SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-13, 02:25 AM   #1
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default WOTA: U 96 - mobile submarine simulation for iOS

Website: http://www.wolves-of-the-atlantic.co...-mobilesu.html

NAME CHANGED TO "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - U 96"

"WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - Arcade Missions" …Winter 2014 for iOS Edit: <-- NAME WILL BE CHANGED

This video just shows the start menu of the first title of the WOTA submarine simulation series: "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - Arcade Missions". (Graphics quality of iPod touch 5 gen., iPhone 4S, iPad2)… Well, actually I think it also shows some nice mobile 3D Graphics and I really didn't thought I could even add this PostFX… but it works :-)

Does "Arcade Missions" mean "arcade mode"? No!
It's a realistic U-Boat simulation for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. But instead of freely navigating during the missions of a campaign the games offers a fast arcade style campaign mode to go from battle to battle without the need to use a map and with no land at all in V1.0 - hence the name "Arcade Missions". Also it does not offer "super extra realism" like the later titles will do.
Some more details after Christmas…

Please note: The Seehund sub sim will be delayed because of this title - I've changed target of development to "Arcade Missions" already in october.

Supported platforms:

first:
- iOS

Later after the other mobile titles of WOTA are out:
then possibly:
- Mac OS X

later possibly supported platforms: (in order of their possible release dates):
- Windows
- Linux

Features:

Features of "WOTA: U 96"

• A Type VIIC U-Boat simulation.

• Full realism. Physical accurate simulation of ballast tanks, engines and hydrodynamic behavior.

• A new campaign style with fast access to combat situations (no long range map navigation, no land).

• Tactical map (short range)
• Historically accurate AI and ASDIC behavior based on original research.

• U-Boat interior (Command Room).

• Standard Torpedoes.

• Standard weapons (2 cm Flak 30, MG-34, 8.8 cm Sk C/35 naval gun).

• A basic set up of enemy ships which will be extended by updates.

• Physical accurate Flight Simulation, the aircraft AI controls the aircrafts with a virtual joystick.

• Game Center support.

Release Date (iOS): 2015

Game will be improved with each update. New ship types etc. will be added as soon as they are finished. The goal is to push out this title fast.

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic™ - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forum • facebook

Last edited by v-i-c-; 01-17-15 at 07:09 AM.
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 05:34 PM   #2
iPadCary
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
ETAs?

WOTA: AM
WOTA: Seehund
WOTA: Full Sim

Steve Jobs
iPadCary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 11:23 AM   #3
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadCary View Post
ETAs?

WOTA: AM
WOTA: Seehund
WOTA: Full Sim
WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - Arcade Missions: this winter
WOTA: Seehund Type XXVIIB: after WOTA: AM
WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic: after WOTA: Seehund Type XXVIIB

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic™ - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forum • facebook
Old 01-07-14, 02:09 AM   #4
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

The name of WOTA: AM will be changed to get rid of the word "arcade"

Old 01-10-14, 08:12 AM   #5
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

New name is "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - U 96" because this is the Uboat that you can use in the game.

Last edited by v-i-c-; 01-17-15 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-31-14, 07:47 AM   #6
Sung
Developer

Downloads: 6

Hi ViC,

what comes out first. U96 Arcade oder Seehund Mission?

I'm in talk with a collegue who is interessted in that kind of games for Iphone.

Greetings Sung

SILENT DEPTH the submarine simulation for your mobile device
www.silentdepth.com
https://www.facebook.com/silentdepth/

Silent Depth Manual
Sung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-14, 08:39 AM   #7
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

U 96

Old 01-17-15, 08:36 PM   #8
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

I've updated the description of the game.

http://www.wolves-of-the-atlantic.co...-mobilesu.html

Finally, the first title of the WOTA series will be released in 2015: "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - U 96" (was "Arcade Missions")

What's the difference to the later titles of the WOTA series and what does (the former title) Arcade Missions mean?
Arcade Missions because of the new and different way how a campaign and patrol works: a quick way to go directly from one battle to the next by playing a patrol in stages. Without reducing realism this offers a faster gameplay and a better mobile gaming experience. Also less experienced players won't get lost on the map while searching for action, because in this faster style of gameplay works without the need to navigate on a long range map. Of course the later titles of the WOTA Submarine Simulation Series will offer a more complex simulation and they will come with land and with a long range map.

