium and high altitude IFR exclusively. If you do VFR at low altiude, imrpved mesh and imporved landclass files might be interesting for you. But they have an effect on frames.

As always, FSX needs CPU power before GPU power or RAM.

I am not experienced with Phenom processors, but I read 2.4 GHz per core, that maybe indicates you need to be gentle on FSX' internal settings. Start low and push them up slowly as well. FSX is no multi-core optimised title, and mainly uses only 1 core, the others help in improving the system and background tasks. FSX needs fast CPU before anything else. Check temp to not exceed critical values.
Old 07-08-12, 01:06 PM   #4
Halgarre
Shore leave

Downloads: 83

Thanks, I will check them out.
Skybird, When I ran FS9 I used to fly WC-130's doing Hurricane Hunter missions. I was a member of the vUSAF and the SIMA. I would like to do that again.

I love flying props VFR/IFR under 20,000. I use ActiveSky for my weather and I plan on getting Aerosoft Bronco X. and if my legs can handle it the Cpt Sims C-130 to fly hurricane missions again

There is a lot of how to install FSX out on the web, I checked a bunch of them and I was curious as to which one Ya'll prefer and works over the other.
Halgarre is offline   Reply With Quote