SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-19, 08:29 AM   #1
Jonas Grumby
Watch

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 Navigation Map

Loving the Navigation Table. Loving Wolfpack period. Hats off to the devs.
I have hundreds of hours in Silent Hunter 4 with mods and full realism.
My favorite part was plotting positions and courses of target ships on the chart with the sound gear and working my submarine ahead of the targets to the ambush position without ever making visual contact. There was little exactitude with the hydrophones in Silent Hunter 4 when tracking convoys, but the set worked well enough to get in front of the target ships.
Horseshoes. Hand Grenades. Kapish?

In the multiplayer games I have played so far on Wolfpack, the crews go for the simple approach and attack straight away rather than planning an attack with the tools at our disposal.
I realize there is no time compression, however, it does not take as long as you think to establish a targets position and course.
If I had help, in approximately 12 minutes I could show you EXACTLY on the map where the convoy/ship is, where it will be in the future, and what headings to steer to run wide open on the surface to GET AHEAD OF THEM while never needing to make visual contact until the actual attack, while submerged, with big fat juicy targets passing right by our front porch.
You know, like they did it in real life???
I've tested it repeatedly without any help and the workload is exhausting.
With help it would be a snap.
Now contrast that with the missions I've been on so far-- we spend a half hour or more imitating a porpoise and chasing the tail of the ships ahead of us.
I can't count how many times the target ships appear dead ahead and we are helpless to save ourselves. I mean, blundering into an armed convoy at 18 knots with bone dry tanks is probably not the best idea.
The Navigation Table is really done well. Just a fantastic piece of kit.
No need for you new players to be intimidated by the multitude of tools and operations you can accomplish as The Navigator. I realize you microbrains out there think The Table is too hard to learn. Quite the opposite.
I dive and execute multiple turns at different speeds and when I surface I have never been further than a couple of hundred meters off of my plotting.
Almost every time I am within 100 meters of my plot on a long and circuitous dive. My point is, the Navigation Table has been neglected. In my opinion, it is one of the most important tools we have to do what we are out there to do.
A submarine is an ambush predator. A leopard, not a cheetah.
Rant over. Thanks.
I am TommyGuns on Steam. Please be my friend.
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 09:25 AM   #2
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Jonas,

I’ll add you tonight. I hear you on the realism aspect - it’s my play style as well and wouldn’t have it any other way. I agree it’s frustrating to see stuff in-game that flies in the face of the way I understand it to have been done.

Join the Wolfpack crews and we can get regular, serious guys together - I just played with Neal last night and we’re playing again Fri 9 PM US Central. I’ve joined his crew over in Communities.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 09:56 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yeah, Jonas, join our crew, we could use a good nap on our boat!
Old 03-28-19, 02:45 PM   #4
Jonas Grumby
Watch

Downloads: 123
Default Invites By The Big Shots

Now I'm nervous. The brass is noticing me.
Gulp.
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 02:33 PM   #5
Regoc
Nub

Downloads: 33

Tommy i send friend request

Hope so will meet you in game.

My steam name is same like here at forum

Last edited by Regoc; 03-29-19 at 05:17 PM.
Regoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 02:44 PM   #6
pfs
Nub

Downloads: 1

Agree 100%

Completely enjoy the process of finding. identifying course and speed and I prefer to map the enemy course with expected time markers and locations, then go lay in wait cause my trop skills are still p green. :P
pfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 10:55 PM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regoc View Post
Tommy i send friend request

Hope so will meet you in game.

My steam name is same like here at forum
Regoc in Poland or Croatia?
Old 03-31-19, 08:33 AM   #8
Stevelad
Swabbie

Downloads: 47

Jonas,
%100 with you there mate struggling with the four bearing method though, fancy teaching me your magic?
Mr Red is my steam and Discord.
Stevelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-19, 09:06 AM   #9
zorilya
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

Sounds like a frustration I would have If I was on board yet. I'll be sure to look you guys up when I jump in after built-in VOIP is added.

So much of the pleasure of the task of operating a submarine, I derived from the calculations and deductions required to make a simple course or attack plan that is worth a damn.

Superficially, the task appears to be aim, fire, blow things up. If it truly was that, and only that, it would get old pretty quickly.

I imagine this thread might read like a bunch of elitist rantings to someone who is new to this. So, to anybody reading that feels personally attacked by some of the OPs statements, or any others in the thread, there is so much more to manning a submarine than simply "point and shoot".

Avoid the impulse to dismiss what is not understood yet, because that wall is between you and FUN! The methods are so rewarding to learn and put into practise, and the people in this thread appear to be implicitly inviting you to learn with them, including myself when I join Wolfpack, so help is at hand if you're stuck.
zorilya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation table