SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-17, 01:44 PM   #31
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Just look at the difference between a Gmail account and a Hotmail/MSN Mail/somekindaOutlook online e-mail account. The Microsoft ones are infested with all manner of spam, clickbait and scams. Gmail stays clean. Says something about the inherent integrity of the underlying company. Microsoft and Google are NOT equivalent.

Even so, that's one of the reasons I run Vivaldi.
I have also been considering a different email account because yahoo has turned into a monster with so much BS and advertising its often made me wonder why I cant get a simple email provider that is just email but I guess that's how they make their money.

sure would be nice if companies would just stop adding more and more features and BS and remember the basic rule of KISS

because yahoo has so much BS going on its always slow and having issues because everything causes conflicts with everything else and even the slightest change causes a needed update and then a ripple effect of everything else needing updates because the whole spider web of BS is interconnected and the not so funny thing is, 99% of the time the problems they have are due to the software for ads and spyware and not the actual mail service itself. its fairly common for it to be having problems causing it t be down for a few hours at least one day a week every week
Old 09-16-17, 02:53 PM   #32
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

(off topic about email account)
Regarding email account

I have two email account the one is free and I use it for spam mails and not so important mails

Then I have one I pay for-Here the lowest you have to pay for is 100 Mb and the highest is 1000 or higher - Can't remember how much you can get.

I pay for 100 Mb

Markus

(End of off topic about email account)
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 01:38 PM   #33
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i will be giving vivaldi a try

as i said numberous times, i mainly want

1, 2, & 3 to have trouble free fast browsing

4 & 5 on the list are security and privacy

Last edited by Webster; 09-18-17 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-18-17, 02:11 PM   #34
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Vivaldi seems nice so far but when I open something in vivaldi and create a shortcut to desktop, the shortcut created reverts to opening only with explorer even though my default browser is set to vivaldi and i created the shortcut from vivaldi so I cant figure that out.?

i have to assume i am supposed to "only" do all my internet shortcuts from within the open vivindi browser page instead of the desktop by creating those "speed dial" links and not try to open internet links from the desktop like I used to with explorer?

the only trouble with this is i cant name them as i want to name them (must use the web address) and the icons are huge so this will be kinda hard to get used to and my OCD doesnt like that i cant name my shortcut links like i want to

Last edited by Webster; 09-19-17 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-19-17, 03:24 PM   #35
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Webster, you have Windows 10? You CAN set the default browser for Vivaldi but changing it from a Microsoft product takes an act of Congress and the Control Panel. Even if the option to make your default browser Vivaldi exists in the Vivaldi menus, Windows 10 ignores this. Your choices don't matter to Microsoft. Like I said, you can work around in Control Panel.

Once you get Windows bludgeoned into recognizing Vivaldi as your default web browser desktop shortcuts will automatically open Vivaldi, not that Edge monster thing.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 04:10 PM   #36
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I could have sworn that I posted yesterday on here Webster, about some of the settings you asked about... If you have Vivaldi at its "Default" settings still, in the lower left border is a gear wheel. click on that for the settings

1. Startup tab: Set the "Home Page" (upper right) to "Specific Page", and put in what you want.

2. Same tab: Startup with section to "Home Page"

3. Appearance tab: middle of the page is the "Zoom" - set it to what you want.

4. Tabs tab: Set the "New Tab Page" to "Homepage, and new tabs will open to what you start with...

150% zoom is too much on my computer, and I'd have to use about a 135% instead, else I've got all sorts of sites that don't fit on a single page properly... That means that I needs to go out an buy me a new monitor screen mates... Arrrrr - Happy US National Talk Like A Pirate Day!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 12:02 AM   #37
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Webster, you have Windows 10? You CAN set the default browser for Vivaldi but changing it from a Microsoft product takes an act of Congress and the Control Panel. Even if the option to make your default browser Vivaldi exists in the Vivaldi menus, Windows 10 ignores this. Your choices don't matter to Microsoft. Like I said, you can work around in Control Panel.

