SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-23-14, 09:56 PM   #1
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0
Default A Few Mod Questions

1. Does changing the water clarity in SH3 Commander have any effect in the game besides eye candy? Does it effect the AI?

2. Is there a way I can get the flag recognition chart into NYGM?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me.
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-14, 07:38 AM   #2
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzfeld View Post
1. Does changing the water clarity in SH3 Commander have any effect in the game besides eye candy? Does it effect the AI?

2. Is there a way I can get the flag recognition chart into NYGM?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help me.
1) AFAIK, it's just eye candy. (If soneone knows differently, please correct me!)

2) It isn't hard to do provided you know how to mod the menu_1024_768.ini file. The flag recognition chart, called "Flaggen.tga" is already in NYGM. And it is loaded by menu_1024_768.ini. But the modders apparently ran out of real estate. It should appear on the three scope screens (attack scope, Observation scope, and UZO). But there is just no room for it along the crowded top edge, which has a whole series of "hot spots" for slideouts. So it has been moved waaay off-screen to the right, where you literally can not get to it. Worse yet, it is behind everything else on those screens, including the background. There is a tiny bit of space between the slideouts to the right of center where it could be placed That would be just a matter of changing one line in the menu_1024_768.ini file. (Well, OK, three lines. One for each screen.) But the chart still wouldn't show, because it is behind the background. The only way to fix that is to renumber all three of the screen groups. In other words, you would have to manually change the item numbers for 100+ items - for each of the three screens. There is a small program that h.sie made which will do the renumbering for you. But I wouldn't recommend anyone tackle this project unless they had a pretty good idea what they were doing beforehand.

Or you could put the Flaggen chart on another screen. But again, that would require knowing how to mod the menu_1024_768.ini file. This too would not be hard if you know how to work with the menu_1024_768.ini file. But a big learning process if you don't.

As an alternative, how about a printed, hand-held copy? Go to the folder <SH3 game folder>/Data/Menu/Gui/Layout. You will find a file there named Flaggen.tga. Left-click on it to open the file in Picture Viewer. Then click on the File menu, click on Print, and you will have a paper copy to use during play. Not as satisfactory as having an in-game pull-down chart, but a lot easier and faster.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I could give you detailed step-by-step instructions for how to make the changes to menu_1024_768.ini. But those instructions would either have to be pages long, or assume a certain amount of background which you may not have.

If you want to be able to do this sort of thing, there are several tutorials around which give an intro to modding menu_1024_768.ini. You might want to look them over and see if this kind of work appeals to you. Knowing how to work with the menu_1024_768,ini file opens up a lot of possibilities for changing the game to suit your own likes. (It also takes away time you could spend playing the game.... YMMV)

Last edited by BigWalleye; 10-25-14 at 07:05 AM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 12:27 AM   #3
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Quote:
It does imitate thermal layers. Every time you start the game it randomizes a depth under which the sensors can't pick your U-boat. Sometimes the depth is too deep to help you, sometimes it's helpful. If you don't like it, you can edit the imitation off.
Old 10-25-14, 06:22 AM   #4
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
It does imitate thermal layers. Every time you start the game it randomizes a depth under which the sensors can't pick your U-boat. Sometimes the depth is too deep to help you, sometimes it's helpful. If you don't like it, you can edit the imitation off.
SH3 Commander does that, but AFAIK the thermal layer model, which is in Randomzed events.cfg is not switchable and is not affected by the water clarity setting. To remove the thermal layer model, you must delete the entire section headed LAYERS in Randomzed events.cfg - all text between LAYERS and MALFUNCTION SETTINGS.

From the Sh3 Commander User Guide, Page 8:
Quote:
Adjust water clarity: Select this option to make your water more opaque or transparent. 0 is opaque, 20 is transparent. The stock Silent Hunter III setting is 18.
Old 10-25-14, 06:39 AM   #5
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182

Quote:
Adjust water clarity: Select this option to make your water more opaque or transparent. 0 is opaque, 20 is transparent. The stock Silent Hunter III setting is 18.
i have never seen a transparent water for sh3,is there any pic around showing such a water for sh3 ?

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 06:57 AM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post

i have never seen a transparent water for sh3,is there any pic around showing such a water for sh3 ?
Why not try a Water Clarity setting of 20 and post a screenie?
Old 10-25-14, 07:03 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
1) AFAIK, it's just eye candy. (If soneone jkows differently, please correct me!)
Yep, eye candy only.

Quote:

The clearest I've seen/come across was SH3 stock/vanilla.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 07:09 AM   #8
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

Quote:
This is probably underwater visibility, not for transparent view from over the water to underwater.
Old 10-25-14, 07:48 AM   #9
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182

Quote:
Why not try a Water Clarity setting of 20 and post a screenie?
i had done it long time ago and i saw nothing so there is no screenie to post
if there is a way for a transparent water i really would like to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
This is probably underwater visibility, not for transparent view from over the water to underwater.
i guess that this is it, Tycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The clearest I've seen/come across was SH3 stock/vanilla.
if we are talking for the 'from over the water to underwater' and not for the underwater visibility (that Tycho mentioned) then ,also, the stock water is not transparent at all

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-14, 10:52 AM   #10
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Yes I was indeed talking about the underwater clarity as set in SH3 Commander.

So it has no effect on AI.

Thanks for the answers.
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 11:16 AM   #11
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Yes I was indeed talking about the underwater clarity as set in SH3 Commander.

So it has no effect on AI.

Thanks for the answers.
So, it is a MUST HAVE option (setted at 20) for kaleuns fond of harbour raids!!...
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-14, 09:40 AM   #12
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
So, it is a MUST HAVE option (setted at 20) for kaleuns fond of harbour raids!!...
It's no help for me. I always stay inside the boat. Kinda traditional among submariners.
Old 10-28-14, 12:07 PM   #13
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
It's no help for me. I always stay inside the boat. Kinda traditional among submariners.
Me too, lol. I mean that making the water the most transparent possible, you can use your periscope and careful navigation to your advantage when passing near a minefiled or a net... You can (maybe) see them coming before it's too late...
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote