SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-18, 09:27 AM   #1
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7
Default Recognition Manual structure/setup

I can find bits and pieces of the Recognition manual, but I'm not exactly clear of its full structure and design. For instance, when you open a page to a particular ship, what determines the page it appears, the order in which it appears, and the information (ex. daft, mast height) it displays?
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-18, 11:08 AM   #2
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Thanks for the reply, but that wasn't what I'd meant. What I'm looking for is the file structures and locations. For instance, if I create a new ship, what is required, and where does it go? It appears the silhouette portion goes in the /data/Sea/[individual ship] folder, but I'm looking for the file location for the draft, mast height, etc, that displays below the silhouette image.
Old 07-24-18, 12:53 PM   #3
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
Thanks for the reply, but that wasn't what I'd meant. What I'm looking for is the file structures and locations. For instance, if I create a new ship, what is required, and where does it go? It appears the silhouette portion goes in the /data/Sea/[individual ship] folder, but I'm looking for the file location for the draft, mast height, etc, that displays below the silhouette image.
data/Sea/[individual_en/ge.txt]
or
Cfg file:
Length=
Width=
Mast=
Draft=
Displacement=
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-18, 01:46 PM   #4
EmeAzul
US Navy LT

Downloads: 582
Uploads: 0
Default Recognition Manual Source and Structure

Schlechter, the source of the information you are looking for is the individual ships' CFG file, in the Ships' named Folder under the main Sea folder, where it lists the ClassName, Unittype, MaxSpeed, Length, Width, Mast, Draft and Displacement. You should find these same values in the SH3 Commander's CFG file, under "Ship Displacements". I'm not sure if this Commander file overrides the Ships individual CFG file, but I make them totally consistent to be on the safe side. The displacement value shown in the Regocnition Manual for the ship in question will differ a bit based on the Random defaults specified (5% up or down in my case).

As to the structure, it basically displays the ships in either Alphabetic or Numeric order, as taken from the EnglishNames.cfg file (or FrenchNames or GermanNames) found at the bottom of the main Sea Folder. The order of the UnitTypes seems to be fixed as UnitType 103 (Transports), 101 (Tankers), 102 (Merchants), 100 (Supply Tenders) and 104 (Coastals). Then the Warship UnitTypes follow in order of BBs, CAs, CLs, CVs, DDs, DEs and PBs. I'm a GWX user, but I suspect this same order is in place for the other Super Mods.

Whithin each UnitType grouping, you have quite a bit of flexibility; the ships can either be in Alphabetic order based on the name alone given for the ship in EnglishNames or as in my case in numeric order based on the given name AND the Displacement value of the ship. So for example, the LST ship in my EnglishNames.cfg file is the first ship shown under Transports, because I named it "001 NLST Small Transport" and at 1,550 tons it is the smallest of my transports, while the LUS ship is the last ship under Transports, because I named it "022 NLUS Ocean Liner" and at 31,650 tons it is the largest of my Transports.

Likewise, I named all of the my 43 Tankers, 111 Merchants, 5 Tenders, 19 Coastals, and 125 Warships (BBs, CAs, CLs, DDs etc) in order of smallest to largest Displacement within each UnitType. For me, this order makes it a lot easier to find the ship in the Recognition Manual when you are pressed for time early in the hunting process. Hope this helps

Cheers,
EmeAzul
EmeAzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-18, 02:19 PM   #5
schlechter pfennig
Commander

EmeAzul, thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for!