Once you get Windows bludgeoned into recognizing Vivaldi as your default web browser desktop shortcuts will automatically open Vivaldi, not that Edge monster thing.
no its win 7

doesnt seem to be a way to force acceptance so im trying to get used to opening vivaldi to click my internet links,.

still dont like that though, im used to direct desktop links

its actually slower then explorer 11 but not bad, just not as quick, it doesnt load everything hangup free though

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I could have sworn that I posted yesterday on here Webster, about some of the settings you asked about... If you have Vivaldi at its "Default" settings still, in the lower left border is a gear wheel. click on that for the settings

1. Startup tab: Set the "Home Page" (upper right) to "Specific Page", and put in what you want.

2. Same tab: Startup with section to "Home Page"

3. Appearance tab: middle of the page is the "Zoom" - set it to what you want.

4. Tabs tab: Set the "New Tab Page" to "Homepage, and new tabs will open to what you start with...

150% zoom is too much on my computer, and I'd have to use about a 135% instead, else I've got all sorts of sites that don't fit on a single page properly... That means that I needs to go out an buy me a new monitor screen mates... Arrrrr - Happy US National Talk Like A Pirate Day!
thanks, i managed to figure those out, the only issue im having still is, im used to internet shortcuts on my desktop, and now, i have to get used to opening the browser page first, before being able to click the links, and the fact i cant name them (because they must use the web address) bugs the heck out of me
Old 09-20-17, 09:12 AM   #38
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I create a web link on the desktop by copying the link first with <Ctrl><C>, then right-click on the desktop, New, Shortcut, then <Ctrl><V> the link into the "Type the location..." box. "Next", then name it on the 2nd page, whatever I want. If you've already got a short-cut, and it's just "http:\\whatever", right-click on the icon, select Properties, use the General tab, and re-name it in the top box of that tab.

The "easiest" way to change which browser opens links, is to use the Windows 7 Start button, and in the right-hand column is "Default Programs". How convenient. I'm suspicious though... You can get to that from the Control Panel also. Anyway, from that Window, choose the 2nd one down, "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" (I had to open it up and see what it says). On that next "Set Associations" page, you'll have to scroll most of the way down, past the file extensions listed, until you get down to the "Protocols" section, and find the "HTTP" and / or the "HTTPS" listings, with the IE icon to their left. They'll both have "url: Hyper Text Transfer Protocol..." in the middle column, and the "Current Default" in the right-hand column. Select which ever one you're going to change, and then click on the "Change Program" button just above there, on the right. You should get a little pop-up and be able to choose Vivaldi right from there. As soon as you click on the program icon in the pop-up, Windows will go to work and change the setting. The only issue I've found with doing that, is that newer / better / kinder / gentler Microsoft ~knows~ that you really didn't mean to do that association change, so every once in a while, after an update, they'll put it back to Internet Explorer for you. Isn't that nice?... - I then go back in and put it the way I want it.

My Vivaldi since yesterday afternoon has had a "hitch" in loading pages, where it will go to like 90% of a load, hang for a second or 2, and then continue. I just thought it was this computer... I'll check into that on one of the other computers I've got Vivaldi installed on... I suspect recent MS updates.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 12:46 PM   #39
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I create a web link on the desktop by copying the link first with <Ctrl><C>, then right-click on the desktop, New, Shortcut, then <Ctrl><V> the link into the "Type the location..." box. "Next", then name it on the 2nd page, whatever I want. If you've already got a short-cut, and it's just "http:\\whatever", right-click on the icon, select Properties, use the General tab, and re-name it in the top box of that tab.

The "easiest" way to change which browser opens links, is to use the Windows 7 Start button, and in the right-hand column is "Default Programs". How convenient. I'm suspicious though... You can get to that from the Control Panel also. Anyway, from that Window, choose the 2nd one down, "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" (I had to open it up and see what it says). On that next "Set Associations" page, you'll have to scroll most of the way down, past the file extensions listed, until you get down to the "Protocols" section, and find the "HTTP" and / or the "HTTPS" listings, with the IE icon to their left. They'll both have "url: Hyper Text Transfer Protocol..." in the middle column, and the "Current Default" in the right-hand column. Select which ever one you're going to change, and then click on the "Change Program" button just above there, on the right. You should get a little pop-up and be able to choose Vivaldi right from there. As soon as you click on the program icon in the pop-up, Windows will go to work and change the setting. The only issue I've found with doing that, is that newer / better / kinder / gentler Microsoft ~knows~ that you really didn't mean to do that association change, so every once in a while, after an update, they'll put it back to Internet Explorer for you. Isn't that nice?... - I then go back in and put it the way I want it.