Quick explaination of this new mobile style of game play and how it will work in the upcoming subsim:

- Directly after you started a new campaign or a new patrol your boat will virtually travel towards its ordered destination (with extreme time compression turned on) and within seconds you will enter a new stage of the patrol which can be a combat situation or a situation where you must make an important decision. Usually before this style of gameplay it would have been necessary to do a time consuming navigation of your U-Boat to the ordered position or to a location where you hope to find an enemy. Basically when your are between playable stages on a Patrol your U-Boot follows the orders of the BdU, it will change its position kind of automatically, and while you are virtually travelling to a new position you might get reports about possibly interceptable targets within range or you suddenly will be under attack or your crew spots a ship. Of course you still have the freedom (unless you've got an direct order) to decide if you want to intercept a target within range, if you want to attack a spotted ship or if you want to try to continue traveling to your main target position.

- A playable stage can be anything like meeting a single merchant, an aircraft, a hunter killer group or a large convoy. Any of those stages might start at different weather conditions, time of day and depth of sea… Of course the state of the weather will change over time and more enemy ships or aircrafts might appear at the scene.

- At the beginning of a stage you might find your submarine in an uncomfortable situation, this could for example require to crash dive or to give other emergency orders. Or you might be lucky and you find yourself just at the right place to get some easy kills or you will be in a situation where it is necessary to shadow a convoy until you reach a good position for your attack etc.

- You can't end a stage of the patrol while your boat is in danger or while the enemy is near. Once you are out of any danger you can leave the stage. At the end of such a stage you have two options: return to base, which means end this combat patrol (but not the campaign) to refresh supplies and repair the Uboat, or you can continue the patrol. If you proceed a war patrol the resulting score of the last stage will be multiplied with a "factor of bravery". Keep in mind that you need enough diesel to return to port and that you might get under attack on your journey home. There are only two exception how to end a stage while being in danger:
- "Hissing the white flag". When you know there is no chance to save your U-Boat anymore then your highest priority should be to save your crew by surfacing and by giving order all hands to leave the boat, this process takes some time and success depends on the current situation. While leaving the U-Boat your crew automatically scuttles the submarine. Depending on the number or survivors and the success of scutteling, your final score of the patrol will be multiplied with a "factor of humanity" and a "factor of dutifulness".
- If your sub is critically damaged our out of fuel which means you can't return to port anymore then you can send a message to the BdU. The current stage (but not the patrol) ends in this case. While you are waiting (time compression) for friendly vessels to pick you up you could still be attacked by the enemy.

- At anytime you can stop playing and the game will be saved in its current state. At the smae time your current score will be transmitted to Game Center. This saved game state can be used only once to continue playing, if you get killed the campaign will be over. There is no way to load your saved game state anymore! Just like in real life the most important goal is to survive. You really only have one life per campaign, once you got killed you will start with a score of zero again! The game runs endless, there is no limit. Stay alive as long as possible and sink as many ships as you can then you might become a high scoring U-Boat Ace on Game Center. The high score on Game Center will show the highest score and the most successful campaign for each player only. You must set your own new record to be able to submit another score to Game Center.
Features of "WOTA: U 96"

• A Type VIIC U-Boat simulation.

• Full realism. Physical accurate simulation of ballast tanks, engines and hydrodynamic behavior.

• A new campaign style with fast access to combat situations (no long range map navigation, no land).

• Tactical map (short range)
• Historically accurate AI and ASDIC behavior based on original research.

• U-Boat interior (Command Room).

• Standard Torpedoes.

• Standard weapons (2 cm Flak 30, MG-34, 8.8 cm Sk C/35 naval gun).

• A basic set up of enemy ships which will be extended by updates.

• Physical accurate Flight Simulation, the aircraft AI controls the aircrafts with a virtual joystick.

• Game Center support.