My Vivaldi since yesterday afternoon has had a "hitch" in loading pages, where it will go to like 90% of a load, hang for a second or 2, and then continue. I just thought it was this computer... I'll check into that on one of the other computers I've got Vivaldi installed on... I suspect recent MS updates.
i will play around with it using your directions and see if it works

mine is also a little slow loading opening web pages after vivaldi did an update yesterday so....
Old 09-20-17, 12:56 PM   #40
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
The "easiest" way to change which browser opens links, is to use the Windows 7 Start button, and in the right-hand column is "Default Programs".
ding, ding, ding, ding, we have a winner

even though i did set vivaldi as default browser in internet tools, it wasnt using it to open links outside of an open vivaldi browser window, but when i did it through the start button default programs thing, now all my desktop shortcuts open in vivaldi now without needing to do anything else. i guess those were part of explorer and not the OS so maybe thats why it didnt work until i did it from start menu.

the only thing left is not having the favorites bar and i had a bunch of shortcuts there for things like my internet radio stations and multiple links for organizing groups of links such as money with paypal, credit card, bank, stock account. so i will just have to make a desktop folder for those and do it from the desktop now

Last edited by Webster; 09-20-17 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 01:34 PM   #41
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
the only thing left is not having the favorites bar and i had a bunch of shortcuts there for things like my internet radio stations and multiple links for organizing groups of links such as money with paypal, credit card, bank, stock account. so i will just have to make a desktop folder for those and do it from the desktop now
Can't you use the Bookmarks Bar (Ctrl+Shift+B)?

I've been using Vivaldi for awhile now and really like it. All it needs is the builtin email and download manager, and it'll be just like Opera 12+, which I loved.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 03:44 PM   #42
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Those Vivaldi guys have been doing great work with a too small crew. They'd love to drop the Chromium engine but don't have the manpower to do it yet. Same with other improvements.

Give 'em time. You can't do that much right without attracting a lot of attention. Webster, I'll get back to you on the favorites/bookmarks bar.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-17, 11:58 PM   #43
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Those Vivaldi guys have been doing great work with a too small crew. They'd love to drop the Chromium engine but don't have the manpower to do it yet. Same with other improvements.

Give 'em time. You can't do that much right without attracting a lot of attention. Webster, I'll get back to you on the favorites/bookmarks bar.
ya, it looks good but i dont think they got around to making the favorites bar as user and customization friendly as it should be

daily spyware removed is down from an average of 150 with explorer to only 15-35 now

Last edited by Webster; 09-25-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 05:46 AM   #44
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
such as money with paypal, credit card, bank, stock account.
Red Alert... Red Alert...

I hope you now what you are doing. I did and do such things only from an ultra-tighted machine, especially stock account management and banking. Windows 7 is NOT SAFE anymore. Microsoft has reverse-installed plenty of telemetry and spyware from W10 into W7, and hid that behind misleading patch descriptions or rightout lies, and I assume you did your updates for W7 frequently? If not, your machine by now is a malware paradise. Also for bugs that ordinary scanners would not get triggered by.

In W10, every keytroke gets overwatched and phoned home to Mother. If this ind of telemetry also was put into W7, then every time you log into your accounts for banking and sticks, Micosoft reads your account names and passwords.

Do. Never. Use. Windows/Apple/Google. For. Money. Stuff.

If I ever go back to stocks buying, I would do it via a separated device and virtual network, TOR or something.
Old 09-25-17, 11:31 AM   #45
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Red Alert... Red Alert...

I hope you now what you are doing. I did and do such things only from an ultra-tighted machine, especially stock account management and banking. Windows 7 is NOT SAFE anymore. Microsoft has reverse-installed plenty of telemetry and spyware from W10 into W7, and hid that behind misleading patch descriptions or rightout lies, and I assume you did your updates for W7 frequently? If not, your machine by now is a malware paradise. Also for bugs that ordinary scanners would not get triggered by.

In W10, every keytroke gets overwatched and phoned home to Mother. If this ind of telemetry also was put into W7, then every time you log into your accounts for banking and sticks, Micosoft reads your account names and passwords.

Do. Never. Use. Windows/Apple/Google. For. Money. Stuff.

If I ever go back to stocks buying, I would do it via a separated device and virtual network, TOR or something.
i have updates disabled and even had to uninstall some updates that auto loaded anyway which was causing problems.

i noticed a pattern with microsoft doing nefarious things after they stop supporting an older OS then "suddenly" there are "new" updates several months later and the OS stops working as well. im sure they were disabling things trying to break the OS to slow it down and cause glitches so you buy their new OS.

im as careful as i can be about it