Release Date (iOS): 2015

Old 01-17-15, 08:51 PM   #9
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

…and I've added a general simple FAQ for WOTA: http://www.wolves-of-the-atlantic.co...asubmarin.html

Old 01-18-15, 06:30 PM   #10
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

"Depending on the number or survivors and the success of scutteling, your final score of the patrol will be multiplied with a "factor of humanity" and a "factor of dutifulness"."

So I'm guessing there's a chance the scuttling can fail and the U-Boat can be captured by the enemy (like U-505 and a few others were)? I'd imagine BdU would be pretty irate about this, and it would decrease your score. Very interesting.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 07:18 AM   #11
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Yes, it takes time to flood the boat and to destroy all secrets like the depth gauges and code books.

Old 01-19-15, 07:23 AM   #12
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-i-c- View Post
Yes, it takes time to flood the boat and to destroy all secrets like the depth gauges and code books.
Nice

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15, 07:42 AM   #13
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

But this is nothing special. Just a detail for the final score of the campaign a detail which unfortunately depends a lot on luck - you usually won't plan to give your boat up and you could be in a rain of bullets while trying to do that.

Old 01-25-15, 01:45 PM   #14
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Snippet of the last WOTA-Newsletter about the progress made in 2014:

Progress made in 2014:

- Visually WOTA definitely reached desktop quality on mobile now.
- Implemented my custom high performant global illumination system.
- new custom physically based shaders with real time IBL (Image based lighting).
- Improved the water shader with transparency and refractions.
- Water color based on weather and lighting.
- Water shader works now for higher altitudes of the camera - up to 10,000 meters.
- New realistic underwater environment with correct visibility, crepuscular rays and caustics.
- new FX, fire, smoke, depth charge explosions, large water splashes and new ship trails.
- New dynamic clouds with correct lighting. Weather FX like thunderbolts (this all works with real time IBL).
- All new 3D model of the Type VII U-Boat „U 96“.
- Highly detailed 3D interor of the command room.
- New buoyancy and underwater physics system.
- Correct hydrodynamic simulation - matches historic Type VII test data by 90% in all situations.
- Correct simulation of the diesel engines and propulsion. (which means for you: absolutely correct acceleration and fuel consumption).
- Correct simulation of all ballast tanks (including damage) based on newest scientific research for computer controlled ballast tanks. (my head is still smoking)
- Physically correct aircraft simulation based on the blade element theory
- Aircraft AI which really flies the aircraft with a virtual joystick. (crazy stuff, would in theory even work with RC models if they are fitted with sensors)
- New skin shader for the new characters.
- School of fish implemented into my underwater environment
- Tons of stuff and optimizations under the hood.

Some youtube movies (please visit my channel to watch more):
- A great example of the visual quality of WOTA and the new lighting/shaders:
- Heavy seas and new clouds (note: this shows the outdated buoyancy system):
- AI example, aircraft and gunners (note: the graphics in the video are terrible, they are made for testing of the AI only!)

Name of the first game changed to "WOTA: U 96"
It will be released in 2015 (more earlier than later). Learn more about "WOTA: U 99“: http://www.wolves-of-the-atlantic.co...at-subsim.html
(the website is available in english and german language)

New Screenshots:
http://www.wolves-of-the-atlantic.co...tlantic-1.html

Old 11-13-23, 10:14 AM   #15
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh View Post
The WOTA Newsletter snippet showcases an impressive array of advancements in 2014, transforming the mobile experience to desktop quality. From custom global illumination and physically based shaders to realistic underwater environments and dynamic clouds, each element reflects meticulous attention to detail. The addition of a detailed Type VII U-Boat, 3D interior, and accurate physics simulations, including hydrodynamics and ballast tanks, elevates the authenticity. The integration of blade element theory for aircraft simulation and innovative AI for virtual joystick control underscore the commitment to realism. These developments, coupled with underwater elements like schools of fish, reveal a dedication to both visual and functional excellence.
Thank you. Yes, I know it is already looooooooong in development. And 2014 is soon 10 years ago. But actually I will really release it and still working on it.

Beside that. You are an AI aren’t you?